Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: Please Don’t Post Stupid Things on Social Media–Or You Might Never Practice Medicine Again

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim View Post

WCI clearly indicates some cautions and that your "identity" will be released with any valid request.
    What is unclear is if "food preferences" will ever result in such request. I personally look forward to any recommendations or coupons.
    We've released information to a valid subpoena once or twice over the years. Nobody was ever after a forum member though. They wanted the forum member(s) as a witness I believe. Memory foggy though.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Update: https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-car...p=hp1bt3,hp1bt

Looks like it’s getting worse for [the med student]…
      Last edited by Hank; 04-18-2022, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post

We've released information to a valid subpoena once or twice over the years. Nobody was ever after a forum member though. They wanted the forum member(s) as a witness I believe. Memory foggy though.
        dude you weren't supposed to tell them about my run in with the ATF.

Comment

as a lifelong academic i definitely see this as an issue.

i used to keep a file of the dumbest stuff i saw posted to social media, my top 3 were
          1. intern at a VERY prestigious institution (think like, the most prestigious institution) posted to fb about how they had harmed a pt bc the attending didn't know what they were doing. i'm honestly still shocked he finished residency.
          2. resident posted a trauma CXR filled w/ shotgun shot, pt's name, bday, MRN clearly visible
          3. medical student constantly posting about her battles w/ her dean, specifically how her dean was "a d$ck." i think she was dismissed

my rule of thumb is "nothing about work, ever, only exception is maybe a team shot in the workroom."

i even get nervous about "great day today" or "crazy day in the ER."

i wouldn't want a tweet out there about how i had a great day on the day i sent home an MI or an appy.

i think the kids today (get off my lawn!!!) just post a lot, it's their normal. it's kind of an uphill battle sometimes just b/c the default is to post about everything.

i know a fellow healthcare worker who is very disgruntled and who's social media is basically just a long form, profanity-laced rant about her employer. also shocked she still has a job.

one of the reasons i have taken a massive, almost total step back from social media (10 min IG timer/day, nothing else) is because it's this space where people are simultaneously talking about everything while never seeming to give anyone else the benefit of the doubt. twitter especially is just an absolute cesspool.

i truly think it should be highly illegal for private companies to create individual algorithms and nothing should be allowed to be more targeted than age/gender/location.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post
            i think the kids today (get off my lawn!!!) just post a lot, it's their normal. it's kind of an uphill battle sometimes just b/c the default is to post about everything.
            i know a fellow healthcare worker who is very disgruntled and who's social media is basically just a long form, profanity-laced rant about her employer. also shocked she still has a job.
            I think the kids of today were born or were in school when the social media was born. Almost everyone is on Instagram, FB, snap, twitter and other social media sites. They check it last thing at night, first thing in the morning, during the day and sometimes even at nights.

Luckily my daughter had a smart phone only at high school level and the social media came late to her. Also she worked in my office and we have a strict policy of applying the HIPAA to everyone and that included her. That early training seemed to have drilled into her the importance of privacy of who you meet at work should not be discussed with friends or on media.

My staff also know that if they are caught posting or partaking in rallies or other activities where it demeans one race or religion or group they might be asked to leave. They have the right to first amendment and I have the right to have an office where every patient feels welcome. Sometimes there might be disagreements and it is best to part ways. Luckily I live in a right to work state.

Comment

F0017S0 why have you chosen to use this persons real name in your posts on this thread?

Comment

as a lifelong academic i definitely see this as an issue.

i used to keep a file of the dumbest stuff i saw posted to social media, my top 3 were
                1. intern at a VERY prestigious institution (think like, the most prestigious institution) posted to fb about how they had harmed a pt bc the attending didn't know what they were doing. i'm honestly still shocked he finished residency.
                2. resident posted a trauma CXR filled w/ shotgun shot, pt's name, bday, MRN clearly visible
                3. medical student constantly posting about her battles w/ her dean, specifically how her dean was "a d$ck." i think she was dismissed

my rule of thumb is "nothing about work, ever, only exception is maybe a team shot in the workroom."

i even get nervous about "great day today" or "crazy day in the ER."

i wouldn't want a tweet out there about how i had a great day on the day i sent home an MI or an appy.

one of the reasons i have taken a massive, almost total step back from social media (10 min IG timer/day, nothing else) is because it's this space where people are simultaneously talking about everything while never seeming to give anyone else the benefit of the doubt. twitter especially is just an absolute cesspool.

i truly think it should be highly illegal for private companies to create individual algorithms and nothing should be allowed to be more targeted than age/gender/location.
                Yes. I am glad social was not around when I was a student / resident / kid.

