Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another what car should we buy thread - Volvo XC60?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another what car should we buy thread - Volvo XC60?

I know very little about cars and espouse the buy best (used) car for cheap. But looks like I will need to compromise a bit on this one with fiance.

Unfortunately, we need a second car since we both need to drive to work (I know this is the norm for most couples, but we used to live in NYC and that wasn't the case). Current car is a 2012 Prius V, fully paid off. I will be driving this car to work since I have the longer commute.

So - fiance wants a "luxury" SUV. He wants new although I could prolly convince him to buy CPO. He wants something like the Volvo XC60.

In terms of space needs - we have a baby and 11 year old bonus son part time. So needs to transport 2 adults, 1 baby and pre-teen. We don't plan to have more kids. We want/need AWD since it snows a lot here in Philadelphia.

So, what is best value for luxury SUV, is that an oxymoron? And yes, we can pay cash for this. I still have student loans but at 2.25% will be < $75K by the time we purchase.

Please, no mini-van suggestions

I know very little about cars and espouse the buy best (used) car for cheap. But looks like I will need to compromise a bit on this one with fiance.

Unfortunately, we need a second car since we both need to drive to work (I know this is the norm for most couples, but we used to live in NYC and that wasn’t the case). Current car is a 2012 Prius V, fully paid off. I will be driving this car to work since I have the longer commute.

So – fiance wants a “luxury” SUV. He wants new although I could prolly convince him to buy CPO. He wants something like the Volvo XC60.

In terms of space needs – we have a baby and 11 year old bonus son part time. So needs to transport 2 adults, 1 baby and pre-teen. We don’t plan to have more kids. We want/need AWD since it snows a lot here in Philadelphia.

So, what is best value for luxury SUV, is that an oxymoron? And yes, we can pay cash for this. I still have student loans but at 2.25% will be < $75K by the time we purchase.

Just went through this and basically the exact same needs. Am very familiar with this car, its really nice and of course safe. Basically geared towards families. You can get a third row option as well for the occasional extra people. For things like toyota, honda, there may be no savings to buying one or two years old. Make sure to check make/model/year for any odd issues as do sometimes occur.

We already have a 'nice' SUV (lexus rx350 which is amazing) and we were going to go for this one for our second car (wife started working again), but after looking into everything basically found best value in a Kia Sorento (rated one of the highest depreciations in first couple years). Just really depends on overall what you want. For us it was simply a commuter for this job only.

You can get a Sorento/Santa Fe with about 20k miles just off lease for real steals and basically new 2015-17 for about 15k. Better options, higher prices. Thats about the cheapest/newest you'll find. Highlanders are very nice and would also strongly consider that, obviously more expensive but could easily last for 250k. They range 30-50k new depending, but you can get a couple years old easy at 30k too, so just line up options ,etc... to fit goals. At some point the possibly slightly extra for new is really just insurance. Its strange but more and more new cars are very competitively priced with recently used, if you dont have some specific color etc...you need.

Comment

Unfortunately, we need a second car since we both need to drive to work (I know this is the norm for most couples, but we used to live in NYC and that wasn’t the case). Current car is a 2012 Prius V, fully paid off. I will be driving this car to work since I have the longer commute.

So – fiance wants a “luxury” SUV. He wants new although I could prolly convince him to buy CPO. He wants something like the Volvo XC60.

In terms of space needs – we have a baby and 11 year old bonus son part time. So needs to transport 2 adults, 1 baby and pre-teen. We don’t plan to have more kids. We want/need AWD since it snows a lot here in Philadelphia.

Click to expand…

Just went through this and basically the exact same needs. Am very familiar with this car, its really nice and of course safe. Basically geared towards families. You can get a third row option as well for the occasional extra people. For things like toyota, honda, there may be no savings to buying one or two years old. Make sure to check make/model/year for any odd issues as do sometimes occur.

We already have a ‘nice’ SUV (lexus rx350 which is amazing) and we were going to go for this one for our second car (wife started working again), but after looking into everything basically found best value in a Kia Sorento (rated one of the highest depreciations in first couple years). Just really depends on overall what you want. For us it was simply a commuter for this job only.

You can get a Sorento/Santa Fe with about 20k miles just off lease for real steals and basically new 2015-17 for about 15k. Better options, higher prices. Thats about the cheapest/newest you’ll find. Highlanders are very nice and would also strongly consider that, obviously more expensive but could easily last for 250k. They range 30-50k new depending, but you can get a couple years old easy at 30k too, so just line up options ,etc… to fit goals. At some point the possibly slightly extra for new is really just insurance. Its strange but more and more new cars are very competitively priced with recently used, if you dont have some specific color etc…you need.

uh, my eyes just glazed over. That's how little/little interested I am. Ha. And no idea what those other cars are you mentioned.

Actually the Rx350 - we were gonna get that CPO of one that a family member currently leases. But just found out that won't work. Step dad owns auto/body shop and very opinionated about cars. Just said Volvo is a no go for expensive repairs and basically he said it was a crap car.

