This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roe vs wade-NOT POLITICAL

So obv most have you have heard it might be overturned and left up to states.

Without getting into weather this is appropriate or not, im more interested in seeing what OB/GYN will do if the government takes away one of their tools. Is it the same as if they found out lasix was grown from stem cells and now we couldnt use lasix?

I personally think the rich will just go to a different state and the poor will get the short end of the stick

With availability of abortifacient medications by mail, I wonder how successfully states are going to be able to regulate abortion in practice.

Comment

Second trimester abortions can’t be done with a pill.

On my wife’s 21 week ultrasound, we found out that our baby had a severe skeletal dysplasia, extremely small rib cage and lungs and that if she were carried to term the baby would die after birth from suffocation.

Even for the wealthy and physicians it is not easy to find a provider who will perform a second trimester abortion in a timely manner. It is not easy to figure out what to do or where to find help or to get on an overbooked schedule in a timely manner even when you do find help. Addition testing like Amniocentesis is often ordered but takes many weeks to months to come back. Insurance often will not cover the procedure. And if you don’t act urgently or if you wait for additional tests or opinions, you can easily wind up past the 24 week cut off that exists in many other states already. Also, for us, any delay meant further brain development and, we believed that a
      more developed brain meant more potential suffering for the baby.

What would our obgyn have had to do in our situation if my wife was forced to carry the baby to term? I can only assume that she would have had to help deliver the baby and then watch with the rest of us as the baby suffocated to death.
      Last edited by Dusn; 05-03-2022, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I think it comes down to how one interprets the 10th amendment.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitu...n/amendment-10

All states are not equal in a democratic republic system of government (why does Wyoming have the same votes in the Senate?) By default, all rights and benefits are unequal as well for those living in different states or communities.
        We are migrating towards a view of uniformity regardless of state, at least by executive order since Congress is in a stalemate and elections are coming up.

Comment

From the CDC (if you still trust them):

“The majority of abortions in 2019 took place early in gestation: 92.7% of abortions were performed at ≤13 weeks’ gestation; a smaller number of abortions (6.2%) were performed at 14–20 weeks’ gestation, and even fewer (<1.0%) were performed at ≥21 weeks’ gestation. Early medical abortion is defined as the administration of medications(s) to induce an abortion at ≤9 completed weeks’ gestation, consistent with the current Food and Drug Administration labeling for mifepristone (implemented in 2016). In 2019, 42.3% of all abortions were early medical abortions.“

I think people forget about the response of the market. I think in some states you’ll have women testing themselves early and often after sex and ordering above pills. The bell curve will shift. Not sure this will have a substantial effect on OB/Gyns unless they were idiosyncratically running an abortion procedure mill.

Comment

would this affect IVF?

Comment

"roe vs wade-NOT POLITICAL"
              Is this an attempt at humor? Please elaborate.

Comment

mod hat: be really really extra careful on this one folks

Comment

my wife and i learned a few days ago that she is pregnant for the first time. this was a fairly big surprise. we live in a state that has banned abortions after a few weeks.

we are genuinely concerned that with roe vs. wade being overturned, what will we do if a severe problem is detected?

this seems like the government getting involved in my wife's health to an extreme level. we feel personally violated.

Comment

Originally posted by pitt1166 View Post
                    my wife and i learned a few days ago that she is pregnant for the first time. this was a fairly big surprise. we live in a state that has banned abortions after a few weeks.

we are genuinely concerned that with roe vs. wade being overturned, what will we do if a severe problem is detected?

this seems like the government getting involved in my wife's health to an extreme level. we feel personally violated.
                    What does the rest of your state bill on abortions say? There are often times quite a few exceptions in these states.

Comment

As a retired OB/GYN and a mod here this is a very complex issue. My personal view is the gestational age should be lowered to about 14 weeks. There should be exceptions for genetic or ultrasound determined anomalies. The mother's health should always be considered. I found that patients who had a serious enough problem that a pregnancy would worsens things would rarely even consider a termination. This whole topic should truly be a discussion between the patient and her doctor and leave the politics alone. If the only later term abortions were truly for severe syndromes I think more legitimate centers would perform them.

Comment

Can anyone think of a hotter political topic? I can't.

This is a financial forum folks, even in the lounge. Thread closed before we start hating each other.
                        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
                        X