No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: 5 Things the White Coat Investor Gets Wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would also add vhcol is routinely bashed, while the expenses of kids and charitable giving are not seriously criticized on grounds of personal preference.

really, there is inherent difficulty of giving general financial advice that is meant to apply to all (such as is found in a book or website) when personal finance is personal. just started wade pfau’s most recent retirement planning book. he invites readers to take a survey in order to discover your retirement spending “style” and hence which chapters of the book should be followed. seems like a good attempt to make book advice personalized.

haven’t gotten into the weeds (numbers) as i am not near retirement, but i have the notion that spias could replace some portion of bond allocation for retirement, thus allowing me to stay higher in equities and ride out dips with a lower withdrawal rate due to the flooring effect. also insures for longevity risk (will see how healthy i feel). probably make the most sense for retirement accounts in the lower end of 7 figures or in six figures.
    “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

i'd be interested in seeing the consequences of what a 10% yearly tithe does on achieving FI. Considering the tax deductions, ability to flush out capital gains, etc i think it would be pretty interesting. And i hear about it (10% tithe) not infrequently, not just from WCI but also people who send in questions on the podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post
        i'd be interested in seeing the consequences of what a 10% yearly tithe does on achieving FI. Considering the tax deductions, ability to flush out capital gains, etc i think it would be pretty interesting. And i hear about it (10% tithe) not infrequently, not just from WCI but also people who send in questions on the podcast
        The way I look at it. If you're open to giving freely, opportunities will find their way to you with that openness.

Likewise, if one is miserly with own talents and wealth, so will the lack of growth that can be attained.

I don't think 10% tithing impacts significantly for those are inclined to done so already as the thought of FI in those cases probably adjusted to it already. FI really is state of mind as much as a line in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post
          Well, it is not exactly what you were looking for, but this article is close: https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/wh...1-account-fee/

Comment

The blog comments have kind of freaked me out. Weird how the same forum can have such diverse subsections. I wonder if the Facebook thing is very different than here also?

Comment

Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post
              The blog comments have kind of freaked me out. Weird how the same forum can have such diverse subsections. I wonder if the Facebook thing is very different than here also?
              I generally stopped reading the blog comments when WCI began posting the links here in the Forum as an economy of effort. Since I go to the links and read them early, there are few or no comments when I do. And if I post, I prefer it here. Just went back to see comments on the blog. Interesting the turn it took, but I think that can happen here too. That is, the threads go off track in response to one comment or another.

Comment

It is interesting the types who gravitate to the forum versus the blog and fb. Poll lordosis?

Comment

Originally posted by blippi View Post
                  would also add vhcol is routinely bashed, while the expenses of kids and charitable giving are not seriously criticized on grounds of personal preference.

really, there is inherent difficulty of giving general financial advice that is meant to apply to all (such as is found in a book or website) when personal finance is personal. just started wade pfau’s most recent retirement planning book. he invites readers to take a survey in order to discover your retirement spending “style” and hence which chapters of the book should be followed. seems like a good attempt to make book advice personalized.

haven’t gotten into the weeds (numbers) as i am not near retirement, but i have the notion that spias could replace some portion of bond allocation for retirement, thus allowing me to stay higher in equities and ride out dips with a lower withdrawal rate due to the flooring effect. also insures for longevity risk (will see how healthy i feel). probably make the most sense for retirement accounts in the lower end of 7 figures or in six figures.
                  I agree that VHCOL gets bashed more but at least in my mind that is a bigger hurdle. All aspects of life are more expensive in a VHCOLA including kids.

Kids alone do not need to be tremendously expensive. They can be just regular expensive.

Hatton I think it would be tough to poll because we would only get those here not on the blog or the facebookers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post

Define nerdy forum users please.
                    That is a topic for another guest article!
                    Social security bend points
                    Risk profile (capacity and tolerance) are different for retirement savings vs wealth building)
                    One's who consider risk before they even dream about returns
                    Those the actually read ERN and understand it.
                    Those that understand you don't reach for returns on "safe money" and use bonds effectively for a purpose.

Just a few, I will let you write the guest post. Great question. It;s nerdy not just in math but the behavioral aspects as well.

Comment

fiphysician on annuities replacing some bonds in retirement:

https://www.fiphysician.com/annuity-when-i-retire/
                      “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

Working...
                      X