Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal branding and Side Hustle - website, youtube channel, life coaching

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Tim View Post
    "branding myself and start selling pre-med consulting services and life coaching type stuff."

    Just playing devil's advocate, no offense intended.
    Branding - good idea to start formulating a plan.
    Pre-med consulting services- experience is one real life pre-med experience.
    Life coaching - one year of residency (assume much more training and personal experience to be gained)

    I wonder what the value and program based upon training and experience you actually are selling. Anecdotally, Student doctor dot net has many of these types of forums and questions. I found my son offering advice on SDN as a high school sophomore! His older sister was exploring the med school application process taking the pre-med courses. Yes, I stopped it.

    You are offering "consulting" for which you want to sell your time. You are the solution based upon limited experience, but it is a solution in search of a "problem". How are you going to find people that have that "problem" and are willing to pay?
    There are a ton of "consultants" for pre-med. How is your pre-med or life coaching more valuable than my son's advice? No professional qualifications needed for the services you describe.

    I have one friend that runs an admissions coaching service for the top MBA programs. The difference is he has a top MBA and an actual service and network of connections with the top MBA schools and partners that each have graduated and a minimum of 10 years independent success.

    I have another friend that has a side gig (psychiatrist) that he and a top b school partner that provide C-suite team building 1 day programs.

    I clearly see the value to you, I suggest you focus on the value of the "consulting gig" you are selling. The time it takes to work through the details of life or the pre-med process in order to provide meaningful advice on an individual basis is significant. It will be tough to get people to pay for a chance to talk with you for an hour.

    More meat on your services is the primary point. MPMD gave very good advice. He has provided the "consulting services" in real life to real med-school applicants and residents. Including making career choices and how to transition to an attending position. Finish your residency seems to be sound advice.
    So a big piece of my value add/business idea, is that I was a non-trad student who decided to start looking into med school in my late 20s and with a bad college GPA, like <2.5. I was able to get admission into multiple US MD schools even with a sub 3.0 overall AMCAS GPA. I sat on the admissions committee on my medical school and know what they look for. I am also an award-winning writer, and have had multiple people ask for my help in revising essays, including current premeds and my current chief resident who just matched into his #1 Ivy fellowship. I also have several first author pubs before, during med school, and now in residency. Having started the pre-med journey at a later age, and competing with other non-trads as well as the regular 18-23 year old college crowd, and succeeded where many of them failed along the path for various reasons; I have seen and learned how to be a successful pre-medical student -- not least of which is the "soft side" of any successful endeavor, such as time management, mindset and belief systems, interpersonal communication, etc. This is where the 'life coaching' piece comes into play. My thinking is that if people waste thousands of dollars on non-helpful MCAT or board prep classes, they would be happy to spend a much smaller amount on someone who can analyze their specific situation, give them strategies, check in on them at regular intervals to assess their progress and sticking points, edit their essays, and so forth. This is my hypothesis, or my hope at least.

    My residency journey and fellowship journey always take precedence, of course!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by SandorClegane View Post

      Thanks, do you have any recommendations of such CPAs? Also do you have any insight into the liability issue - as a sole proprietor would I need to have liability insurance also? What about malpractice insurance like PainShrink above mentioned?
      Well, this is the point at which I should point you to the “WCI-approved” list and I will with the caveats that:
      1. Not all are CPAs
      2. Not all are vetted by me and
      3. I can personally recommend only 2 on the list. One in particular on the list is a ripoff and not a CPA
      Here’s the link.

      As for liability insurance, you should have appropriate malpractice, of course. For “life coaching”, I would look into setting up an LLC or talk with your insurance agent about an appropriate liability policy.
      Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

      Comment


      • #18
        Seems like a few potential pitfalls.

        First your site name / handle. I am not a lawyer or copyright expert but using JRR Martin's / HBO's character for your for profit business seems like it would run afoul or copyright.

        Using medical credentials to support non-licensed activities usually feels grey to me. I view my ability to practice medicine as my most valuable asset and treat it was kid gloves. I am not saying anything you are suggesting would necessarily impact your ability to practice but I suggest caution. Branding yourself doctor and then not giving medical advice seems to be a mixed message that could be a pitfall. It feels like you are saying: the lawyers tell me I need to you this is not medical advice :wink:. If you are giving medical advice saying it isn't may not cut it.

