I don’t feel that rich.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by artemis View Post

And that means you are rich (in all the ways that REALLY count). In the end, isn't living a happy and fulfilling life what really matters?
    artemis
    Physician (Pathologist)
    artemis: Yes, you are correct that living a happy and fulfilling life is what matters. You also strike me as quite pragmatic and there is a correlation between happiness and money (up to a limit, yes, but the correlation does exist). From my perspective, I look at living a full adult life as a combination of the following three elements:

1. Who one marries.
    2. How many children are created from that marriage.
    3. The amount of money borrowed.

Once those three elements are set, the trajectory of one's adult life is pretty much set. In the (negative) extreme, if I borrow $10m for a business and procreate several children with someone who will eventually hoist anchor, shove off, that isn't a recipe for a happy and fulfilling life. So, I generalize my point above: there is a correlation between good decisions and a happy/fulfilling life.

Comment

• Simple pleasures:
      "Who is mans best friend, wife or dog?" Lock them in the trunk of your car for an hour and see which one is happy to see you when you let them out!

Wife was gone two days. Has nothing to do with the trunk. They got some type of latch now. The dog and I had a good time. Glad she’s back.

The point is, when you happy to see someone, it is appreciated and valued. Both the dog and wife are happy to see me. Can’t get much better.

Zero correlation to “rich”.

Comment

• My heart breaks for the innocent Afghani’s, especially women, right now.

I live in America. My family is safe. I am rich.

Comment

• Originally posted by ObgynMD View Post
          My heart breaks for the innocent Afghani’s, especially women, right now.

Ain’t that the truth. The atrocities that will occur to any woman who was in a family that was an ally to the US (or even accused of this) flies in the face anyone currently in politics considering themselves pro-woman.

People clung to the side of planes and fell to their death. That sounds awful, but is still likely a better death than they would have had if they had stayed.

Truly heartbreaking.

Comment

I also was tempted to call a family that had lost a son (brother). What could I say? I am so sorry this happened?

Sad turn of events.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post

I also was tempted to call a family that had lost a son (brother). What could I say? I am so sorry this happened?

Sad turn of events.
              Ugh.

Comment

Amen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post

Sad turn of events.
                  I came to terms awhile back that my family’s sacrifices and my brothers-in-arms ultimate sacrifices in Iraq were wasted. I internally felt pangs of jealousy for those who served in Afghanistan as that was the more “noble” conflict.

Today it is quite clear that the sacrifices of the military and those with loved ones who have served in the past twenty years have been for no greater good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Molar Mechanic View Post

I came to terms awhile back that my family’s sacrifices and my brothers-in-arms ultimate sacrifices in Iraq were wasted. I internally felt pangs of jealousy for those who served in Afghanistan as that was the more “noble” conflict.

Today it is quite clear that the sacrifices of the military and those with loved ones who have served in the past twenty years have been for no greater good.
                    Make no mistake, enormous good was delivered in spades. The fellow citizens, are greatly appreciative. Some get it and some don’t. One went back on vacation. Thank you for your service.
                    They say “Never forget”. Some never had a clue. Like not allowing a first responder or survivor to attend the 9/11 20th Anniversary Memorial.
                    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...-excluded.html

Thank you all for your services and sacrifices.
                    Some just don’t know any better. Most do.

Comment

• dude, I would have to agree that I don't feel "rich" either, but I think, not just for myself but also for others, main stream media has tainted our perception of what rich is. I'm 40 years old, and when I was growing up my previous vision of being "rich" was a Coolio Fantastic Voyage video where every dude is wearing gold chains, dancing, boozing up champagne with tons of sports cars with scantilly clad hot chicks coming out of the trunks. Or maybe the biggie smalls video of Juicy where his home crew is loungin in 25 bedroom mansions with 3-4 pools.

I mean, it doesn't have to be a rap video that could be the fake image of being rich, but you guys get the point. All of us have an image of rich that is fake, a fantasy, and we are brainwashed thinking more money will get us there, will attain us a nirvana of wonton excess just as long as we work hard and become doctors if we can't be superstar rappers.

You need to read Jonathan Clements "How to Think About Money" and change your perception of what money and rich means. A rich life means enjoying your job, having deep close relationships, and building memories, and money is only as good as if it can buy and enable you to attain these things.

I myself feel rich because I enjoy my job, love eating out and don't have to worry about the bill, have a hot wife who actually make 100k more than I do, have two kids that despite driving me crazy am building memories with, and a huge house that brings a ton a joy not because it's huge but my wife and kids build more memories in it. My $1.6mil in networth only brings me joy in that my wife and I will build more memories with that money in retirement. I'm truly rich, but not by the unlimited gold bling/hot cars/hot chicks/unlimited champagne rap video definition.

Would have been cool though to have maybe spent at least 10min in a the Fantastic Voyage video though . . .

Comment

• Worth the read: https://ofdollarsanddata.com/the-bes...ntage-in-life/

in particular the author’s reference to Warren Buffett’s comments on the “ovarian lottery” is spot on.

Comment

• I was talking with my FIL about financial goals. We were both talking about how our goals have changed. I think the goalposts moving is the primary issue with people not feeling rich.

This conversation started because we had to go to Walmart. I told him I remember a day in med school clear as day where I told my wife: I just want enough money to never have to go back to Walmart. My med student self couldn’t imagine me shrugging with my wife spends $200 on kids clothes without talking about it. Or paying someone to spray my backyard so we don’t have mosquitoes. Or buying a $4k couch. In college, I spent $160/mo on gas, food outside the dining hall, entertainment, clothes, travel, dates, gifts - everything. Now, I spent that on life insurance.

Comment

• Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post
                            I was talking with my FIL about financial goals. We were both talking about how our goals have changed. I think the goalposts moving is the primary issue with people not feeling rich.

This conversation started because we had to go to Walmart. I told him I remember a day in med school clear as day where I told my wife: I just want enough money to never have to go back to Walmart. My med student self couldn’t imagine me shrugging with my wife spends $200 on kids clothes without talking about it. Or paying someone to spray my backyard so we don’t have mosquitoes. Or buying a $4k couch. In college, I spent $160/mo on gas, food outside the dining hall, entertainment, clothes, travel, dates, gifts - everything. Now, I spent that on life insurance.
                            I love walmart!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tangler View Post
                              I love walmart!
                              I love Targe’t.The French store.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tangler View Post
                                I love walmart!
                                Is it the unstocked shelves, employees who won’t stop talking on their cellphones to help you, the 45 minutes to check out with 3 items and only two people in front of you in line or the mile you walk in from your car that makes you love it so much?

No lie, my wife had to go to a Walmart recently and she was going to get a drink, too. She picked one up and looked down only to see it was like 1/4 drunk.

Comment

Working...
                                X