No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: 19 of the Cheapest Medical Schools in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, my school made the wall of shame. Pretty ridiculous that they can charge that much for tuition but still constantly call, send me letters and e-mails asking for donations.

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post
      I wonder how bad it could get before things change. I guess you could reasonably spend 600+ if you chose a high paying specialty and it would be fine. It seems like the AAMC could maybe do something…
      Why would they care? Not like they are paying.

Comment

Medical school tuitions for public institutions are politically driven. The instate /out of state as well. If the state “wants” lower tuition, so be it. Higher is desired? That is fine too.
        • Public universities in Texas are legally required to cap their out-of-state enrollment at 10 percent.
        Make no mistake, every school wants to be “national” so they want to fill that percentage.

A nice write up how the game is played for admissions.
        https://www.shemmassianconsulting.co...hools-in-texas

Because of the cost, multiple acceptances and the have a process for whittling that down based solely on candidate ranking.. The instate interview rates are misleading. One candidate will commonly interview at 5 or 6.

This accomplished group doesn’t seem to have the problem of many. Just getting into a medical school is tough. Cost is only a factor when one has choices. Many get one and waitlisted on several others. Each medical school works their waitlist independently. The applicant then can accept only if they ranked them higher. It is a weird process that has an end.

I could be wrong, I think the school financial assistance is geared to the out of state students.

Weird system with low cost options driven by politics. This is not caused by the altruistic tendency of universities.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko-ER View Post
          Wow, re: those med school costs! Didn't realize how much they have gone up. Good on you for the "wall of shame", though I doubt it will have any effect on the school, maybe it will on matriculants.

I know the title stated "costs in the USA", and I would never advocate US citizens going to the Carribean for med school education, if you are lucky enough to have dual US - European or Australian, New Zealand, or Singapore citizenship, I *would* strongly consider medical education in select countries there, then transfer over to the US for residency.
          The Caribbean schools are not cheap. People don’t go there to save money.

Comment

The wall of Shame Public MD schools
            1. University of South Carolina (Greenville): $91,599
            2. University of South Carolina (Columbia): $91,465
            3. Northeast Ohio Medical University: $87,606
            4. University of Illinois School of Medicine: $86,437
            5. University of Utah School of Medicine: $83,332
            6. University of South Dakota, Sanford School of Medicine: $81,384
            7. University of Connecticut School of Medicine: $79,973
            8. University of Maryland School of Medicine: $77,106
            9. University of Hawaii, John A. Burns School of Medicine: $76,765
            10. University of Colorado School of Medicine: $71,739

The top two are in my state but I feel that this ranking is not quite what it seems. If you look at the Greenville and Columbia costs, they are actually $43-45K per year for in state students, in line with what other states charge for in-state. It is only the out of state that pay these outrageous prices. I bet many of the others on this list might be similar for in-state versus OOS.

The state does not give much money to USC because of budget cuts.. So they have to be self sufficient. The 45K per year might not cover their operating costs. So they sock it to the OOS. Now if the out of state students don't want to pay those prices, they are welcome to get their MD in their own state or in the private schools.

Flipping the coin, the undergrad education for UCLA, UC Berkley, Univ of Michigan are dirt cheap at 15-20K for in-state students. But should a South Carolinian apply and get in there, guess what they charge - 50-55K. Full amount. If we want to go there we have to pony up that amount or stay at home.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

The top two are in my state but I feel that this ranking is not quite what it seems. If you look at the Greenville and Columbia costs, they are actually $43-45K per year for in state students, in line with what other states charge for in-state. It is only the out of state that pay these outrageous prices. I bet many of the others on this list might be similar for in-state versus OOS.

The state does not give much money to USC because of budget cuts.. So they have to be self sufficient. The 45K per year might not cover their operating costs. So they sock it to the OOS. Now if the out of state students don't want to pay those prices, they are welcome to get their MD in their own state or in the private schools.

Flipping the coin, the undergrad education for UCLA, UC Berkley, Univ of Michigan are dirt cheap at 15-20K for in-state students. But should a South Carolinian apply and get in there, guess what they charge - 50-55K. Full amount. If we want to go there we have to pony up that amount or stay at home.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
              Reading the FAQ for USC Greenville, OOS students can establish residency after their first year. So the average tuition comes out to $55-$60K. If the California and Michigan schools allow the same benefit then they are a much better deal.

Assuming all public schools allow the option to establish residency after a year, the private schools on this list are really the most egregious offenders.

