No announcement yet.

Should I get AppleCare for the iPhoneX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get AppleCare for the iPhoneX?

So I'm about to upgrade my old iPhone 6s to the X, and I'm considering getting AppleCare. I have a screen protector on my current phone and luckily haven't ever had any screen issues (*knock on wood*), although I did crack a previous phone screen once a few years ago. But with such a high sticker price for the X, I'm considering getting AppleCare, aka insurance.

If I don't get it, and I crack my front screen, cost of repair would be $279. With AppleCare, cost would be $228, $51 savings. Any other damage, $549 without AppleCare (holy crap!) and $298 with AppleCare, savings of $251.

If I crack my screen once (or any other damage), then it's worth it. If there's no damage to my phone at all, then it may not be. I can't predict the future, unfortunately.

What would you guys do?

Self insure whenever possible.

Otterbox gets the job done for me.

Comment

Nah go nakid  

Does not seem that convenient to me. Screen damage is probably the most common claim and only a small fraction of the cost is covered. Seems hardly worth it. How much is Apple Care? If you are fretting about repair cost, perhaps you are over-extending yourself buying the phone. For me it does not make sense to buy insurance to insure something I can work a couple of hours to replace.

Comment

you can split the difference and get third party insurance.

the only electronic insurance i get is the iPhone and iPad, and that is because of the kids.

it has paid off in spades for us.

Comment

Wat does apple care cost.

If it's more than $51, or really anything approaching $51, then it's a waste of your money.

Comment

The cost for Apple Care is $199 for the iPhoneX. Sounds like it’s not worth it. I’ll just get a solid case and screen protector. Thanks guys!

Comment

Cant you just get repaired or repair the screen yourself for a fraction of that cost? I remember thinking about fixing my old iPad and screens were about 30 bucks on amazon. Fixed my laptop screen for 60, it was pretty easy though have never done a phone, insured current one with 20 dollar case.

Comment

Cant you just get repaired or repair the screen yourself for a fraction of that cost? I remember thinking about fixing my old iPad and screens were about 30 bucks on amazon. Fixed my laptop screen for 60, it was pretty easy though have never done a phone, insured current one with 20 dollar case.

Yes you can, at least on iPhone 5-6s. I'm not sure about the 7 or 8 since I haven't had the opportunity to fix one but I assume you can.

The new screens cost about $50 which is cheaper than the ~$200 that repair shops were going to charge. I tried a $15 kit once, that was a big mistake. Lesson learned!

Comment

What would you guys do?

If you cannot afford to self-insure, I would recommend that you purchase a cheaper phone or keep your existing one. As an iPhone 6s owner, (the last phone with the headphone jack) are you prepared to purchase wireless earbuds in addition to the phone purchase?

My 6S Plus is still rock solid.

As an AAPL share holder though, please buy the X and get Apple Care. And Airbuds. And a new Apple TV

Comment

The newer, prettier phones have more difficult/costly screens than just a few years ago.  Newer galaxy phones have touchscreen glued to the glass, which takes a professional to do right.  Also many have back glass as well which can shatter too.

Agree with above, if you can't afford to self-insure, buy a cheaper phone that you can just trash if it breaks.

Pete, do you have bad luck with phones?  Do you use a pretty thick case?  Unless you're historically clumsy, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Comment

Hard to say. Maybe this helps. https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-iphone-x-drop-test/

Comment

I feel like AppleCare used to cover so much more. It's been a while since I've had to use it but I was under the impression it covered pretty much everything except water damage. When I had a MacBook about 8 years ago, it covered everything and they actually ended up giving me a new one because of the issues I was having. They also recently replaced the screen on my iPhone 6 for free because it seemed like the screen was occasionally loose.

Either way, I only upgrade when I absolutely have to. I have had the iPhone 6 for almost 2 years and I'm hoping to continue with it for as long as possible.

Comment

Otterbox and your phone will be fine forever.

Comment

I've decided to hold onto my iPhone 6s for another year. And if it breaks in the interim, I'll just buy the X with a good case.

Comment

Insurance only works for insurance companies if, statistically speaking, they're more likely to bring in more money than they pay out.    Assuming Apple's actuaries have done their job, that means that statistically speaking you're more likely to pay more money for your AppleCare then you are to get back from it.

Comment

Working...
                              X