Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: Did I Just Retire at Age 52?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post

Happened in our division a few years ago. New management and new service chief both started making very unpopular changes and failed to get opinion leaders behind it. Resulted in significant turnover (20%+) of senior faculty, failed recruitment of additional faculty that year, and additional lowering cFTE or entering discussions of early retirement. --- two years later, new management, new service chief, and a lot of fence mending between health system needed. Taken another three years to recover to pre toxic environment cFTE for the division.
    True, but how many of that 20% turnover quit and stay at home. And many like you struck with it and brought about changes, and not quit with no plan in mind. Kudos.

Comment

Cash bucket and ___ it!
      Hatton for the win!

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Yes, he did put out his name and a photo of himself, as a columnist. Now he is anonymous. Does it make a difference since once you have put it out on the net, it stays there somewhere.
        And all of a sudden the comments are closed. I initially assumed the author left the job voluntarily because he was burned out but now I am genuinely curious if there was more to the story and he regrets posting.

Comment

Originally posted by jz- View Post

I've wondered this too. great question.
          I retired FatFire and no longer use an AA. I have 3-5 years of bucket needs and the remainder in equities. If/when I lose my mind, I'll pass the baton to one of the children.
          this! Another reason for simplicity!

Comment

Yes, he did put out his name and a photo of himself, as a columnist. Now he is anonymous. Does it make a difference since once you have put it out on the net, it stays there somewhere.
            Wayback machine knows all...

Comment

True, but how many of that 20% turnover quit and stay at home. And many like you struck with it and brought about changes, and not quit with no plan in mind. Kudos.
              Senior Faculty hopefully means FI, particularly if they quit and retired. It’s ok to quit with “no plan in mind” if you are prepared for it. Often time people leaving and making the “leaders” realize that they can’t continue to treat people like that or they will have nobody left to push around is what really enacts the change. Kudos to them for leaving and not grinding away into oblivion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post

And all of a sudden the comments are closed. I initially assumed the author left the job voluntarily because he was burned out but now I am genuinely curious if there was more to the story and he regrets posting.
                And since WCI sends out the article in email blasts, it is still there in my email in the pure unadulterated form. I am not there to "out/dox him" but once you put it out, you can't really take it back
                Last edited by Kamban; 04-13-2022, 09:20 AM.

Comment

And since WCI sends out the article in email blasts, it is still there in my email in the pure unadulterated form. I am not there to out him but once you put it out, you can't really take it back
                  Interesting turn of events.

Comment

I have long had financial plans for an unexpected early end to my working career- savings, disability and life insurance. I do not have a life plan, since it is too hard to predict the cause of an undesired early exit. Health? My post work life would depend in the nature of the medical problems. Burnout? I would hope that could be temporary. No longer allowed to practice? It would depend on why.

Comment

Originally posted by afan View Post
                      No way I could willingly retire at that age.
                      Talk to me in 10 or 15 years. 50 year old you might have a very different opinion than 35 year old you when they are a little bit bored and see that working more isn't going to improve your life in any appreciable way and not working might. It's more common than the 50 year still being gung ho to go to age 70. I thoroughly enjoyed my job but I can understand the appeal of retiring like POF.

Comment

Originally posted by GasFIRE View Post
                        I’ve got 10-12 yrs worth of expenses in cash/bonds rather than aiming for some equity/bond ratio goal.
                        Curious where you have that much cash parked.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post

Senior Faculty hopefully means FI, particularly if they quit and retired. It’s ok to quit with “no plan in mind” if you are prepared for it. Often time people leaving and making the “leaders” realize that they can’t continue to treat people like that or they will have nobody left to push around is what really enacts the change. Kudos to them for leaving and not grinding away into oblivion.
                          All different. some moved away to greener pastures. some retired from clinical and stayed on faculty teaching/nonclinical activities. Some just retired.

The younger faculty that left simply had enough of admin antics. Many were predictable churn that typical admin would allow for during any systemic changes. That's known and tolerable for admins to anticipate. What they (admin leadership) didn't appreciate nor adapt to is the depth and breath of the discontent until there was irreparable impact to the division.

Yeah, I stuck with it being part of the middle management physician leadership. Even told by higher admin docs during all this that I was 'being too much an advocate for the frontline docs'. I suppose my residency card-carrying union officer stripes shown through too much at times.

Comment

Originally posted by mkintx View Post

Curious where you have that much cash parked.
                            Cash is in a separate taxable account (not our investment account) and my tIRA is 100% bonds. Cash plus bonds is about 30% our portfolio. I’m probably the oddity among this forum’s participants but my asset location has Roth~=taxable>tIRA. I’ve been doing the BDR X2 since 2010, exclusively Roth employEE contributions since 2012 and adding the MBDR in 2018. I’ve also been heavily Roth converting up to the top of the 24% bracket since 2018.

Comment

Working...
                            X