Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: The Rise of Dr. Oz and How He Made So Much Stinkin’ Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post

You know my second daughter is learning to drive now. We're trying to decide whether to do it (the <$1,000 car thing) again and if so how much to adjust for inflation! Or we may just call the civic her "beater". It really is nicer than a true beater though. Very reliable even at 13 years old and 150K miles.
    A civic or corolla as a first car can't really be beat - reliable, lasts forever, cheap maintenance when needed, less likely to be burglarized, et al.

Comment

He made money by not limiting his income to profits from cardiac surgery…if someone takes shots at him it probably comes from jealousy .

Comment

3 comments:

1. One of my all time favorite WCI (I mean Jim) responses was I think a comment on a blog post a few years ago when someone accused him of writing clickbait, I want to say it was a Dave Ramsey article? Jim's paraphrased response "i am trying to sell ads here so please let me know if my titles aren't clickbaity enough so i can make them more clickbaity."

2. Way back in the day Oz was on one of those reality shows I think NY Med i was watching with my wife (anesthesia). He was talking to a pt in an ER hallway with a type A dissection. dramatically holding his hand and giving him this song and dance about how this hospital was the best in the world and they were going to save him. we had the exact same reaction at the time basically shouting at the TV "wtf are you doing, go scrub and fix this $%^@[email protected]#$ thing don't sit there an dance for the camera!!"

3. He's a attention-obsessed reality TV huckster who cynically hawks things he knows don't work to people who don't seem to be able to understand reality. It's not really a surprise to me that he's making a very credible run for Senate. He very possibly vanquish several fairly serious people who might actually be good at the job. You could have Oz or you could have the guy in the link, a combat vet from the 82nd with a ranger tab who has a PhD in international relations from Princeton. It shouldn't be close, but it's going to be close. Nothing to see here, move along.

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

A civic or corolla as a first car can't really be beat - reliable, lasts forever, cheap maintenance when needed, less likely to be burglarized, et al.
          Honda Civic is perennially one of the top three most-stolen cars.

Comment

Originally posted by bovie View Post

Honda Civic is perennially one of the top three most-stolen cars.
            Interesting - I wonder if that's because they are so common. I guess I thought because they are not flashy and more boring, they would be not as desirable.

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

Interesting - I wonder if that's because they are so common. I guess I thought because they are not flashy and more boring, they would be not as desirable.
              It's partly because they are common--i.e., available to steal literally everywhere.

But it's also because they are reliable--which is great but also means that many older models are still around which pre-date anti-theft technology--and their parts are interchangeable with many other Honda models and can be easily sold for scrap.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post
                3 comments:

1. One of my all time favorite WCI (I mean Jim) responses was I think a comment on a blog post a few years ago when someone accused him of writing clickbait, I want to say it was a Dave Ramsey article? Jim's paraphrased response "i am trying to sell ads here so please let me know if my titles aren't clickbaity enough so i can make them more clickbaity."

2. Way back in the day Oz was on one of those reality shows I think NY Med i was watching with my wife (anesthesia). He was talking to a pt in an ER hallway with a type A dissection. dramatically holding his hand and giving him this song and dance about how this hospital was the best in the world and they were going to save him. we had the exact same reaction at the time basically shouting at the TV "wtf are you doing, go scrub and fix this $%^@[email protected]#$ thing don't sit there an dance for the camera!!"

3. He's a attention-obsessed reality TV huckster who cynically hawks things he knows don't work to people who don't seem to be able to understand reality. It's not really a surprise to me that he's making a very credible run for Senate. He very possibly vanquish several fairly serious people who might actually be good at the job. You could have Oz or you could have the guy in the link, a combat vet from the 82nd with a ranger tab who has a PhD in international relations from Princeton. It shouldn't be close, but it's going to be close. Nothing to see here, move along.
                Regarding #2: Have you ever been sick in the hospital? When you’re scared it’s comforting to hear that kind of stuff. Regarding #3: if I didn’t know anything about either candidate, I would probably vote for the physician over the hedge fund manager.

Comment

Originally posted by pierre View Post
                  The disdain here is interesting. 5 pages in and the only thing I’ve learned is that he sells snake oil and everyone hates him, but no one has actually watches his show. Does anyone have an example of a recommendation he made or product he sold that was legit quackery? Or is this all hearsay…
                  Hydroxychloroquine

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                    I know I’ll have made it when I drive a car that’s worth half as much as WCI’s daughter’s.
                    Raising my hand.
                    Bought a Civic in 2003 brand new for my daughter.
                    She handed it down to her brother when he choose that and she upgraded to a Accord 2008. The Civic 2003 was totaled when son was rear ended and he got a new Civic in 2013. I reclaimed the Accord 2008 two years ago. Less than 100k miles and probably at least 100k to go. Of course the wife gave her CRV 2007 to her brother and got a CRV 2020. Daughter splurged on a Range Rover 2020 and now is sorry she did. Fate means she will get close to every penny back.
                    Meanwhile, Dad drives the old Accord 2008 and that is the car we take on trips to keep the mileage off. They hate it and I only miss the new electronics.
                    Of course mine has an aftermarket remote start that was picked up over journeys to the cold weather states. Useless in Texas.