        If we are just talking pre-med / medicine admissions, I get the doctor branding. You can clearly state the branding is to emphasize you got in and are advising others on how to do what you did. Youtube videos or other social media productions should be safe as long as you are prudent with what you put out. (Honestly seem like low chance of taking off in a crowded market.)

        Individual life coaching (as others have pointed out) seems to be blurring the line particularly given you are going into psych. You even stated that you would have wanted to practice tele psychiatry as a PGY1 if your program didn't prohibit. That strikes me as reckless that you would consider practicing psych on your own before completing training.

        Best of luck in your endeavor. You are entering a crowded marketplace. You may have that je ne sais quoi that makes you stand out but I would suggest having backup plans as well.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Gamma Knives View Post
          Seems like a few potential pitfalls.

          First your site name / handle. I am not a lawyer or copyright expert but using JRR Martin's / HBO's character for your for profit business seems like it would run afoul or copyright.

          Using medical credentials to support non-licensed activities usually feels grey to me. I view my ability to practice medicine as my most valuable asset and treat it was kid gloves. I am not saying anything you are suggesting would necessarily impact your ability to practice but I suggest caution. Branding yourself doctor and then not giving medical advice seems to be a mixed message that could be a pitfall. It feels like you are saying: the lawyers tell me I need to you this is not medical advice :wink:. If you are giving medical advice saying it isn't may not cut it.

          If we are just talking pre-med / medicine admissions, I get the doctor branding. You can clearly state the branding is to emphasize you got in and are advising others on how to do what you did. Youtube videos or other social media productions should be safe as long as you are prudent with what you put out. (Honestly seem like low chance of taking off in a crowded market.)

          Individual life coaching (as others have pointed out) seems to be blurring the line particularly given you are going into psych. You even stated that you would have wanted to practice tele psychiatry as a PGY1 if your program didn't prohibit. That strikes me as reckless that you would consider practicing psych on your own before completing training.

          Best of luck in your endeavor. You are entering a crowded marketplace. You may have that je ne sais quoi that makes you stand out but I would suggest having backup plans as well.
          My website name wouldn't actually be sandorclegane.com..... it would be my real last name . com. Just for the record, I was suggesting that I would be open to telepsych as a PGY-2 after having passed Step 3 and done over 1.5 years of specific psychiatry residency.

          Appreciate the good luck wishes.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by SandorClegane View Post
            I do believe I have value to offer pre-meds, especially non-traditional pre-meds; though I concede the space is crowded.
            Hopefully your answer to most of them is 'don't'.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

              Hopefully your answer to most of them is 'don't'.
              One issue to be pondered. what are the fee arrangements if after you get a good handle on the client your response isL "you have virtually no chance"? Remember, it takes time to onboard/vet a client. Sunk costs. That is why some "consultants" give a free intro consultation. This gets to be dicey if the potential client feels like "you have the information, just answer the question. That is why physicians charge for an office visit.

              Second issue to be pondered is the use of your actual name. Fair chance you might want to use the name in a later actual psych practice. I would consider that not all comments on the internet are positive. Scrubbing a prior "branding" containing your actual name could make for a difficult transition to an actually medical site. At a minimum, consider a separation of the two potential ventures.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by SandorClegane View Post

                My website name wouldn't actually be sandorclegane.com..... it would be my real last name . com. Just for the record, I was suggesting that I would be open to telepsych as a PGY-2 after having passed Step 3 and done over 1.5 years of specific psychiatry residency.

                Appreciate the good luck wishes.
                I'm glad you clarified this, because I was definitely thinking that sandorclegane.com would be pretty far down there in terms of names you could use for this endeavor.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Tim View Post

                  One issue to be pondered. what are the fee arrangements if after you get a good handle on the client your response isL "you have virtually no chance"? Remember, it takes time to onboard/vet a client. Sunk costs. That is why some "consultants" give a free intro consultation. This gets to be dicey if the potential client feels like "you have the information, just answer the question. That is why physicians charge for an office visit.

                  Second issue to be pondered is the use of your actual name. Fair chance you might want to use the name in a later actual psych practice. I would consider that not all comments on the internet are positive. Scrubbing a prior "branding" containing your actual name could make for a difficult transition to an actually medical site. At a minimum, consider a separation of the two potential ventures.
                  Thank you for this great piece of advice!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X