Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lordosis
    replied
    I also had the job of lawnmowing from about 10-18. My sister also got out of it which irked me. We had 5 acres but only mowed 3. Took about 2-3 hours on a rider. Another 30-60 minutes for trim but I did not always do that every week. I do not remember hating it but I remember it being boring. I would always challenge myself to get it done faster or more efficiently.

I would love to do it now. Sitting on a mower for 2 hours a week sounds awesome! I could get ahead on my audiobooks or just think. Sometimes I feel we do not let ourselves get bored enough and it prevents us from really delving into our mind.

Now I have a little half acre lot that I hire a neighbor/friend to mow for $30 a time. It is so cheap I hate to give it up but I do miss it. I am thinking about taking it back over this summer. I could easily do it with a push. I might get one of those electric guys.

Leave a comment:

• doctorbone
    replied
    Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
    My dad made me do the lawn since I was 8-9 till I was 16. I hated that so much.
    We had one acre lot in South Georgia while growing up. I had to cut that grass every week in 90+ degree heat and humidity. Took me 2 hours to cut it and I hated every min of it.

Leave a comment:

• VentAlarm
    replied

No it taught me nothing, only resentment because my sister would sit in the house and get to do whatever she wanted. I don't have a lawn to mow.
    I don’t trust a man that doesn’t enjoy cutting his grass.

Leave a comment:

• Craigslist
    replied
    Originally posted by pierre View Post

Now do you look back fondly on that time you spent mowing the lawn as kid and appreciate the skills you learned? And every time you fire up the lawnmower think of how glad you are that your dad made you stick with it, like all those kids that were forced to play the piano?
    No it taught me nothing, only resentment because my sister would sit in the house and get to do whatever she wanted. I don't have a lawn to mow.

Leave a comment:

• pierre
    replied
    Now do you look back fondly on that time you spent mowing the lawn as kid and appreciate the skills you learned? And every time you fire up the lawnmower think of how glad you are that your dad made you stick with it, like all those kids that were forced to play the piano?

Leave a comment:

• VentAlarm
    replied
    It’s good for you.

Leave a comment:

• Craigslist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VentAlarm
    replied
    Originally posted by Larry Ragman View Post

Some services are worth it, including house cleaning and yard maintenance. That said, between the ages of 12 and 18 the yard was my son’s job no matter how much better a professional would have done it.
    Nah, the lawn is all mine.

Leave a comment:

• Larry Ragman
    replied
    Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post
    I just had a maid come to our house for the first time. She scrubbed all the toilets, mopped, dusted, changed the sheets and cleaned out the microwave and oven. It was $200 for the first time and $160 for each subsequent. She did this while I gave a lecture then played with my son.

For $320/mo, my wife and I are never going to be wash sheets/towels or scrub a toilet or shower again.

I feel incredibly rich. I just bought back time with my family and a cleaner home for what amounts to a rounding error. I am simultaneously happy that I pushed this off until several years into being an attending. We’ve done a nice job of delayed gratification, making each step still feel rich. This is under 2% of my take home and just improved my and just wife’s happiness.
    Some services are worth it, including house cleaning and yard maintenance. That said, between the ages of 12 and 18 the yard was my son’s job no matter how much better a professional would have done it.

Leave a comment:

• VentAlarm
    replied
    We’re hosting Christmas dinner for the in-laws. Spend $300 on wine, champagne, beer and liquor. I have something nice that everyone will like.

Leave a comment:

• pysibal
    replied
    Today, I finally feel rich.

Nothing changed financially. I'm reading some dire predictions about the future economy, climate, and world geopolitical situation, and realize I was probably going to be "fine" no matter what. I might be living somewhere else or earning less, but I'm probably going to be fine.

Leave a comment:

• F0017S0
    replied
    Came across this gem (yes, the source is kind of dubious, but the message is what matters): https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/l...im-rich-sy2021

Leave a comment:

• VentAlarm
    replied
    I just had a maid come to our house for the first time. She scrubbed all the toilets, mopped, dusted, changed the sheets and cleaned out the microwave and oven. It was $200 for the first time and $160 for each subsequent. She did this while I gave a lecture then played with my son.

For $320/mo, my wife and I are never going to be wash sheets/towels or scrub a toilet or shower again.

I feel incredibly rich. I just bought back time with my family and a cleaner home for what amounts to a rounding error. I am simultaneously happy that I pushed this off until several years into being an attending. We’ve done a nice job of delayed gratification, making each step still feel rich. This is under 2% of my take home and just improved my and just wife’s happiness.

Leave a comment:

• PhotonsRGR8
    replied
    Apparently we're pikers in comparison to Monaco and Switzerland but these are tiny countries with homogenous populations. I don't know the # equivalent in USD for their 1%.

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied
    Is top 1% in the US translate to top 1% in the world? While median in the US is definitely higher than most other countries, there are rich people in every country.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X