No announcement yet.

Early 30s, looking to purchase first motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to ride quite a bit throughout college and med school. I currently have a 1975 BMW R90/6 that is not currently running. Haven’t had time for it since we bought our house 5 or so years ago. Used to have a 1200 cc Harley Nightster and a 1986 Honda Magna V45.
    They are a ton of fun but have to be taken very seriously. Other drivers are the biggest risk. Assume cars can’t see you. Also I drive slow and never get on highways or heavily congested roads at all. If you’ve never ridden a bike before I would suggest starting out with a small dirtbike and get really comfortable with it for a while first. That’s how I started. That way when you’re on the road you’re already very good with shifting, braking, turning, etc.

Comment

Guess you didn't do trauma rotations in Medschool or residency.   We saw plenty during our miami time and personally a first responder to two cycle accidents over the years --- Not pretty.  There simply is NO room for error or forgiving bumps.

You can be as safe as possible and ride in groups on the weekends, but there will be a time when you ride yourself and idiots abound on the road.

Comment

I wont race bicycles anymore even. You just cant account for other people, and theres nothing protecting you. I think two people died and several were paralyzed or permanently disabled at races during residency. Was younger and probably felt more invincible, but scared me enough to where now I wouldnt dare. This is bicycles mind you, though you go much faster than people imagine, and that layer of lycra and a little plastic helmet just isnt much protection.

Comment

Life is too short to live in fear of getting hurt. Bad things will happen no matter what. I think about that when I am deadlifting heavy and it looks like I am shitting a pick up truck. I just hope my aorta and brain vessels hold up. But that's no living! If you like to ride a motorcycle, you should do it. Just make sure you take the appropriate training courses, and wear a helmet. You don't want to be that boring dude who looks back at life with regrets, not to mention forget about it when you have a wife and kids. I was looking at some motorcycles the other day and my wife walked past me and said, oh ************************ no! Don't even look at the websites, don't look at the prices, don't even think about buying one! Even though I was looking because I was curious about the price, I am thinking of buying one just for spite.

Comment

I was looking at a new '16 Ninja 300.
            I mean my vision is around -6 in both eyes, but I have a bad habit of wearing old glasses which don't correct it all the way due to more perceived comfort.
            I have a significant astigmatism in one eye, but i have always worn contacts which didnt correct for that.
            I'm a decent driver and drove a manual for over a decade. The one time I tried a motorcycle I have to say was pretty tiring and required a significant amount of focus. I went into radiology so I wouldn't have to focus for more than 3 mins

Comment

Life is too short to live in fear of getting hurt. Bad things will happen no matter what. I think about that when I am deadlifting heavy and it looks like I am shitting a pick up truck. I just hope my aorta and brain vessels hold up. But that’s no living! If you like to ride a motorcycle, you should do it. Just make sure you take the appropriate training courses, and wear a helmet. You don’t want to be that boring dude who looks back at life with regrets, not to mention forget about it when you have a wife and kids. I was looking at some motorcycles the other day and my wife walked past me and said, oh ************************ no! Don’t even look at the websites, don’t look at the prices, don’t even think about buying one! Even though I was looking because I was curious about the price, I am thinking of buying one just for spite.

Thats a pretty poor argument. There are all kinds of things that make sense, and dont make sense. BASE jumping, freeclimbing, its just a matter of time. Motorcycles, etc...very fun, but you're not the actual problem, its the idiots with their faces in their phones that you're trusting your life to which is dumb since you would never in any other situation.

Play enough times in high stakes environments/activities and the law of averages will catch up to you. I have had colleagues die from climbing which is notoriously high risk, and my best friend broke both forearms, 14 ribs and a clavicle during a mtb race (both surgeons). These are pretty predictably high risk situations (race was 24h at night) with sadly predictable results.

There are all kinds of fun things that decrease (not eliminate) risk or ways to do your favorite activities a lot safer. Stuff happens, docs should know that. After playing sports and being kind of a daredevil for my early life Im trying to limit life long injuries so I can enjoy my body as I age. I still ride bikes, go on group rides, but dont race with steroid addled youngster risk taking brains in the peloton. Still do other 'risky' stuff, but I sure as heck calculate things I am thinking about, its dumb not to.