The White Coat Investor , consider the hand me down method. The older girl will appreciate the upgrade more. Now that is worth an update written from the daughter's perspective. How she decided she deserved it! Or not. Just keeping my promise, I promised each I would buy them one new car. My son saved his trading with his sister. Delayed gratification works. Until one decides on a Ranger Rover Sport and can afford it. Face plant, but the lesson learned on her dime.
                    Side note, she picked up $8k cash on a diminished value claim where a doc rear ended her. If it would not have been for the beast/tank, could have been serious injury. Bad decisions can work out for the best.
                    Apologies for side tracking the Dr Oz ethics conversation. The daughter's car was more interesting. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      The older girl will appreciate the upgrade more.
                      Upgrade? She turns 18 in 2 weeks; she can "upgrade" herself from her bike if she wants an upgrade. As I told her, "That's a you problem not a me problem."

She's going to try her first year of college without a car and we'll see how it goes. We may end up having to buy a new beater for # 2 if # 1 ends up taking the civic down to school one of these days.

Seriously though, she's got a 20s fund. She can choose to spend it on a car any time she wants. But it means she can't spend that money on anything else.
                      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

You know my second daughter is learning to drive now. We're trying to decide whether to do it (the <$1,000 car thing) again and if so how much to adjust for inflation! Or we may just call the civic her "beater". It really is nicer than a true beater though. Very reliable even at 13 years old and 150K miles.
                        My civic is a year older with 153k miles. KBB gives me a valuation of ~$3400 or so. The only way I think you'll get $7000 for yours is if you put a $2500 mountain bike on the back.

Comment

Upgrade? She turns 18 in 2 weeks; she can "upgrade" herself from her bike if she wants an upgrade. As I told her, "That's a you problem not a me problem."

She's going to try her first year of college without a car and we'll see how it goes. We may end up having to buy a new beater for # 2 if # 1 ends up taking the civic down to school one of these days.

Seriously though, she's got a 20s fund. She can choose to spend it on a car any time she wants. But it means she can't spend that money on anything else.
                          I thought most colleges want you to live in a dorm for the first year and do not allow a car or assign any parking space for a freshman.

Comment

From my perspective, a car as a freshman in college is a distraction. Many colleges prohibit them. Even close by, trips home can be a distraction, too easy. Smart, of course you knew that. You chose a 20's fund. I chose a 50/50 funding of college and one new car for each. I was actually pleased that they negotiated with each other to find their best interests. My goal there was the lesson to take care of each other. That started on a path that seems to have worked. Daughter is popping for Back Street Boys tickets (don't ask, its a girl's thing that appeals to his significant other) in Milwaukee and a hotel rooms since she has no desire to "camp out".
                            Not the first time. The attendings in a fellowship funded a trip to Vegas with the ridiculous Meet and Greet stuff. Three attendings and a PA paid their own ways. Back Street Boys is a serious addiction! I had a goal, it seemed to have worked. I hope your girls have each others backs. Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post

Hydroxychloroquine
                              If he did recommend this, it may be more so because of his ideological leanings & slavish/cultist devotion to #45 more than any medical reason.

That's still a horrible reason for doing it, don't get me wrong. Critical thinking skills are sorely lacking - even in some supposedly educated people.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                                From my perspective, a car as a freshman in college is a distraction. Many colleges prohibit them. Even close by, trips home can be a distraction, too easy. Smart, of course you knew that. You chose a 20's fund. I chose a 50/50 funding of college and one new car for each. I was actually pleased that they negotiated with each other to find their best interests. My goal there was the lesson to take care of each other. That started on a path that seems to have worked. Daughter is popping for Back Street Boys tickets (don't ask, its a girl's thing that appeals to his significant other) in Milwaukee and a hotel rooms since she has no desire to "camp out".
                                Not the first time. The attendings in a fellowship funded a trip to Vegas with the ridiculous Meet and Greet stuff. Three attendings and a PA paid their own ways. Back Street Boys is a serious addiction! I had a goal, it seemed to have worked. I hope your girls have each others backs. Priceless.
                                Did not realize BSB were still a thing

Comment

Working...
                                X