I don’t feel that rich.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

I have the same attitude when it comes to accidents, dings and scrapes with cars. My wife, daughter and I have had many dents and a couple of accidents where we have spent quite a bit out of pocket or paid high deductibles. My standard answer is - it is only a piece of metal, easily replaceable and not a bone or limb injured or cut off that is truly life altering. We can always passively earn that money in a month but we can't regrow that limb.

That calms them down.
    TBH that is why I have no problem paying more for a new(er) vehicle, and a large one at that. Those that drive 15yr old honda civics with 250k miles can enjoy some financial bragging, but when you get hit by a drunk/idiot in an F150, your odds are infinitely better with height, weight and lots of airbags. I'll pay for that peace of mind for me and my family; have lost too many friends and family to drunk drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sampter View Post
      My family went to a friends house for a get together and my kids exclaimed "they are so rich, their house is huge".
      For years, my kids thought that people with a two story house were rich. Stairs *inside* the house! Wowza!

Comment

I don't feel rich because my spending is constrained in the sense I can't buy anything and everything I might want. But whose spending isn't? All I have to do is look at people like Johnny Depp, Michael Jackson, and a seeming endless legion of sports stars who have all managed to deplete fortunes of hundreds of millions of dollars to see that even vast fortunes aren't enough to fund endless desires. Better to learn to enjoy what I can actually afford (which, realistically, is more than 99.99% of people on this planet can afford). I may not feel rich, but I am certainly not poor!

Comment

Originally posted by mkintx View Post

For years, my kids thought that people with a two story house were rich. Stairs *inside* the house! Wowza!
          Growing up there was a kid with both front and back staircases in her house. Now that was rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post

Growing up there was a kid with both front and back staircases in her house. Now that was rich.
            Really rich is having one of those spiral staircases.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post

Really rich is having one of those spiral staircases.
              Gone with the Wind:

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-Industrial_spiral_staircase.png
Views:	948
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	285030
                $800.

Comment

Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post

#Defundthepolice
                  Or #defundthemanager
                  Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I think rich as in “The Millionaire Next Door” is very different from wealthy like a Saudi prince. Most of the MND rich are that way because they don’t spend a lot of money (this applies to most doctors, too). When you’re that kind of rich, spending like a Saudi prince is really not the point - or that much fun.
                    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Why I think it’s hard for people to feel rich- it’s hard for people to feel like they have enough because by nature we compare.

Take my son. He was satisfied with his three scoops of ice cream until he saw his dad had three (very slightly) bigger scoops. I mean, c’mon man! You’re THREE. You are lucky your parents are softies and giving you that much ice cream in the first place.

Substitute kid for adult, and ice-cream for money.

Comment

Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post

It actually was quite upsetting to get pickpocketed.

But... we believe in the concept that you can only control yourself, not others. As far as the behavior of other people, while you cannot control that behavior, you can control how you react.

So after this little incident, we worked on not being upset, or at least not for long. What is losing an easily replaceable iPhone in the scope of life. Not much....
                        Long story, but my wife lost her iPhone recently. It showed up at a house in a not so nice part of town. I drove by the house and spoke to the neighbor outside and when I asked him, “if you were me, would you go knock on the door?” He said “no”. I took him at his word and bought her a new phone the next day.

I just don’t understand what good a locked iPhone does since I put it in lost mode. I also tried getting the police involved, but they didn’t seem interested.

Comment

Originally posted by TXDoc21 View Post
                          I just don’t understand what good a locked iPhone does since I put it in lost mode.
                          Either they are hoping that 50% of the people won't remotely lock their phone or there are hackers in other countries who can unlock even a locked iPhone. If people can hack into Colonial pipeline and a major beef company, iPhone must be a piece of cake for them.

I also tried getting the police involved, but they didn’t seem interested.
                          I had a drunk driver who smashed through the front brick sign wall of my office building in the night and brought it down completely. Bricks and pieces of his truck / SUV were strewn all over the place along with transmission / engine oil. But like a Houdini he vanished along with his vehicle and the police were not interested. They gave a report to give to the insurance. Apparently it is illegal for a tow truck company to tow a vehicle if they believe it was involved an accident or the driver appeared drunk without contacting the police first but some unscrupulous person still did it.

If they did not care for a 10K damage, I am sure that they won't even blink for a 1K phone.

Comment

Originally posted by TXDoc21 View Post

Long story, but my wife lost her iPhone recently. It showed up at a house in a not so nice part of town. I drove by the house and spoke to the neighbor outside and when I asked him, “if you were me, would you go knock on the door?” He said “no”. I took him at his word and bought her a new phone the next day.

I just don’t understand what good a locked iPhone does since I put it in lost mode. I also tried getting the police involved, but they didn’t seem interested.
                            When the phone was stolen, we used find my iPhone. It was initially somewhere in the apartment building adjacent to the market where the theft occurred. We wiped the phone, set it to emit obnoxious sounds, and then reported the IMIE of the phone to render it permanently locked and useless. The phone was later located at a dumpster facility, thrown into the garbage. Hopefully the thief will be discouraged from further thefts if stolen phones are unusable.

Comment

Exactly. The remote wipe and kill imie has been a huge step forward in discouraging theft. Pretty Bricks don't get much money

Comment

Originally posted by CM View Post

Gone with the Wind:

FWIW I saw the original staircase in Richmond, Va as a kid. It was in a hotel. My aunt who lived there took me to see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X