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post
                Well, my school made the wall of shame. Pretty ridiculous that they can charge that much for tuition but still constantly call, send me letters and e-mails asking for donations.
                Any requests for money from my medical school go straight into the trash can. I already 'donated' my share of money. Money shouldn't be an issue for these schools. If it is, then there are other reasons they're in trouble and it isn't low donations.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Any requests for money from my medical school go straight into the trash can. I already 'donated' my share of money. Money shouldn't be an issue for these schools. If it is, then there are other reasons they're in trouble and it isn't low donations.

My favorite request for money from my medical school was to develop a trust to pay all tuition for medical students. At the time I still had medical school loans so I almost replied that if they paid off my loans first, then I would consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

I used to be living in the land of rainbows and unicorns, where I felt that each class could endow 1-3 spots. So with 50 years of docs at my alma mater, you could essentially ensure that every kid gets a free ride.

But as I mentioned above, the tuition has gone up 3x that of inflation. Easy to imagine what the school would do with a blank check--kinda like the horror movie where you know that the bad guy is hiding in the closet with a chainsaw.

Hey, Econ 101 says that they still have room to charge more...there sure isn't a lack of applicants. And at least medicine has a reasonable ROI when compared to some dubious education expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Sampter View Post

My favorite request for money from my medical school was to develop a trust to pay all tuition for medical students. At the time I still had medical school loans so I almost replied that if they paid off my loans first, then I would consider it.
                      I wonder if we went to the same school? Yes, it is quite tone deaf to hit the indebted...I don't recall getting requests til the 5 year reunion, at least many were out of residency by then.

Comment

I enjoy the letters they include from students that basically say 'your donations allow students like me to become doctors'. I kind of want to write back and tell them that they'd better pick a high paying specialty.

Comment

Hey, every university employees "Alumni Relations" ;Actually fund raisers to ask for free money. The funny part if they target only those that have actually paid!
                          If you were paid, they know the response rate is zero. Think residency and fellowships. Blowing in the wind.

Kamban ,
                          Politics. When were they ever "cheap" for UCLA and USC? State's decide how they want to tax and spend. Hasn't changed.

Can't hold a candle to Texas Tech in Lubbock. Top 10 things to do : https://youtu.be/3neZKes-C2I

The most entertaining thing that happened to Lubbock was Mike Leach. If you like dust, Lubbock is the place to be: 2:35 Mike talks about mud rain. Of course Mike has moved on. https://youtu.be/qSPcMXWJjUg The West Texas weather tax.
                          Many would pay alot to avoid 4 years in Lubbock.

Leach is a rather unique guy. Funny on youtube.

Comment

Funny that the University of Utah is on the shame list. I interviewed there in 2003 (as a Utah resident) after I’d already been accepted at a higher ranked school (and the one I ended up going to) and wait listed at a top 20 school. The Dean spoke (he was a pompous horse’s a**) and talked about how “there are 19,000 reasons you should want to go here” (tuition at the time was $19,xxx for Utah residents) as basically the only reason why prospective students should choose them.

In my interview they asked me what I would do if I didn’t get accepted there that year. I was done with their BS at that point and said I’d already been accepted at another school. Then I realized what they wanted to hear and said “but if I hadn’t then I would come and talk to someone on the committee here and see how I could improve my application and re-apply next year blah blah blah…”. I got my rejection letter a few weeks later, then went to my top school where I incidentally paid resident tuition of around $23,xxx because my wife got a job and worked full time, which she would have done regardless. Paid in-state tuition for 4 years anyway, and matched into orthopedics. So suck on that University of Utah.
                            Last edited by MaxPower; 01-25-2022, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I started getting calls from my college while still there for medical school. I gave them a bunch of crap and they never called again.

My wife complains because the school always calls her and she just ignores it. One time I answered it for her and they asked for her by her maiden name. I told them that she no longer exists and they stopped calling.

No means no! I am not going to let someone pester me into a donation. I said it to the Red Cross and I will say it to you!

( I have been donating blood again but I do not like to be pestered about it)

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Can't hold a candle to Texas Tech in Lubbock. Top 10 things to do : https://youtu.be/3neZKes-C2I

The most entertaining thing that happened to Lubbock was Mike Leach. If you like dust, Lubbock is the place to be: 2:35 Mike talks about mud rain. Of course Mike has moved on. https://youtu.be/qSPcMXWJjUg The West Texas weather tax.
                                Many would pay alot to avoid 4 years in Lubbock.

Leach is a rather unique guy. Funny on youtube.
                                I have been to both Lubbock and Amarillo. I think I got a job offer there, can't remember which one. No disrespect to anyone on this forum working in either of those cities, but I am glad I did not take up a job in either of those cities.

I would pay an exit tax to get out of Lubbock or Amarillo. Escape maybe to Dallas?

Comment

Working...
                                X