irrationally cheap/icloud question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irrationally cheap/icloud question

i hate recurring expenses but i think I've about reached my limit with trying to keep my data with iTunes manual backup.  could never get wifi backup to work.

I've got crashplan to backup my main computers and local backup hard drives as well.

but I'm starting to get befuddled by apple.  they keep advising me to get icloud.

transferring data from phones and ipads seems to get more and more difficult without icloud.  as best as i can tell, we have four iphones and 6 ipads and 3 imacs running in our house.

tell me why icloud is a bad way to spend $36 a year.  it seems like a lot of apps want me on icloud as well.

I'm too old to understand all this cloud stuff.  why can't i just plug my phone into iTunes or wifi backup?

please tell me icloud will make data transfer between devices easy peasy lemon squeezy.  that would be worth $36/year.   i could get that for my wife for valentine's day.

I have I cloud backup.  I would be the first to admit that I do not totally understand how it works but your phone and iPads all backup automatically at night with wifi.  you dont think about it. Also you can access iBooks on all devices etc.  It also keeps your devices from filling up too soon.  I pay 0.99/month for storage. 1 laptop/ 1 iPad, 1 phone.

Comment

iTunes is a mess. Pay for iCloud and fuggedaboutit.

Comment

icloud has saved us more pain than we have ever spent on it. My wife's phone met its demise on a vacation and we only lost a day's worth of iphone pictures.

Comment

I agree. Just pay for it and don't think about it. Also, you will likely need the next level up of storage at some point. Apple is so good at keeping you hooked.

Comment

I use both Google Drive and iCloud. They aren’t a huge cost and I’m paranoid enough to want belt and suspenders for my backup.

Would you pay $36 to get your kids’ baby pictures back? That’s what iCloud is for.

Comment

i use OneDrive for my photo and PC backups and on my phone i have i cloud free tier and i have Onedrive app installed. I disabled photo backups to icloud (which is using big chunk of space) and have Onedrive to backup photos and videos and icloud free tier is enough to backup rest of the items (settings, app data, etc) on my phone.

Comment

We are an iPhone family and each have our own account and back up the phones for free right now using the free iCloud storage. If every device has their own iCloud account then you likely don’t need to pay at all because each gets 5gb free. It is easy as long as you have space.

I use google photos for our photos and pay for a terabyte of storage ($10 a month). No not even close to using it all. I don’t back up the photos otherwise that would use the iCloud space and I would be paying Apple extra for storing instead of Google.

The only thing that would require me to need extra iCloud space are the photos. The actual phone apps and data don’t come close to using the free 5gb for a single device.

Amazon has an unlimited free photo storage option for Prime users available that I’ve heard works well — my brother told me to ditch my $10 a month and switch to that to save $.

If you want the simplest option then iCloud for everything. If you want to save $ then use just the free storage.
                An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
                www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

my troll answer is this:

stop buying a product that is made by a company that deliberately sabotages relatively new models so you will buy the new one.

join the world of Android, where a 3 year old phone works like the day you got it unless there is a hardware failure. i'm on my third Galaxy, got rid of my S3 because the charging port stopped working after awhile (hardware failure, not sabotage), my S5 only because I felt like it and could afford it, and am currently well into the life of my S7 with no performance issues whatsoever. my dad carries around an original Galaxy with a replaced aftermarket battery and a 30G SD card i bought him for like $10. works fine.

Comment

If you don't want to think about it, then the $36 bucks is probably a decent way of backing up all that.

If you'd like to do your own backups at a fraction of the cost and with just as much (if not more) reliability, look at S3 with Amazon Web Services.
                    I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

We are a cross platform family using a lot of data and prime.members.

Our setup:
                      Dropbox 1tb. With automatic iftt to Amazon prime setup. To be even more paranoid we have odrive setup for.local backup of the Dropbox and Amazon drives

All this for the entire extended family..nine devices for $100 Dropbox and prime benefit. And the local 4tb external drive we have for grab and go

Comment

i manually backup my iphone/ipad.

agree it means there is always risk of lost data (since the last backup, as well as if backup drive becomes corrupt).

all my pics are google photos...thats honestly the best change you should make.

so no, i refuse to pay apple more.

Comment

my troll answer is this: stop buying a product that is made by a company that deliberately sabotages relatively new models so you will buy the new one.

I agree with you. After years of having an older iphone and seeing the prices of newer models climb higher and higher with no discounts being offered, I switched to Samsung Galaxy S8+ which had a BOGO offer from T-mobile. I now have a great phone at a great price and can upload my photos to Google or Onedrive. I don't have the annoying pop ups from iCloud about accepting ne terms and conditions that my wife's iPhone does.

All my contacts and calendar are via Google so no worries about loss of data.

Comment

The icloud backup is pretty nice. I used to only manually backup too, but it is more of a pain to remember to do it all of the time.  With iCloud, I had a phone break on me and all I did was go to the the store and everything downloaded automatically to it from the Cloud.

Comment

my troll answer is this: stop buying a product that is made by a company that deliberately sabotages relatively new models so you will buy the new one. 
                              Click to expand…

I agree with you. After years of having an older iphone and seeing the prices of newer models climb higher and higher with no discounts being offered, I switched to Samsung Galaxy S8+ which had a BOGO offer from T-mobile. I now have a great phone at a great price and can upload my photos to Google or Onedrive. I don’t have the annoying pop ups from iCloud about accepting ne terms and conditions that my wife’s iPhone does.

All my contacts and calendar are via Google so no worries about loss of data.

My wife is on apple we both use google calendar as well. Easy to view across devices and saves us a ton of trouble!

Comment

Working...
                              X