Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: Why This Index Fund Investor Purchased an Individual Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pit.alumni
    replied
    Originally posted by pit.alumni View Post
    I picked up some Dutch Brothers yesterday BROS, after the stock tanked on poor earnings. There is one I drive by daily and lines of cars day and night. I guess that combo of caffeine, sugar and fat is addicting. I agree with Auric goldfinger . A few winners held long term can drive the upside nicely.

I know. You can't time the market and pick individual stocks. BROS at $26 when I made that post $43 today. Also Roth Converted my BROS shares at the same time. YMMV

Leave a comment:

• gap55u
    replied
    One of my regrets is believing my now-fired advisor who said I was overweighted in brkb so I adjusted my portfolio. At least I didn’t eliminate the position.

Leave a comment:

• jacoavlu
    replied
    Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post
    A or B class?
    i bought a single B share years ago to get the hard copy annual report every year and be able to go to the annual meeting if i wanted.

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied
    Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post
    A or B class?
    Ah the real flex question. Also probably an indicator of how close you are to death unless you are in the vigorous 72 year old cohort.

Leave a comment:

• ENT Doc
    replied
    A or B class?

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Originally posted by Auric goldfinger View Post
    Great to index, but sometimes better to get off the bus and catch an Uber X.
    I’m not sure if using a poor performing stock was the best example to use there.

Leave a comment:

• pit.alumni
    replied
    I picked up some Dutch Brothers yesterday BROS, after the stock tanked on poor earnings. There is one I drive by daily and lines of cars day and night. I guess that combo of caffeine, sugar and fat is addicting. I agree with Auric goldfinger . A few winners held long term can drive the upside nicely.

Leave a comment:

• Auric goldfinger
    replied
    I have been mostly Bogle-headed since the mid- late 90’s, investing 85-90 % of my equity portfolio in the S&P 500. But, the 10-15% non indexed has skewed my portfolio, possibly making me a victim of random success. Many of my individual stocks that were purchased in the 80s and 90s were dividend re-invested to returns that turbo- charged the portfolio overall. A very few have gone to the river Styx. It doesn’t take many Microsofts or Home Depot’s to skew returns to the sky. Charles Schwab wrote a great book 30 years ago for those turning 50. He taught core and explore. With explore limited to 5-10% of portfolio. Great to index, but sometimes better to get off the bus and catch an Uber X.
    Last edited by Auric goldfinger; 05-14-2022, 11:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• xraygoggles
    replied
    Brk is the stepping stone to reach the next level - in between individual stocks and total market. Could do a lot worse.

Leave a comment:

• jacoavlu
    replied
    dry content pool I guess

https://web.archive.org/web/20180109...fire.com/brkb/

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied
    I was too lazy to click but my first thought was that BRK doesn’t count.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Berkshire is more like a stock of stocks.

Leave a comment:

• Larry Ragman
    replied
    Don’t we all own Berkshire Hathaway in the S&P 500?

Leave a comment:

• Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: Why This Index Fund Investor Purchased an Individual Stock

I'm a staunch believer in owning passive index funds in my investment portfolio. Yet, in 2017, I was compelled to purchase an individual stock. Here's why.

The post Why This Index Fund Investor Purchased an Individual Stock appeared first on The White Coat Investor - Investing & Personal Finance for Doctors.

Click here to view the article!
Working...
X