Backdoor roth if spouse has large amount in traditional Ira

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backdoor roth if spouse has large amount in traditional Ira

Can I do a backdoor Roth IRA if my spouse has funds in a traditional IRA? She's not working currently, so no option to rollover into a 401k, and the amount is too high to convert right now.

We file jointly but curious if her traditional Ira impacts my ability to do one

Her IRAs have nothing to do with yours, and vice versa.

Comment

What DMFA said. They are individual.

Comment

in the same boat...  about to open a solo 401k and put trad ira money in there.  this is an option to open the backdoor roth for a non-working spouse.  see the "opening a business to get an individual 401 k for a rollover"

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/pennies-and-the-backdoor-roth-ira/

Comment

Can I do a backdoor Roth IRA if my spouse has funds in a traditional IRA? She’s not working currently, so no option to rollover into a 401k, and the amount is too high to convert right now.

We file jointly but curious if her traditional Ira impacts my ability to do one

The "I" in IRA stands for "individual".  In other words, IRAs are person-specific accounts.  Your spouse's IRA status doesn't affect yours and vice-versa.  So, yes, you can do a backdoor Roth as long as YOU don't run afoul of the pro-rata rule (i.e. have money in any traditional or SEP IRAs of your own).

Comment

Working...
          X