Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CME Cruise

Has anyone gone on a CME cruise?

It seems the fares are often much higher than those found on the cruiselines, making their value (vs. regular cruise without CME) questionable even at a relatively high tax rate (~45% in my case).

Some CME companies claim they will match cruiseline prices. Anyone have experience with that?

Thanks!

they typically with allow SO to cruise free with the price.  some have airfare incorporated and excursions included too.  all depends.

Comment

In general, the cost of attending a medical conference with a travel perk (ie cruise, skiing, fancy beach resort, etc.), when you add back the cost of registration, now north of $1000 for lots of meetings and use the recommended “discounted” lodging, you are often better off just going on a cruise/skiing/beaching on your own dime.

Comment

In general, the cost of attending a medical conference with a travel perk (ie cruise, skiing, fancy beach resort, etc.), when you add back the cost of registration, now north of $1000 for lots of meetings and use the recommended “discounted” lodging, you are often better off just going on a cruise/skiing/beaching on your own dime.

Or arranging your own CME...I just bought a CyberMonday discounted review course from American Seminar Institute (no financial conflict).

Comment

If American Seminar Institute is all downloaded audio or mobile video courses, how could the travel deduction hold up to an IRS audit?

Comment

I do the course while I am at XYZ Hotel. It's definitely sketchy...but I take solace with stories like this: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/06/04/irs-audit-conferences-cost-taxpayers-millions/2388261/

Comment

Good info on the free spouse ticket.

No advertised ski or tropical meeting has reasonable tuition rates anymore. I guess if you spend big on hotel, air, and dining the $800+ tuitions may be worth it.

IMO the best value for expensing CME are local hospital or society meetings, esp canadian meetings.

Comment

No advertised ski or tropical meeting has reasonable tuition rates anymore. I guess if you spend big on hotel, air, and dining the $800+ tuitions may be worth it.

IMO the best value for expensing CME are local hospital or society meetings, esp canadian meetings.

$800? I must have underpriced WCICon.
                Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Speaking of the Con -- ComicCon is about to release open reg on Dec 9th.  Come down and enjoy San Diego

We're already set with our 4Day+preview!  would love to meet up with anyone going.

Comment

Use one of the travel come groups. I just used travel medical seminars for a trip to Hawaii. My cme certificate lists Hawaii as location

Comment

Use one of the travel come groups. I just used travel medical seminars for a trip to Hawaii. My cme certificate lists Hawaii as location

Those seem so squirrelly to me.
                      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Click to expand…

it's okay!  you can make it up in MLM.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

it’s okay!  you can make it up in MLM.

????

I'll let you resell your ticket for $800 if you send me 10% of your profit. (That's a joke for those who don't get it.)

Comment

Working...
                          X