Life is probabilistic, and there are few things you cant put down to that over a long time series.

Comment

Very cool chart attached. Yes, there are ways to improve odds of course. For some reason not attaching, link here.

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/adventure/your-chances-of-dying-ranked-by-sport-and-activity

Comment

I felt like this thread was a total "Dream Killer" haha.

When I think about it, I love to take financial risks, which has turned out well so far. Money was nothing more to me than digits on a screen. I have always thought of it this way.

I don't take very much physical risks as I keep after my body and am into self-improvement quite a bit. Riding a motorcycle would be contradictory to my nature now that I think about it. I was very close to buying a bike the other day but I should probably hold off until April and see.

Too many stories on here of doctors getting injured and killed

Comment

Very cool chart attached. Yes, there are ways to improve odds of course. For some reason not attaching, link here.

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/adventure/your-chances-of-dying-ranked-by-sport-and-activity

Great graphic.  I will not be base jumping or climbing in Nepal.  Odd that skydiving is relatively safe.

Comment

I felt like this thread was a total “Dream Killer” haha.

When I think about it, I love to take financial risks, which has turned out well so far. Money was nothing more to me than digits on a screen. I have always thought of it this way.

I don’t take very much physical risks as I keep after my body and am into self-improvement quite a bit. Riding a motorcycle would be contradictory to my nature now that I think about it. I was very close to buying a bike the other day but I should probably hold off until April and see.

Too many stories on here of doctors getting injured and killed

Another life saved by WCI.
                      Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I was looking at a new ’16 Ninja 300.
                        I mean my vision is around -6 in both eyes, but I have a bad habit of wearing old glasses which don’t correct it all the way due to more perceived comfort.
                        I have a significant astigmatism in one eye, but i have always worn contacts which didnt correct for that.
                        I’m a decent driver and drove a manual for over a decade. The one time I tried a motorcycle I have to say was pretty tiring and required a significant amount of focus. I went into radiology so I wouldn’t have to focus for more than 3 mins ????

When I rode my eyes were always bloodshot afterwards.  I had a roommate who thought I was doing drugs.  I think it was a combination of the air blowing in through the vents in my helmet (full shield) and keeping my eyes open very wide without realizing it.  So, keep eye drops handy.

Isn't it that vending machines kill more Americans annually than sharks?

Comment

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Click to expand…

Nice chart. When I took a year off at 34 I intended to go hang gliding and bungee jumping, and to learn to surf, ski, and scuba dive. I did all of those things except bungee jumping.

I went to a jump site in New Zealand but chickened out when I looked down. According to your chart, hang gliding and scuba diving are much more dangerous.

Some of it is strange, and they switch between units so it can be hard to compare, but since its such a neat set up I linked it. Like I was saying there are lots of ways to drastically reduce the odds to very safe. For bicycling turns out most issues are at night or rush hour, thats easily solved several ways. I want to learn to scuba dive myself, but really for shallow water purposes which I think is safer.

I used to like jumping off cliffs and bridges into water as well, no way now.

Comment

I want to learn to scuba dive myself, but really for shallow water purposes which I think is safer.

Scuba seems quite safe for a healthy, sensible (i.e., not reckless) person who isn't cave diving or spear fishing.

I can recommend Grand Cayman. Visibility is terrific and there is great coral and sea life. Eden Rock is a fun and easy shore dive to a depth of maybe 45 feet or less.

On the other hand, visibility was terrible in Oahu and there wasn't much to see either.
                              Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Most of the SCUBA risk is accounted for by technical divers who are diving >150ft, not your average vacation recreational diver that rarely goes below 90. Motorcycling on the other hand is stupidly dangerous for something that, let's be honest, isn't that fun. Yes we all went on dirtbikes and scooters as a kid.  Most adults, at least the ones you would actually want to be around, would never want to be associated with the image and obnoxious sound of a motorcycle (especially a Harley).

Maybe I'm just grumpy over the pack of motorcyclist jerks who gun it through my neighborhood every night at 1AM just to give us a metaphorical middle finger. But come on dude, motorcycling is super lame in every way possible. I'll leave you with this spot-on SouthPark clip that sums up motorcyclists in 30 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LlA0_Hv3CQ

Comment

Working...
                                X