Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tangler View Post
    I love walmart!
    It is the only place I can get my groceries, shoes, antidepressants, and a shotgun all in one stop!

Seriously though it really depends on the area. There are good and bad Walmarts and they reflect the employees they can hire in an area and the typical clientele.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

It is the only place I can get my groceries, shoes, antidepressants, and a shotgun all in one stop!

Seriously though it really depends on the area. There are good and bad Walmarts and they reflect the employees they can hire in an area and the typical clientele.
      My driver has never complained at all. I wait in the car, smooze in the parking lot.
      https://youtu.be/uwOCOm9Z0YE

Comment

• My WalMart has like 20+ Self checkout stations. Very rarely is there a line.

When I go on road trips I realize how grateful I am that I live in a state that doesn’t have a lottery. I can feel my blood temperature go up 30 degrees when all the schmucks in line ahead of me at the gas station are holding up the line because they want to spend $25 on the lucky 7 tickets. Invariably it is with cash, and they have to count change. And of course they have to ask for the attendant to go back and get them two packs of Camel Lights.
        Last edited by Lithium; 08-18-2021, 06:57 AM.
        “Work” is a four letter word for good reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lithium View Post
          My WalMart has like 20+ Self checkout stations. Very rarely is there a line.

When I go on road trips I realize how grateful I am that I live in a state that doesn’t have a lottery. I can feel my blood temperature go up 30 degrees when all the schmucks in line ahead of me at the gas station are holding up the line because they want to spend $25 on the lucky 7 tickets. Invariably it is with cash, and they have to count change. And of course they have to ask for the attendant to go back and get them two packs of Camel Lights.
          I know some states require lotto be paid for with cash so that you can’t use credit cards and go into debt for them. Why they don’t allow debit cards? Who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

I know some states require lotto be paid for with cash so that you can’t use credit cards and go into debt for them. Why they don’t allow debit cards? Who knows.
            That's the dumbest rule I've ever heard. Policy makers don't understand that money is fungible? Or is this some kind of PR crap it looks good?

Comment

• Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

As if wasting cash on lotto tickets doesn’t induce people to take on more debt for other expenses.

Comment

As if wasting cash on lotto tickets doesn’t induce people to take on more debt for other expenses.
                We’re talking about people who don’t know how to balance a budget..::

Comment

I guess it's one of those things that sounds good in theory and makes the proposer feel better about themselves when the reality is that it just don't matter one bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by F0017S0 View Post

I guess it's one of those things that sounds good in theory and makes the proposer feel better about themselves when the reality is that it just don't matter one bit.
                    I mean they may know exactly what they’re doing, but most voters aren’t the sharpest tools economically. They actually think all the money they spend on lottery tickets is going straight to the schools and doesn’t have any ripple effects on the rest of the state budget.

Comment

• The third response (by Nysoz) to the "Life Changing Amount of Money" poll I think gets to this.

After graduating residency I FELT like I was going to enter what is described in the "$10MM to $30M" bracket, but in reality I'm not even rich enough to be on the bracket at all. And I WON'T be, even by the time I get to retirement, despite all my savings and frugality.

I think I didn't understand the amount of money needed to afford those things; I naively thought all people making > $200k could do them after a couple of years. Nope. I just get to live a much more stable and mild-to-moderately nicer version of what people in sitcoms experience as middle class.
                      How much money would you need to win/inherit/find/steal in order for it to make a meaningful impact on your life.

Comment

• The only times I don’t feel rich is when I travel.. I feel like a poor schmuck in coach, though part of that is I’m often traveling with my family. At some point i need to just bite the bullet and go business/first.

Outside of that my lifestyle is the same as if I had 100m in the bank but I also admittedly spend more than I should (at least in comparison) with most on this board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sundance View Post
                          The only times I don’t feel rich is when I travel.. I feel like a poor schmuck in coach, though part of that is I’m often traveling with my family. At some point i need to just bite the bullet and go business/first.

Outside of that my lifestyle is the same as if I had 100m in the bank but I also admittedly spend more than I should (at least in comparison) with most on this board.
                          Gordon Ramsey said that he flies business/first with his wife and has his kids fly coach. Wants them to work their way up. So buy the business/first tickets and jam the kids in the rear with the gear.

Comment

• Missed the bulk of this thread, but commenting to say that it recently became clear that I can retire. Knowing that shifts my mindset from one of preferring to save in order to get to the finish line, to worrying less about spending. Now I know if I spend on an affordable luxury, it won’t affect my long term goals. One could argue that the same was true in the past, but now I feel much more free. Rich even, by a conservative definition!
                            My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

• The last time I went through a McDonald’s drive through, they asked me if I wanted to supersize my order, and I said “yes” without blinking an eye. Felt like a baller…

Comment

• Originally posted by pysibal View Post
                                The third response (by Nysoz) to the "Life Changing Amount of Money" poll I think gets to this.

After graduating residency I FELT like I was going to enter what is described in the "$10MM to $30M" bracket, but in reality I'm not even rich enough to be on the bracket at all. And I WON'T be, even by the time I get to retirement, despite all my savings and frugality.

I think I didn't understand the amount of money needed to afford those things; I naively thought all people making > $200k could do them after a couple of years. Nope. I just get to live a much more stable and mild-to-moderately nicer version of what people in sitcoms experience as middle class.
                                Most of the public think that doctors are like that. Fancy cars big expensive house and lavish vacations. The reality is most of those are spending everything and not saving much which requires working a full career to keep up that spending.

The responsible ones (like here on the forums) pay their future selves first, live frugally, and invest to let that compound interest start working as soon as they can, especially with our late start in life.

After a few years you can afford to splurge a bit from time to time and do those things, but not all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X