No announcement yet.

Med Twitter dust up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It also doesn't have to be all or none (FOMO/spend all vs MMM/frugal save all). My wife was diagnosed with cancer a year after I became an attending. We prioritized our spending/saving to what really gave us joy (trips), but still made it a point to save >20% gross each year. Still lived like a resident more than the FOMO crowd, still didn't feel like we were missing out on anything. Before her diagnosis I thought I'd get a super expensive doctor car (90k), then I realized it wouldnt really bring me that much joy, plus I could always rent it when I felt the need. The WCI path is why I was able to take the last few months off of work (no paycheck) while attending to my wife's needs before she died without any financial stress. Had I FOMO'd it the whole time bc of her diagnosis, I would've had a lot more stress and would've likely had to go back to work before I was ready, or would've had to start borrowing money. The WCI path is also why I was in the position to turn down call positions when I left my former group which was malignant, and to cut back on work hours- I didn't need the extra pay to maintain my lifestyle. Having money saved up gives you the ability to choose a better work/life balance when ************************ happens. So spending it "just in case something happens later" can make the later worse off. I'd say purposeful spending after having saved 20% gross is the correct compromise between the two extremes (FOMO spend vs Frugal save).

Comment

I remember when I created a twitter account....

I was applying to residency. Thought it would be a good idea to follow some twitter accounts of the programs that I applied to. Made it about 3 months until I deactivated and permanently deleted my account. Don't underestimate the cesspool that is medtwitter.

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post
        I forgot why I wasn’t on Twitter, then I read the Twitter thread, and suddenly it all came back to me why I’m not on it….
        yeah i cut my twitter use back by 99% recently
        hopped on today to check notifications, saw this, and remembered why i'm basically off the platform.
        med twitter is a mess. it's egalitarian but because of that there is absolutely no quality control on information. and it heavily rewards snarky quick takes on complex topics.

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post
          The more fun apology was when an african american med student was insulted that WCI implied they should have known they werent going to get paid much as a resident. It was spun as a racial thing when really i just saw it as punching down - i'd save the tough love for a doctor who already makes a high income, not someone whose clearly stressed out and only a trainee, regardless of race.
          Link?

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

Link?
            https://www.reddit.com/r/medicalscho...ut_by_wci_for/

Comment

Thanks. I was hoping for the tweets but I'm sure this will give me something to do when I'm looking to kill some time.

Comment

I very much subscribe to the “live like a resident” theory, but Glaukomflecken did briefly kind of die, so he has a certain point of view that is valid also.

He gave a lecture for an EM conference where he talked about his experience…. Or mostly that of his non medical wife. They played the actual 911 recoding of his wife on the phone being instructed on how to do CPR on him til 911 could get there. I think the call was 11 minutes long, with him at home unconscious in VT/VF. That recording was something else. His wife’s little voice, and his kids in the background. She was a real hero. A real hero that you only run across very rarely in life. He was a goner. Jesus he got lucky that day.

The brief talk was basically a big “Thank You” to everyone who took care of him and helped him, and a reminder to think of the families behind the codes and critical patients.

I think, “enjoying the simple things” is a better way to think about it post residency, knowing realistically any minute could be your last. If you could listen to that recording, you might think treading lightly about this is the way to go.

Comment

I always say personal finance is personal. Everyone's situation/priorities/goals are different. As all things in life, the right answer is somewhere in the middle.

As much as you need to reward your present self, you need to reward your future self. Anything bad can happen at any time and your future self may not be there, but the odds of that are astronomically low for a young healthy physician.

WCI's message could've come across slightly better but I don't think there needed to be any type of formal apology.

Comment

Live like a resident but pay to get your family/friends BLS certified + a home AED?

Comment

i really enjoy DrG content (his floor vs. ICU ED attending one is absolutely amazing)

obviously his story is harrowing and his wife kept it together and saved his life.

whether or not Jim was "tone deaf" or not i will leave for others to decide. i am not as easily offended as the average twitter user, not that that's a high bar.

it is always interesting to see the sheer number of twitter users who are bots or fake accounts. that's when someone named @uncleRico452967 who has a fake picture, joined one month ago, and follows only 3 alt-right news sites is in your comments stirring the pot.

i would guess there is a non-zero chance that DrG ends up on WCI cast and they laugh heartily about this incident like the grown-****************** men i assume them both to be.

Comment

I did not read the whole deal. Stopped after 5 min. Another reason to avoid twitter etc. Go do something, learn something, build something or visit with someone who adds value.

Comment

I'm not a Twitter person and while it sounded like a rapid fire response from Jim I was not impressed by the mob pile up. While I can appreciate the desire to protect this nice fellow a majority of the YOLO comments came across to me as silverspoon fed little darlings who haven't hadn’t ever had to look at a price tag in their lives and very un-physicianlike to continue beating a dead horse.

Comment

Med Twitter is cancer. That's all you really need to know about this situation.

Comment

I’m just glad most of us on WCI are civilized and can disagree without being vindictive. Even boggleheads are becoming a little too crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by RoentgenRacing View Post
                                Med Twitter is cancer. That's all you really need to know about this situation.
                                There’s still some good FOAMed out there but, like all things, there’s definitely a mob mentality out there with regards to pretty much everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X