Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topics for retirement presentation

Hello WCI Nation,

I will be presenting at the 2018 American Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons in Nashville during the financial symposium. My topic is “When Can I Retire?” Which I describe as the most loaded 4-word question of all time, but I need your help.

What questions or topics would you like to hear about in a 20-minute window on the topic of retirement planning?

After reading about some of the events WCI and PoF attended recently, my goal is to keep it simple with some big picture actionable advice. I realize I won’t be able to provide specifics since I will have everyone from residents to soon-to-be retirees in the same room. However, my goal is to provide that, “Oh, I never heard of that before” or “That is interesting, I should implement that” moment to as many as possible.

The speakers will also include Rogue Dad, M.D talking about “Dumb Doctor Mistakes and How to Avoid Them.” Sarah Catherine Gutierrez is discussing “Investing - The Foundation of your Successful Financial Plan.” And Jeffrey Todd speaking about insurance. So those topics will be covered in their own detail.

Thank you for your help! 

Hmm, I know of a Rogue Dad, MD blogger, but I am not aware of a Rouge Dad, MD. I would expect a considerably different take on things (financial and otherwise) from the latter!

Comment

haha-valid point and a good eye! That typo was pre-coffee!  :lol:

Comment

With the title including "retirement", I doubt many residents will show up. Likely the audience will be skewed toward late middle age physicians looking to get out of Medicine.

Top of head ideas:

Social Security pay-outs

Compound interest. Rule of 72

Entrepreneurship or non-clinical jobs

Longevity risk

Tapping IRAs and 401ks

Comment

This may not be in your wheelhouse, but...

Real estate provides a nice income stream in retirement, and is theoretically inflation adjusted cash flow.( and please ...not REIT's, direct RE ownership/syndication is the way to go in my opinion). It's an important topic and should be considered as part of a formal retirement plan.

Could also discuss the one topic everyone hates...control of one's expenses. I hate to admit it, but I have been guilty of living high on the hog for a couple of decades and am finally reigning it in in preparation for retirement in 5 1/2 years. I worked with a financial coach who forced me to make an uncomfortable declining budget to prepare for worst case scenarios and another for best case. It was enlightening and provided a formal plan to step down into retirement, although I will miss the Porsche 911....lol.

Comment

Since the topic is "when can I retire" and you have 20 minutes I would organize as follows:

1. Show examples/statistics of how doctors screw up their retirement (recent Medscape survey should suffice that shows unbelievably poor net worths for >25% of doctors in their retirement years) and why it is important to care about this.

2. Describe the 4% rule of thumb and show how, with desired wiggle room, what number people should be aiming for to determine when they can retire.

3. Review how to get there and asset/earning protection (budgeting, insurance)

4. Review the concepts of asset allocation, risk, tax efficient investing/order, staying the course

Did this recently in about 25 minutes.  Happy to share slides/notes.

Comment

Since the topic is “when can I retire” and you have 20 minutes I would organize as follows:

1. Show examples/statistics of how doctors screw up their retirement (recent Medscape survey should suffice that shows unbelievably poor net worths for >25% of doctors in their retirement years) and why it is important to care about this.

2. Describe the 4% rule of thumb and show how, with desired wiggle room, what number people should be aiming for to determine when they can retire.

3. Review how to get there and asset/earning protection (budgeting, insurance)

4. Review the concepts of asset allocation, risk, tax efficient investing/order, staying the course

Did this recently in about 25 minutes.  Happy to share slides/notes.

Thanks, ENT Doc! I love your layout and the simplicity of it all. Would you mind sending me the slides to take a look (email in the signature is perfect)? Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

Comment

Working...
              X