Comment

A couple of generic tips: a. With a pre-owned vehicle over two year old, you can usually hunt around and get an idea of dealer wholesale pricing.  Use this price as you negotiate.  b. If you have Truecar or something similar, also use to find out what folks in your area are actually paying, with the mean pricing as an 'upper limit'.  c. If going for a new vehicle, determine a price you will pay, call around to dealers to a. find out if they have what you want and b. will agree to price 'x'.

Earlier this year, bought a new Honda CRV using c. and saved about 3k, though it took about 50 calls to dealers in a 250 mile radius (most didn't have the color we were seeking ironically).

Comment

Click to expand…

We already have a ‘nice’ SUV (lexus rx350 which is amazing) and we were going to go for this one for our second car (wife started working again), but after looking into everything basically found best value in a Kia Sorento (rated one of the highest depreciations in first couple years). Just really depends on overall what you want. For us it was simply a commuter for this job only.

You can get a Sorento/Santa Fe with about 20k miles just off lease for real steals and basically new 2015-17 for about 15k. Better options, higher prices. Thats about the cheapest/newest you’ll find. Highlanders are very nice and would also strongly consider that, obviously more expensive but could easily last for 250k. They range 30-50k new depending, but you can get a couple years old easy at 30k too, so just line up options ,etc… to fit goals. At some point the possibly slightly extra for new is really just insurance. Its strange but more and more new cars are very competitively priced with recently used, if you dont have some specific color etc…you need.

Click to expand…

uh, my eyes just glazed over. That’s how little/little interested I am. Ha. And no idea what those other cars are you mentioned.

Actually the Rx350 – we were gonna get that CPO of one that a family member currently leases. But just found out that won’t work. Step dad owns auto/body shop and very opinionated about cars. Just said Volvo is a no go for expensive repairs and basically he said it was a crap car.

I dont know of a single car that has cheap repairs. True for volvo that repairs in general are expensive I've read as well. Less reliable than toyota/honda/etc...same is true with MB and BMW. After a few years if they need something done it can be a pain. So I threw any of that out balancing cost/value/longevity/reliability.

Cant really go wrong with the Lexus. Its safe, super comfy, very reliable (a toyota really) and you can find decent deals. Whats crazy as you look at the price of something thats off the same base like the Toyota Highlander, it can end up also being spendy and almost no different than just actually buying the luxury vehicle. You should be able to find 2016-2015 RXs with 15-50k miles for 30-20k. May take some searching saavy, but you will find them. Just depends on where you want to go on age/miles, etc...Theyre excellent vehicles.

Comment

1) a luxury SUV is a large cash suck. but you know that.

2) most ppl dont need AWD. snow tires will do just fine. lots of evidence on this subject. Now if you find one with AWD in your budget and you still want it, sure.

but my 2 cents for value: Acura or Lexus. reliable, nice, hold their value, relatively easy to source parts, good selection.

Comment

with real baby seats, i would say xc60 too small in the rear seat area.

i would consider larger suv's than that if it were me.  pay particular attention to back seat space.

(minivan best)  and ducks for cover.

Comment

Another vote for Lexus. Also, Infiniti has really nice and reliable vehicles with very good deals when they come off lease. More sporty (faster) than Lexus but not as luxurious.

Comment

Comment

friend just bought lexus rx350 and it seems nice. i’m sure it is reliable.

Comment

Can't go wrong with lexus, though IMO the current RX is pretty ugly.

You want to decide how much rear seat legroom you want, ie: full size SUV or smaller one.  Consider carseats as mentioned above and how big the 11yo is or might soon be..

Comment

We have an xc90 and the dreaded mini-van. An suv will be more than adequate for your kids. I like my Volvo a lot, has had no issues, but it is annoying to take in for service and pay $120-610 depending on mileage. If you had to have luxury, I would vote Acura MDX.

Comment

after some deliberation I also pick acura mdx

case closed, done deal.

Comment

"Bonus son"  :lol:

Yeah, definitely get all wheel drive/ 4WD.  Don't let anyone talk you out of that.  You can add snow tires to a 4wd vehicle too.

If you're getting a Volvo, just go for the XC90.  Extra space is worth it, if just for the one baby.  Remember, you'll have things like carseats, strollers, family, kid's friends, etc.  Later on sporting equipment, book bags, clothes, you name it. Sometimes you want to go shopping with the kid and all of the kid's accoutrements are still in the car.  No problem when you have the space.

Best "value" luxury SUV - Acura MDX.  You can get one nicely equipped, AWD in the low 40s after discount.

Lexus RX is a little small IMO, though not much more than MDX.  MDX size is just-right, same with XC90.  There is a 3 row RX coming out soon but that might be longer than you want to wait.

Either way, I would just be careful not to add many options/packages which can dramatically increase the price (and accelerate your depreciation).

Comment

Can’t go wrong with lexus, though IMO the current RX is pretty ugly.

You want to decide how much rear seat legroom you want, ie: full size SUV or smaller one.  Consider carseats as mentioned above and how big the 11yo is or might soon be..

Almost none of these cars are that attractive. Our RX has a lot more room than the Sorento. When we were looking the new highlanders had a bunch of room.

If you're looking for an actual 3rd row seats this mid-size SUV range isnt really great and you'd want to look at something more.

All these cars are one curve away from looking like a minivan.

Comment

Working...
                              X