Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: The Unspoken Risks of NOT Retiring Early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: The Unspoken Risks of NOT Retiring Early

Yes, there are risks when retiring early, and people are quick to point them out when a person makes that ... Read more

Click here to view the article!
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Recently fished from midnight to 0600, kayak, atlantic ocean after a monster. caught a >40 inch fish as the sun was rising. Life is an adventure, meaningful work is important but doing cool stuff is magical too.

Comment

I agree with the section on work not loving you back.

Comment

Life is an adventure.

I am trying to be more positive and look forward with optimism and appreciation.

1. We live only so long, Time = precious resource. Don't waste it!

2. Meaningful work is important, but dose matters.

3. Work will not love you back. On my death bed I doubt I will wish I had done one more tough case in the middle of the night. Some good memories there but how much is enough? 20 years worth? 30? 40? Dose is cumulative. Anesthesia is a great job, but the lack of control regarding what case/ with what surgeon / when and how can take a toll over time. My brothers are surgeons......their situation = worse. (OK, need to stay positive here!)

4. Some adventures are ridiculously awesome and worth doing.

Catching a 40+ inch fish while watching the sunrise after being out all night in the spooky blackness.......that I just might remember on my deathbed!

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post
          Life is an adventure.
          1. We live only so long
          3. Work will not love you back. On my death bed I doubt I will wish I had done one more tough case in the middle of the night. Some good memories there but how much is enough? 20 years worth? 30? 40? Dose is cumulative
          4. Some adventures are ridiculously awesome and worth doing. Catching a 40+ inch fish while watching the sunrise after being out all night in the spooky blackness.......that I just might remember on my deathbed!
          That is amazing, I was thinking redfish (which 40 inch would giant) but I see stripped bass. I've only fished for those once about 20 years ago and it was a blast, I can only imagine doing it from a kayak. I love tarpon (hence Megalops) and have read some stories of guys jumping one from a kayak, that seems insane. Let me get started on my patients for the day while your sleeping off that fishing trip...

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post
            Life is an adventure.

I am trying to be more positive and look forward with optimism and appreciation.

1. We live only so long, Time = precious resource. Don't waste it!

3. Work will not love you back. On my death bed I doubt I will wish I had done one more tough case in the middle of the night. Some good memories there but how much is enough? 20 years worth? 30? 40? Dose is cumulative. Anesthesia is a great job, but the lack of control regarding what case/ with what surgeon / when and how can take a toll over time. My brothers are surgeons......their situation = worse. (OK, need to stay positive here!)

4. Some adventures are ridiculously awesome and worth doing.

Catching a 40+ inch fish while watching the sunrise after being out all night in the spooky blackness.......that I just might remember on my deathbed!
            Wait-- you were out on the ocean in a kayak in the middle of the night? I would have died from fear alone!

Comment

I found this article poignant and a little harrowing; it definitely made me think.

One challenge I continue to have is that I feel a sense or moral obligation to do good work with my time, to not simply pursue hedonic pleasures. This makes the paradox of choice (via FI) almost an existential crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by familydocPA View Post
                I found this article poignant and a little harrowing; it definitely made me think.

One challenge I continue to have is that I feel a sense or moral obligation to do good work with my time, to not simply pursue hedonic pleasures. This makes the paradox of choice (via FI) almost an existential crisis.
                Balance.

Comment

Originally posted by familydocPA View Post

As Tangler says, balance is the key. No doubt what you and most docs do improves and even saves lives, but there is no moral obligation to sacrifice your own health and happiness. FI gives you choices. You don’t have to retire from medicine, but you can, say, improve your schedule, or volunteer more in poor areas, etc. Tempus fugit, memento mori. Or, a non literal translation, the graveyards are full of indispensable people. No reason not to live well while serving your just cause.

Comment

Working...
                  X