No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: Three Years of FIRE and the Point of No Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: Three Years of FIRE and the Point of No Return

It’s been over three years since I stepped out from the call room I called home for the weekend, changed ... Read more

Click here to view the article!
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Normally don't read this. Just a few questions/comments.
    1. The blog due to no fault of PoF is filled with tons of things that actually never happened.
    2. Related to so many trips, some family and some individual(business). It's hard to follow how much you are "at home" and "away".
    3. This actually seems like an "experiment " for raising kids. This is probably my biggest concern. With Covid, the kids middle school years were all screwed like everyone else's. The point is the amount of travel would add some value, but at a huge cost for a kid now just starting high school.
    4. In grades 7,8,9 my kids were busy building their own world . It was hard to schedule a 2 week vacation.
    5. That was why I went back to work. I had already satisfied my desire for international travel through work. The wander lust did not work for me.
    6. Kids are resilient, but there have been 3 years of disruption or rather a different path for the kids to develop. Some from Covid and some from the lifestyle chosen by the parents. Some pluses and some minuses. Hope it works out.

Comment

Since Leif writes very well and I love his travel blog within his FIRE blog I read it and thought if such a thing could have been applicable to me.

At thirty six I had only one skill that I could have parlayed into making money and that was my subspeciality skills. I knew that initially I would be earning poorly and it would take at least a decade to ramp up to a good income. Other side hustles were more like hobbies than full time jobs. And at forty three I neither had savings nor a second career to jump into. I also was not a shift worker and the calls did not bother me as much as it did to others. I did not have to go into the hospital all that often and if I did, I felt that I genuinely made a difference to the patient's outcome.

The issue now before PoF is what to do now other than take care of the blog. His eldest child is in high school that will take 4 years. And then there are a couple of others behind him to make that transition. By the time they all finish high school it might be 8-10 years. It is difficult to travel with kids in school except during the summer /winter holidays. And one can't travel alone leaving the spouse behind to take care of the kids. So during all that free time, will the blog alone be sufficient to keep him busy. I would like him to address that in future posts.

Good luck to him wherever life takes him.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
        Since Leif writes very well and I love his travel blog within his FIRE blog I read it and thought if such a thing could have been applicable to me.

At thirty six I had only one skill that I could have parlayed into making money and that was my subspeciality skills. I knew that initially I would be earning poorly and it would take at least a decade to ramp up to a good income. Other side hustles were more like hobbies than full time jobs. And at forty three I neither had savings nor a second career to jump into. I also was not a shift worker and the calls did not bother me as much as it did to others. I did not have to go into the hospital all that often and if I did, I felt that I genuinely made a difference to the patient's outcome.

The issue now before PoF is what to do now other than take care of the blog. His eldest child is in high school that will take 4 years. And then there are a couple of others behind him to make that transition. By the time they all finish high school it might be 8-10 years. It is difficult to travel with kids in school except during the summer /winter holidays. And one can't travel alone leaving the spouse behind to take care of the kids. So during all that free time, will the blog alone be sufficient to keep him busy. I would like him to address that in future posts.

Good luck to him wherever life takes him.
        This is the challenge, much has been made of retiring “to something”. The travel and blog is interesting.
        This semiretirement was to something and the facts and circumstances changed. The next phase is underway, building that new house is a hint.
        Many more phases to come.
        The significant piece of this article is that the door is closing on options, the career in medicine.
        • I would greatly appreciate a little insight into the life plan . I subscribe to where you go with your life.

Comment

It wouldn’t work for me, I would be way too bored and taking the kids out of school to do extended traveling doesn’t appeal to me. Also I’m curious does being out of work three years mean you lose enough skills to not be able to do anesthesia?? I think I could still do my job after three years of not working but I’m only a lowly hospitalist.

Comment

Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post
            Also I’m curious does being out of work three years mean you lose enough skills to not be able to do anesthesia??
            Skill atrophy is a real thing. At about the 1.5-2 yr mark of not doing anesthesia I felt that if I were to go back Id need to do a remedial course to brush up on skills

Comment

Originally posted by 8arclay View Post

Skill atrophy is a real thing. At about the 1.5-2 yr mark of not doing anesthesia I felt that if I were to go back Id need to do a remedial course to brush up on skills
              A remedial course is one thing but to say after three years you are at the point of no return seems odd.

Comment

Seems about right to me. When the memory banks aren't being accessed regularly they tend to degrade quite rapidly. That's apart from the issue of staying on top of advances in the field.

Comment

@CM is the ultimate authority for leaving medicine and returning to medicine. I doubt he ever thought of retirement, just different phases.
                  There is a substantial difference in tone. Switching careers and still going 100% each and everyday is the goal. FI allows you to spend your time however you wish, on the "life" part of the work/life equation.

Comment

He is a smart guy. Also, anesthesia ain’t rocket science. I imagine he could be back up and at it in a few weeks, but I think it makes sense to sorta pick a path and if that path is working keep going with the idea that you are not going back and you are going to appreciate the life you have and the route you are on.
                    For me, part time is a better path. I feel connected enough and like I am doing enough to maintain my skills and focus, while avoiding burning out and actually appreciating work because it is work i want to do and chose to do.
                    I will probably FIRE totally before 60 but working part time is good for me now and gives me plenty of time for other things. Everyone has to find the sweet spot.
                    Too much work makes me angry. Too little leaves me anxious about not maximizing my peak earning potential and being lazy.
                    A little meaningful work, with an appreciative good attitude and focus on doing more than is required with a commitment to doing my best is good for me right now.
                    Everyone is different.
                    Everyone will eventually retire.
                    POF seems happy and has found some very cool things to do and I am happy for him and his family.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post
                      He is a smart guy. Also, anesthesia ain’t rocket science. I imagine he could be back up and at it in a few weeks,
                      Yes I agree, I think a anesthesiologist in his mid 40's after 3 years off could return to full speed in a few weeks, not saying it would be easy but certainly doable. I doubt anesthesia has changed that much in 3 years where you would be past the point of no return. Now neurosurgery I think may be a different story entirely.

Comment

Working...
                      X