Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: Early Retirement Now with Dr. Karsten – Podcast #246

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dusn
    • Jan 2018

Right. It was a great interview and I learned a lot.

Relying on a health share ministry does seems like an unnecessary way to risk your life savings for someone who’s doing well enough financially to buy real health insurance.

I’d be interested in hearing more about his options trading strategy though.

Comment

• LazerBeams
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Dusn
      Right. It was a great interview and I learned a lot.

Relying on a health share ministry does seems like an unnecessary way to risk your life savings for someone who’s doing well enough financially to buy real health insurance.

I’d be interested in hearing more about his options trading strategy though.
      He has a series of posts explaining it on his blog. Here's a link to the latest post, it has backlinks to the beginning
      November 10, 2021 Welcome to a new post in the Put Option Writing Series. My blogging buddy Spintwig volunteered to perform another backtest simulation. If you remember from Part 5, he simulated selling 5-delta and 10-delta put options going back to 2018. He now added 18 more months of returns to go back to September…

Comment

• lemonlime
        • Apr 2021

This was a great podcast episode. Much of it was over my head, but I learned a lot and have a direction to go for further reading.

Would love to see more like this in the future.

Comment

• VagabondMD
          Radiologist (retired)
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by pit.alumni
          I thought he was interesting but not sure he’s truly “walking the talk”
          He’s making his current income based on an option strategy, blogging, and teaching a course. He’s still working, he’s just found an area where he can mostly control how and when he’s working.
          His option strategy has worked great in a prolonged bull market, doubtful it will work in a prolonged bear.
          He’s relying on a health share ministry for his health insurance. I think they’re kind of like Medicare advantage plans, good until you’re really sick and want something more than bread and butter care.
          Ah, the early retirement police finally showed up. I had the same thoughts. He has changed careers from a Wall Street financier to an options trader, consultant, and teacher. It sounds like the options strategy keeps him pretty busy, too, checking throughout the day on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Not that there is anything wrong with it, as he spends his time doing what he wants to do and no longer answers to The Man.

I agree with the Health Sharing Ministry comment. He is one MVA or breast cancer diagnosis from getting his clock cleaned. I guess he could always go back to work. I think that this is being penny wise and pound foolish.

Comment

• Kamban
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by pit.alumni
            I thought he was interesting but not sure he’s truly “walking the talk”
            He’s making his current income based on an option strategy, blogging, and teaching a course. He’s still working, he’s just found an area where he can mostly control how and when he’s working
            That is pretty much what happens for all those not quite FI or wanting a fatter FI but want to call themselves RE. It is just a different type of work. If they don't constantly update their blog and be in the news, their value and income goes down dramatically. Even the so called social influencers have to put in hard days and sometimes night work to justify their not holding down a regular job.

Comment

• dayman
              Physician
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by VagabondMD

Ah, the early retirement police finally showed up. I had the same thoughts. He has changed careers from a Wall Street financier to an options trader, consultant, and teacher. It sounds like the options strategy keeps him pretty busy, too, checking throughout the day on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Not that there is anything wrong with it, as he spends his time doing what he wants to do and no longer answers to The Man.

I agree with the Health Sharing Ministry comment. He is one MVA or breast cancer diagnosis from getting his clock cleaned. I guess he could always go back to work. I think that this is being penny wise and pound foolish.
              I don't think the goal of the FIRE movement is to live a life of pure leisure, never lifting a finger. The goal is just to gain control of your time. It sounds like he has done that, and whether or not we call it "retirement" is irrelevant.

I tend to agree with you guys on the health sharing ministry stuff, though I don't know enough about them to have a strong opinion. Massive potential downside for being wrong there.

Comment

• Tim
                • Sep 2018

Very entertaining and informative post.
                • Would be interested in an update on his “insurance approach” using the short term options. When events occur, losses can capsize the ship. He is obviously aware of risk management. Just curious.
                • The health insurance, was curious.
                • I greatly enjoyed his personal assessment of SWR. I didn’t use it. I spend what I need and see where I am at the end of the year. Brilliant.
                What wasn’t said was ,Then I decide if I need to make more money or cut expenses.
                Good for him, He made a lifestyle choice.
                “If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” WC Fields
                He can do both.. Very entertaining but few have his skills.

Comment

• Turf Doc
                  Med Student
                  • Jan 2020

Goes to show how when you’re rich worrying about the 4% rule is kind of comical. I wonder if he ever thought he’d be able to cover all his expenses just with his current gigs.

also would’ve been interested to hear what his strategy would have been assuming he fully living off his portfolio. Since I assume he could have done that if he wanted, I think he counts as FIREd

Comment

Working...