Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: The 25 Most Affordable Medical Schools in the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: The 25 Most Affordable Medical Schools in the United States

While the cost of higher education has gone up drastically in recent decades, there are affordable medical schools to be ... Read more

Click here to view the article!
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

The cost of higher education has gone up. Typically the discussions (rants) are state neutral and followed by the loan burdens from the federal loan process.

• in-state tuition / out of state
    • public/ private

I wish some economic study would address the geographic arbitrage as well. For many, out of state in Texas will be cheaper than in-state.

None of these lists every comprehend that. Some of the “top 25” in state would lose their place, out of state in Texas is cheaper than in state.

The total cost of living is actually more related to the specific location of the med school, not the state or it’s taxes. Primarily housing.

The point is a top 25 list or ranking is a starting place only. If you are shopping for price, more work needs to be done .
    Tuition + housing = cost

Comment

while i won't list them, i think there are a cohort of medical schools that i would say represent a very unhappy valley:

-high cost
      -relatively low prestige

i actually went to one of these schools. i got a reasonable education but clearly paid for some "bells and whistles" with loans at 5%. i wouldn't say i regret it per se especially since i met one of my lifelong best friends there, but it would be difficult for me to recommend the school to a talented young pre-med who was going to be borrowing.

no one needs to @ me about the concept of prestige in education or tell their story about how it doesn't matter, i know it's not the most important thing in the world. i'm just saying that notable lack of it is not a feature.

otoh there are some state medical schools that i think do an excellent job for a reasonable amount of money, these seem pretty hard to beat.

when choosing a med school i think you either need prestige or low cost if you have the choice and in 2021 i would pick low cost.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post

when choosing a med school i think you either need prestige or low cost if you have the choice and in 2021 i would pick low cost.
        Surprisingly few have a choice, or at least a choice where one of them meets even one of those criteria.
        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I was lucky to have lived in TX. Plenty of good schools to choose from and all pretty affordable. My Alma mater was 4th on the list. I had a great experience there, it's laid back and everyone was supportive and friendly- no competitive back stabbing, they don't mistreat the students or try to grind them down, and I was well prepared for residency. It's very different from the med school here in UT.

Comment

"If you’re concerned about the cost of medical school, rest assured that you can obtain a quality education for a lesser price, thanks to these more affordable institutions."

Really silly. Half of matriculants have only 1 choice. So about 20% of applicants have more than one choice for med school... this list isn't all that useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post
              "If you’re concerned about the cost of medical school, rest assured that you can obtain a quality education for a lesser price, thanks to these more affordable institutions."

Really silly. Half of matriculants have only 1 choice. So about 20% of applicants have more than one choice for med school... this list isn't all that useful.
              Oh you mean medical school admissions are competitive? For various reasons those “wait list” spots are coveted, even in Texas. “Mom, I finally got in!” are reasons to celebrate. Opens up a spot if you had another acceptance.

It does add value about where you apply and interview.

Comment

How many choices did you have? I wonder if we are skewed on the forum? Sounds like poll material 😊

Comment

Where’s NYU? I thought it’s tuition is free

Comment

I think the number one school on that list is really one of the more higher cost schools. You just don't pay the money up front.

Comment

Also, I went to one of the schools on that list and the information listed is highly inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

How many choices did you have? I wonder if we are skewed on the forum? Sounds like poll material 😊
                        I had 2 choices but they were both the same (expensive) cost, unfortunately. I'm sure WCI already has this around somewhere, but a post on why your dream school is a state school would be more helpful, since for many people that's the easiest school to get into. Unfortunately californians don't really have that opportunity!

If I still had access i might peak in to the MSAR to look at the in-state/out of state acceptance rates to these schools. My understanding is texas state schools must reserve 90% of their spots for texas residents so them being cheap doesnt really matter to the rest of the country. And many state schools have such large in-state biases that out of staters shouldn't even apply

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                          I think the number one school on that list is really one of the more higher cost schools. You just don't pay the money up front.
                          I agree. My wife went to med school on an Air Force scholarship, so her school was free, but her salary was considerably lower than mine during her 4 years of payback time, so to call it the cheapest is a bit misleading.

Comment

I had 2 choices but they were both the same (expensive) cost, unfortunately. I'm sure WCI already has this around somewhere, but a post on why your dream school is a state school would be more helpful, since for many people that's the easiest school to get into. Unfortunately californians don't really have that opportunity!

If I still had access i might peak in to the MSAR to look at the in-state/out of state acceptance rates to these schools. My understanding is texas state schools must reserve 90% of their spots for texas residents so them being cheap doesnt really matter to the rest of the country. And many state schools have such large in-state biases that out of staters shouldn't even apply
                            https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pro...l-schools/amp/

In state bias seems to exist in every state, duh state tax dollars.
                            In Texas at least, the different schools actually have different personalities of what they are targeting. The “good thing” is one application for all schools. If you get interviews, then you are likely in the running and have earlier possibilities for openings. Texas residents end up with only one offer. Any others disappear. That is when out of state can fill up.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post
                              while i won't list them, i think there are a cohort of medical schools that i would say represent a very unhappy valley:

-high cost
                              -relatively low prestige

i actually went to one of these schools. i got a reasonable education but clearly paid for some "bells and whistles" with loans at 5%. i wouldn't say i regret it per se especially since i met one of my lifelong best friends there, but it would be difficult for me to recommend the school to a talented young pre-med who was going to be borrowing.

no one needs to @ me about the concept of prestige in education or tell their story about how it doesn't matter, i know it's not the most important thing in the world. i'm just saying that notable lack of it is not a feature.

otoh there are some state medical schools that i think do an excellent job for a reasonable amount of money, these seem pretty hard to beat.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but I think it depends on what region you’re in and whether you shine at that school or not. It sounds like we went to similar schools. Low national ranking but I’d put the education I received there up against high ranking schools. Many of my classmates wanted to stay in the region and they had no problem doing so. And many went into competitive residencies and great programs. This is why I think the Step 1 pass fail decision is terrible. It’ll bias people away from looking at talent, which comes from all sorts of places.

Comment

Working...
                              X