Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: What to Do If You Don’t Match into a Residency Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: What to Do If You Don’t Match into a Residency Program

With more medical school students than available residency positions, Match Day won't be happy for all. Here's what to do if you don't match.

The post What to Do If You Don’t Match into a Residency Program appeared first on The White Coat Investor - Investing & Personal Finance for Doctors.

Click here to view the article!
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Wow match day coming up again?

recommend finding a prelim spot somewhere even if in undesired specialty ie gen surg…
    be careful though as these spots will count towards your residency funding that comes from the govt. ie if someone matches in internal med and completes 1 yr but then wants to change to ortho they will only have 2 yrs of residency funding left. The years you get funding are determined by which program you matched into first. Some programs don’t care some do.

Comment

“although you probably have time to squeeze in another sub-internship”
      I have no idea how many choose this path. One anecdote might give one some hope.
      One ortho candidate did not match.
      Got a sub-internship position.
      Worked his tail off.
      The internship class had one spot lost through attribution. The Ortho Chair called several PG3 and PG4 residents. Should I offer this guy the PG2 spot?
      He had not “quit”. Got the spot, finished residency and fellowship. Low odds. But, if you choose the sub-internship option, networking by working your tail off is a great value. At the program and others for your second shot.
      For those that match but at one low on your list.
      Get over it. You have a great opportunity. Make the most of it and try to be the best resident they ever had. There is no perfect residency, only your perception (which is probably wrong).

Good luck to all.

Comment

great article

my thoughts:
        1. if your dean or advisor tells you you need a parallel plan, listen to them. the landscape on this has shifted enormously from the time many of the forum readers went through. i would say in EM we are frankly open at this point to an applicant who is applying to ortho w/ EM as a backup. 10 years ago this was a kiss of death that you had to try to hide, now it's become much more widely accepted.
        2. if you end up in a prelim year your sole goal should be to be the best intern in the entire hospital, this will be unlikely to be consistent with living your personal best life but it might pay off hugely. at the end of the day you are re-entering the match as a doctor (not a student) and a letter or call from an attending who has already seen you work as a resident can be massive.
        3. my personal experience is that the job market for MD/DO grads w/ no training/practice is actually pretty terrible. theoretically you could try for an entry level spot at a consulting shop (which might be harder than many residencies TBH) but you're fighting kids w/ econ degrees from Ivys for those spots. med school teaches you how to be ready for residency and almost no other useful information. even for people who don't plan to practice being BC/BE is pretty useful. as for profit DO schools/new med schools proliferate i think the market effect on this pathway is going to get very bad indeed. people w/ $200k in loans and no prospects are going to be willing to do almost anything for $90-100k/year.

Comment

Working...
        X