No announcement yet.

Med Twitter dust up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder what Dr G thinks of Dave Ramsey … scorched earth, only eat rice and beans ??? Lol

Comment

“In the end people just need to consider the feelings of others. White people don’t get to decide what’s racist and what isn’t. Even if I disagree with something, I still check myself and my privilege. The comment was inflammatory and belittling by itself. It was worded extremely poorly. If I had been on the receiving end, I would be angry. The attending could have apologized for his poor wording as this was happening. The fact that this came from an attending is discouraging.”

These discussions never end well. Blame game, signaling, echo chamber, opinions, insults, ignorance, absolutely no actionable actions or conclusions. No one wins. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

Thanks. I was hoping for the tweets but I'm sure this will give me something to do when I'm looking to kill some time.
        Don’t waste your time.

Comment

Ok, just out of curiosity, since I’m not on Twitter, I googled medtwitter to see what it was. I just, ugh, I just don’t get it….that’s unfortunately 10 minutes of my life that I’ll never get back.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorbone View Post
            I’m just glad most of us on WCI are civilized and can disagree without being vindictive. Even boggleheads are becoming a little too crazy.
            I stopped bogleheads a few years ago... dont miss it at all

Comment

Originally posted by billy View Post

I stopped bogleheads a few years ago... dont miss it at all
              I used to visit there multiple times per week. Now I check over there maybe once a month, if that. You can only take so many “why international” or “pay off mortgage or invest” or “how do I get out of paying this medical bill” threads before you’ve seen it all. I also don’t miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post
                Ok, just out of curiosity, since I’m not on Twitter, I googled medtwitter to see what it was. I just, ugh, I just don’t get it….that’s unfortunately 10 minutes of my life that I’ll never get back.
                Another learning opportunity. I am pretty sure you learned from it. Hope it doesn’t move the needle.. File it away in memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post
                  The more fun apology was when an african american med student was insulted that WCI implied they should have known they werent going to get paid much as a resident. It was spun as a racial thing when really i just saw it as punching down - i'd save the tough love for a doctor who already makes a high income, not someone whose clearly stressed out and only a trainee, regardless of race.
                  not sure what happened here but again is totally right. they should know that.

this is why i avoid med twitter, toxic and terrible and full of whiny types looking for their first social validation.

Comment

I do not get Twitter. I had to scroll forever to even find a WCI post and it was not even the one that caused the fuss. Who has time for this?

But the real point here is that the internet is full of echo chambers. None of which simulate real life. I prefer this one here because I agree with a lot of the same values and I have learned a ton from you guys. That YOLO crowd is not going to be swayed. No point in trying. Some of them will make their way over here when they are 10 years out of training and still have 6 figures of student loans and a topped off mortgage on a mc mansion and are trying to find a way to handle their new car payment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                      I do not get Twitter. I had to scroll forever to even find a WCI post and it was not even the one that caused the fuss. Who has time for this?
                      The same people who post about how "swamped" and "busy" they are while at work yet have time to post 100 selfies throughout the work day.

Comment

I kind of took it as a misunderstanding. DGlaucomflecken was speaking from a unique personal experience and WCI may not have realized the backstory. It doesn't look like DGlauc even responded in the whole "exchange" -- an army of fans will always have people who take things too personally or in the wrong light. Once WCI realized the unique context, he apologized. Overall classy mea culpa imo. I hope DGlauc takes him up on his offer to speak on the podcast and present his experience.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower View Post

I used to visit there multiple times per week. Now I check over there maybe once a month, if that. You can only take so many “why international” or “pay off mortgage or invest” or “how do I get out of paying this medical bill” threads before you’ve seen it all. I also don’t miss it.
                          You forgot the posts by people telling to have like 50% bonds at any age for no reason. It got ridiculous to read. It became a cult for a lot of people. No independent thought or nuance just do this because a long time ago someone said do it that way and if you don't we think you are an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by RoentgenRacing View Post

You forgot the posts by people telling to have like 50% bonds at any age for no reason. It got ridiculous to read. It became a cult for a lot of people. No independent thought or nuance just do this because a long time ago someone said do it that way and if you don't we think you are an idiot.
                            My favorite are the emergency fund threads where it inevitably devolves into people saying they have x years in checking/savings, then x years in I-bonds, then always proceed to say something along the lines of that if they still needed money (after 5 years and not retired?) then they’d use their investment accounts for another xx years. Yeah, that sounds like retirement and not an emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post
                              I went there and all I could see are people bragging "Hey look I got into Ophthal residency and Penn and USC are lucky to have me". And even attending blowing their horns on how they have been appointed Chair of Pathology at Rutgers.

I could not find Jim's thread. Must be like the needle in a haystack.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower View Post

The "Investing Theory" section on Bogleheads has good detailed and analytical posts about various topics. But the main page of Personal Investments is not really worth visiting nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                                X