Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: Indulge and Enjoy Life Along The Way to FI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gamma Knives View Post

Perhaps rant was a poor word choice. I am not sure what "a certain way of thinking" means. But I apologize for the inflammatory descriptor.
    Thanks. My reference to a way of thinking was the attribution of racial animus in discussions of success factors just because race is invoked. I understand many on this forum will see our current societal state differently than I do, but I am unapologetic in my view that we have racialized debate in our society to the point people are uncomfortable with it for fear of giving offense, and it is to our detriment.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Ragman View Post
      Thanks. My reference to a way of thinking was the attribution of racial animus in discussions of success factors just because race is invoked. I understand many on this forum will see our current societal state differently than I do, but I am unapologetic in my view that we have racialized debate in our society to the point people are uncomfortable with it for fear of giving offense, and it is to our detriment.
      Race can certainly be a touchy subject. All too often (in both this subject and others) the most extreme views are attributed to the other side. There certainly are those who have a complete victim mentality with regards to race. In my experience that is less common viewpoint. But I still believe there is evidence race plays a role in 2021.

The reason I push back against the narrative that success is primarily based on choice is I worry it allows those of us who are successful to spurn those who are not. If their failure is their fault why should we feel the need to assist? Of course how to assist and the impact of such assistance is yet another can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma Knives View Post

Race can certainly be a touchy subject. All too often (in both this subject and others) the most extreme views are attributed to the other side. There certainly are those who have a complete victim mentality with regards to race. In my experience that is less common viewpoint. But I still believe there is evidence race plays a role in 2021.

The reason I push back against the narrative that success is primarily based on choice is I worry it allows those of us who are successful to spurn those who are not. If their failure is their fault why should we feel the need to assist? Of course how to assist and the impact of such assistance is yet another can of worms.
        I actually agree that it is not simply a matter of choice. But neither is it simply a matter of race, unless we infer race as the cause of socioeconomic disadvantages. Many do, but the evidence is weak. There are far more poor whites than poor Blacks, though I’ll concede the percentages by race skew to a higher percentage of Blacks being poor. But causes of poverty go beyond skin color and have to do with social norms (single parent households), education (poor public education), dangerous neighborhoods, drug use, and lack of local job opportunities. These factors pertain in West Baltimore as well as Appalachia.

Fortunately, in America it is surmountable, as you earlier data demonstrates (3 of 10 smart but poor kids make it to the top). Of course socially it would be good to help the others who have the talent make it, but just to return to my original point, none of this had anything to do with the author’s argument, which was to slow down and smell the roses on the path to FI. That advice applied to any of us as WCI or POF readers and had nothing to do with privilege.

Comment

Working...
        X