what time does your day start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what time does your day start?

This morning I got up around 5 AM to take care of our newborn so the wifey could get some rest.  I was able to care for him and put him to sleep. Afterwards I was able to workout and now am in the process of heading into the hospital for a shift.  I found this morning to be pretty productive.  My shift starts around 7 AM but i dont head in until 730 to 8.  We have 2 small kids and usually when i'm coming home from work the evening are very hectic ( bath, dinner, sleep, clean). I think I may just start waking up at 5-6AM to workout and get the day started earlier. I've never been a morning person.  What do you guys think?

i'm not sure i understand.  if your shift starts at 7 but you don't head in until 8, i don't think that's right.   however, it's your business.

fwiw, my clinical day starts at 8, and i'm usually there by about 6:30 to get crap taken care of so i can be ready for the day.  that's not right either, but it is what it is.  i remember when my kid used to wake up at 4:30 no matter what time we put him to bed.  good times.  i am usually up at 4:30 and workout before day starts.

unless i'm posting here. 

Comment

My shift starts at 7AM and ends at 7PM which means i'm required to start taking pages during that time period, not physically be in the hospital.

Comment

I get up at 5:20 or 5:30, workout and run three mornings per week and feed/walk the dogs the other two. Then, I make coffee, breakfast and lunch for teenage daughter, and I am out the door between 7:20 and 7:30. I drop daughter at school on way to work and am at work between 7:50 and 8:00.

Every week or two, I have a shift or meeting that starts at 7A, which necessitates my wife to take over dogs and daughter.

Comment

I always feel most productive in the early morning.  I find this is the best time to read.  I get up around 4AM.  I start seeing patients at 830.  I go by the hospital at 730 if I have someone there. Occasionally I do a 730 case and go by at 7.  I usually read the WSJ and blogs.  I check a couple of spreadsheets most mornings.

Comment

If you can swing going to bed earlier and waking up earlier I find this to be very productive.  Easier to do when your kids have reasonable sleep schedules.  Work starts at 8am but I get in around 7am to beat the bad traffic and take care of the various administrative duties I have.

Comment

I always feel inadequate when I read these threads

Workday starts at 8

I leave the house by 7 thanks to my commute and just barely get in by 8

That means I wake up at 630am

Well, 645am after hitting the snooze

Comment

Up at 6. Help get 4 young kids ready for school. Out door at 7, start work at 7:30.

Sadly no time/motivation for me to work out in AM. Often wife will go to gym 5-6am before work (she is also a physician, 0.75 FTE)

Home by 5:30. Drive kids to million after school sports/activities. Coach soccer practices in spring/fall. Wife does dinner/homework/baths with other kids. A little TV. To bed pretty early. Next day rinse, repeat.

You can see why FIRE blogs are appealing to me?

Comment

Hospital days, the pager goes on at 0515 and I get to the hospital around 0600. Surgery center days, there's no pager, but I usually get up about the same time to be there by 0600. The first patient is expected in the OR by 0630 or 0645 most days.

I've started getting up at 0600 on my weeks off to be productive before the household gets busy, but I sleep in on the weekends (up by 0800). We've got the kids trained not to come out of their bedrooms until 0700 weekdays and 0800 weekends.

Comment

I have never been a morning person, more a night owl.

I get up at 7 and get out of the house by 7.45 and drop my daughter off at school and be in the office by 8.30. The patients start between 8.30 and 9 AM. If my wife is in India I get up a bit earlier at 6.15 or 6.30 AM to fix breakfast and lunch for my daughter. And it is difficult to wake her up since her standard early morning opening remark is "Five more minutes".

I can see her growing up to be late night person like me. 

Comment

This is such a weird thread to read for an emergency doc. When I was working all shifts, my day started between 5:15 am and 4 pm. Now I've got that down to 5:15 am to 11 am. In a few months I expect to get the variability down to 5:15 to 8 am. My most productive time is 8 am to noon after getting to bed before midnight and waking up by 8 am. Yesterday morning, for instance, I wrote 3 1/2 book chapters between 8:30 am and 1 pm. Mostly because I refused to look at email prior to then!
                      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I always feel inadequate when I read these threads

Workday starts at 8

I leave the house by 7 thanks to my commute and just barely get in by 8

That means I wake up at 630am

Well, 645am after hitting the snooze ????

No worries, I'll make you feel better. I have always been a night owl, but have changed in recent years and love it.

Clinic days start at 9, OR days start at 0830.

I wake up at 545-6 every day, coffee. coffee is always first. Then usually messing around reading, etc, taking dog out, learning/relaxing. On weekends I dont really change up the schedule but some sundays will sleep in til 630. Easier on your body to be set in stone, no adjustments. The quiet morning time is usually very nice, and productive.

Comment

This is such a weird thread to read for an emergency doc. When I was working all shifts, my day started between 5:15 am and 4 pm. Now I’ve got that down to 5:15 am to 11 am. In a few months I expect to get the variability down to 5:15 to 8 am. My most productive time is 8 am to noon after getting to bed before midnight and waking up by 8 am. Yesterday morning, for instance, I wrote 3 1/2 book chapters between 8:30 am and 1 pm. Mostly because I refused to look at email prior to then!

My schedule as a hospitalist is pretty similar in being all over the place.  Some of my shifts start at 7am, for which I need to leave by 6:15, up at 5:30 to shower and breakfast.  My non-call days are more relaxed, I can get to the hospital at 9 or 10 if I want.  I also do "swing shifts" that start at 2pm, but there's one that starts at 6pm that I do occasionally.  I also do some suboxone prescribing 2 partial days per month, that starts at 3:30pm and goes till 5pm.

When I worked closer to home I could get up early and ride my bike in to work.  Unfortunately those days are over, for now.

I too feel more productive in the mornings now and when it's busy at the hospital I prefer to get there as early as possible even on my non-call days to start rounding before all the nurses start bugging us for things.

On days I'm off or don't need to be in until late, my day always starts with coffee and Starcraft.  4 v 4, at least 2-3 games

Comment

Many of you younger folks will find that as you get older, you will wake up earlier.

I used to have to set my alarm for 5:30A. Now, I am usually rousing around 5 and out of bed at 5:20A, sans alarm.

Comment

Clearly I’m the outlier here. I am an inveterate night owl, and have made my schedule around it. I get up around 10 or 10:30 AM. First patient at noon. I work until 8 PM. As a psychiatrist in private practice, it’s good for me to be able to see high-paying cash patients who want to come after work anyway. Dinner with family, and some time together. They go to bed at 11. I read or write or do my thing until 2 or 2:30 AM.
                              My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

Working...
                              X