Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: I Match Your Home Haircuts, and I Raise You the Sofa We Found on the Sidewalk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: I Match Your Home Haircuts, and I Raise You the Sofa We Found on the Sidewalk

I recently read a column on some frugal weirdo tendencies, including home haircuts, that you can do to save money. Challenge accepted!

The post I Match Your Home Haircuts, and I Raise You the Sofa We Found on the Sidewalk appeared first on The White Coat Investor - Investing & Personal Finance for Doctors.

Click here to view the article!
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

I of course love this article. I do not disagree with anything in it. However, I would counter that walking into a men's clothing store last week, picking what I wanted, leaving with a well-fitted suit and new tie, without ever looking at a price tag, is made possible by a couple decades of home haircuts and sidewalk furniture.

And man is that a nice place to be in life right now.

Comment

currently the lost and found area at my kids' elementary school is filled with literally thousands of dollars' worth of winter clothing. Most (at least 90%) will go unclaimed and then get donated to charity. Would anyone "go shopping" there?

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post
        I of course love this article. I do not disagree with anything in it. However, I would counter that walking into a men's clothing store last week, picking what I wanted, leaving with a well-fitted suit and new tie, without ever looking at a price tag, is made possible by a couple decades of home haircuts and sidewalk furniture.

And man is that a nice place to be in life right now.
        IDK, I'd say that walking in and out of a store with a suit off the rack is definitely still to be considered frugal!! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by East coast View Post

IDK, I'd say that walking in and out of a store with a suit off the rack is definitely still to be considered frugal!! ;-)
          It was tailored, but agreed!

Comment

$400k for a one bathroom house for a family of 5.
            The rationalization of “lessons learned” is rather humorous and probably misleading.
            I(we) don’t consider indoor plumbing a luxury item. That last thing I would want to say is “Spread your legs, I need to pee.”
            Put in an outhouse and an outdoor shower.
            Yes, I am familiar with the knock on the door followed by “Hurry up!” and the response “I am busy!” Indoor plumbing is a convenience you can “afford”.

Comment

Loved this article, look forward to the community comments. I looked around the new-build I finally treated myself to after living in fixer-uppers and approximately 50% of my furnishings are decades old that were obtained from thrift stores, Craigslist, ebay and sidewalk offerings. My home won't ever be featured in a magazine but it is reasonably attractive and many of the pieces have sentimental value. I feel fortunate that I no longer have to count pennies but it doesn't mean that I'm throwing away anything that is a quality piece and still in good shape.

Comment

This just sounds like the normal behavior I grew up with.

Comment

Working...
                X