He who becomes the slave of habit,
    who follows the same routes every day,
    who never changes pace,
    who does not risk and change the color of his clothes,
    who does not speak and does not experience,
    dies slowly.

He or she who shuns passion,
    who prefers black on white,
    dotting ones "it’s" rather than a bundle of emotions, the kind that make your eyes glimmer,
    that turn a yawn into a smile,
    that make the heart pound in the face of mistakes and feelings,
    dies slowly.

He or she who does not turn things topsy-turvy,
    who is unhappy at work,
    who does not risk certainty for uncertainty,
    to thus follow a dream,
    those who do not forego sound advice at least once in their lives,
    die slowly.

He who does not travel, who does not read,
    who does not listen to music,
    who does not find grace in himself,
    she who does not find grace in herself,
    dies slowly.

He who slowly destroys his own self-esteem,
    who does not allow himself to be helped,
    who spends days on end complaining about his own bad luck, about the rain that never stops,
    dies slowly.

He or she who abandon a project before starting it, who fail to ask questions on subjects he doesn't know, he or she who don't reply when they are asked something they do know,
    die slowly.

Let's try and avoid death in small doses,
    reminding oneself that being alive requires an effort far greater than the simple fact of breathing.

Only a burning patience will lead
    to the attainment of a splendid happiness.

Martha Medeiros

Comment

Nice poem. It (especially the first stanza) reminded me significantly of Tagore:

Gitanjali 35

BY RABINDRANATH TAGORE

Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;

Where knowledge is free;

Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;

Where words come out from the depth of truth;

Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;

Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;

Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought and action

Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.

Comment

Even though I have taken some trips on and off, it was not a thing in my schedule to do until 2007 when we went to Denver and Grand canyon and stayed in Flagstaff for a week. That, and also seeing a near retired colleague get a stroke that left him with hemianopia and millions in the bank, made my resolution to actively see the world before I ever end up like him. I had a bucket list before there was such a thing as bucket list.

We spent an large amount on a last minute trip to Peru the following year when the air fare was two times what it normally would have been. My frugal sense would have made me postpone it to a later date but since it was a group trip with friends I ponied up the money. What an amazing vacation in the Amazon jungle ( in a cabin that had diesel generators for electricity for a few hours each day and lights off at 8 PM followed by Howler monkeys howling and some night expeditions seeing huge tarantulas outside and even a jaguar roar). And an amazing train ride from Cusco to Aguas Calientes, the Machu Picchu base, celebrating Christmas there and the next day seeing a amazing Machu Pichu after a rain with mist and clouds. I was hooked.

Since then we have had at least one overseas trip a year ( except the last 2 years) and have spent 15-25K per trip. I don't care about the amounts. They look huge but years later you don't even know how much you spent but the memories still remain.

I just dislike the overpriced theme parks. One cruise to Bahamas was one too many for me. I am more of a land under my feet person.

Did I mention already that I live to travel.
        Last edited by Kamban; 06-08-2021, 07:37 PM.

Comment

We specifically budget $10k/year for our family of 6. That being said, I don't take everything that happens on the trip out of the travel budget (groceries, most eating out, and any shopping comes out of the normal buckets). Honestly, we can get a lot of out that right now. This year we are taking the kids to the Smokies twice, a week at a beach house on the Gulf Cost, a week at an all-inclusive in Jamaica for the parents, and a Blue Ridge Parkway vacation for the parents. The outdoorsy/driveable stuff is cheap.

I still plan to double the vacation budget in a few years. We want to do Disney and ski trips and those are going to be $$$, but well worth it once the kids all hit 5 years old.

Comment

While we don't have a set budget for vacations. Our March 2020 - March 2021 expenses were 25% less than a normal year, to which I guess about 20% of the 25 was probably from not taking any vacations. Probably roughly 15k per year on vacations (family of 4, no remaining debts)

If your financial house in relative order (which it likely is if your posting here) then I'd have no regrets going on 1 or 2 nice vacations.

If we don't spend the money on memories or the freedom to choose how we spend our time then what is the point.

Comment

I don’t budget for vacations. I just spend what I want to spend. Then again all debt is paid off, mortgage is 3400/mo and saving nearly 50% gross. I live for experiences and not objects. Wouldn’t call myself a minimalist yet, but I could become one someday.
              Covid 2020 my travel plummeted to 8K, the year prior it was 22K (single person). This year I’m hoping to be near 20K again if I can manage some international trips safely in the fall 🤞
              Last edited by eyecandy; 06-11-2021, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Family of 4. 2-3 International trips a year. 2-3 domestic trips a year. A smattering of additional long weekends away. We have averaged around $50-60K in travel expenses per year.

I agree with others that if you are adequately saving for retirement and your financial house is in order, then a healthy budget for traveling is perfectly fine. I cherish our family’s travel experiences more than most material possessions I own.

Comment

Originally posted by Eye3md View Post
                  I look at vacations as enjoying life experiences. Once I make sure all my retirement/investment accounts are funded adequately, I have no problem spending money on vacation
                  The flip side of that, often the best life experiences (especially for kids) and expense do not have a high correlation.

This is not to say that some of the better life experiences are not cheap. Just don't let tourist traps, amenities and expense be the metric of the best life experiences. My children's best childhood vacation memories are not the theme parks* and best resorts. They are the more modest trips with available activities.

*Of course, a couple requisite trips to the standard theme parks are required. Just try to think outside the box.

Comment

Are most of your expenses for 'travel' due to plane ticket cost and hotel? or are most of that money going to food and entertainment?

Comment

Originally posted by STATscans View Post
                      Are most of your expenses for 'travel' due to plane ticket cost and hotel? or are most of that money going to food and entertainment?
                      For my family, most of the expenses are flights (we fly first class) and the VRBO or hotel rooms (we tend to take other family members with us and pay for everything for them)

Comment

Originally posted by pmj78910 View Post
                        Family of 4. 2-3 International trips a year. 2-3 domestic trips a year. A smattering of additional long weekends away. We have averaged around $50-60K in travel expenses per year.

I agree with others that if you are adequately saving for retirement and your financial house is in order, then a healthy budget for traveling is perfectly fine. I cherish our family’s travel experiences more than most material possessions I own.
                        Exactly our experience.

We travel(ed) a lot, without kids when they were small, with kids when they were 8-20, and without kids now. Typically visited 8-10 countries per year. Several years we traveled with both sets of parents for a big family trip (that we paid for).
                        While I don't have a budget, I track our expenses very accurately. We rarely pay for airfare (points). We usually paid cash for accommodations as most of our travel took us to places without chain hotels. Over the last 10 yrs, our typical travel expense was $50k/yr, which translated to $250-500 per person per travel day.

An interesting note is that I never paid so much for travel than now that I travel for free. When we paid for airfare, and flew coach, traveling across the world for a week was a very big deal. Now that we are able to sleep on planes, flying for 15 hours is a relaxing way to catch up on latest movie releases and sleep for 10 hrs straight. Where and often you fly is not that relevant. So we do it a lot more (and spend more).

Comment

Working...
                        X