I hope they give this kid a second chance.

None of us is perfect. Yes it was foolish but we should have some grace.

Goodness knows I have done and sometimes still say/do dumb stuff.

Frankly, I think they should have just told her: "listen, you always need to try to put the patient first and never post about work".
                Last edited by Tangler; 04-19-2022, 04:31 PM.

Comment

If i were a moderator I would delete the subjects real name from this thread. Having the subjects real name here serves no positive purpose

Comment

Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post
                    If i were a moderator I would delete the subjects real name from this thread. Having the subjects real name here serves no positive purpose
                    I agree. Seems like it is a little like piling on. Feel sorry for the kid myself. There was never a reason to put it. You are a wise critter.

Comment

dude you weren't supposed to tell them about my run in with the ATF.
                      Ha! I grew up in Al but now live in north east. I am always amazed when someone here comes up to me and just starts talking about guns.

I grew up with them, sure, but I have not shot a gun in over 20 years and don't own any. I guess they hear my voice and assume I have some kind of arsenal.

My wife is from CA and she is terrified of guns.

There were some neighborhood robberies and I considered getting a simple shot gun for home defense and she had a near panic.

I settled on a baseball bat. I honestly don't even know where I put it?

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post
                        My mind is absolutely blown that people post things online that could be interpreted so poorly, especially in a pseudo-professional setting.

It’s also a giant shame that she was a casualty of the culture war. I didn’t realize that until I looked at who was going for her jugular on twitter and who was sharing the post online…
                        Is it a shame? If she wasn’t knocked for this, it would have been something else. She was essentially outted as an ideologue, not a healer. Someone disagrees with her, so she went into an echochamber to disparage the patient. That should never happen. When someone has judgement this poor, it’s going to show up eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Ragman View Post

This is interesting. I wonder if it is possible to defame someone who is posting anonymously?
                          If it is, I feel like FLP and EMD have a case against most of us…

Comment

Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post
                            F0017S0 why have you chosen to use this persons real name in your posts on this thread?
                            [The med school stufent’s] name is reported in the media; it is public knowledge at this point. I do not mean to be cruel to [the med school studnet], nor do I think I have said anything cruel. But once your name is routinely reported on by major media outlets, then it’s hard not to use one’s name. It’s sad all around that she may very well be dismissed, and if not, find it very difficult to engage in the profession for which she trained, all over (mis)use of the Twitter. We live in a world where the margin for error is vanishingly small; mistakes that would have been forgotten/forgiven fifteen years ago are personal, professional, and reputation killers.
                            Last edited by Hank; 04-18-2022, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F0017S0 View Post

[The med school student’s] name is reported in the media; it is public knowledge at this point. I do not mean to be cruel to [the med school student], nor do I think I have said anything cruel. But once your name is routinely reported on by major media outlets, then it’s hard not to use one’s name. It’s sad all around that she may very well be dismissed, and if not, find it very difficult to engage in the profession for which she trained.
                              I didn’t know her name until you posted it. Her name wasn’t used in the WCI blog post. Her name wasn’t even used in the article linked from the WCI blog post. Yet you chose to use her name.
                              Last edited by Larry Ragman; 04-18-2022, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Hmm, I heard about this incident before it became a blog post on WCI. At the time, I thought the conspicuous use of pronouns on a name tag was performative virtue signaling and the multiple needle sticks were deliberate harm to a patient with different political beliefs.

Posters on this forum have caused me to revisit those knee-jerk judgments. Sometimes it is difficult to get the vein on the first try. One shouldn’t presume malice where incompetence (or in this case inexperience​​​​​) would suffice. It certainly doesn’t seem like a bad attempt at finding a vein and an inelegant tweet should keep a fourth year U.S. med student from matching to a residency and being able to pay off his or her med school debt.

No need to cite the med student’s name here and make it overly personal. Take good care of your patients, don’t post dumb things on the internet, and don’t default to thinking the worst of the intentions and motivation of people whose worldview might be different than your own.

Comment

Working...
                                X