Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: Would Working Part-time Make You a Better Doctor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: Would Working Part-time Make You a Better Doctor?

Chances are you became a doctor because you felt a calling. That’s admirable, of course. The world needs more helpers. ... Read more

Click here to view the article!
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Definitely agree that there is a point for everyone where working less to find your balance if helpful. If you're not burned out, you're a better doctor. I've also seen, however, that many take this too far and are working so little that their skills as a doctor suffer. Obviously this is personal and probably somewhat specialty-dependent.

In our department if I think of the top 5-10 anesthesiologists I'd want taking care of my family almost all of them are full-time and take care of the sickest patients. If I think of the bottom 10% who make more mistakes, are less efficient and are not as good at teaching they tend to be the most preoccupied with life outside of their career and treat being a physician as more of a hobby and/or side gig. So...we should be careful how hard we push working less as a physician...to a point.

Personally I'm OK not being the best...but would also like to settle in the middle somewhere where my skills don't suffer because I'm only working a couple days a week.

Comment

Working...
    X