New Ford Lightning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ford Lightning

I never wanted an electric car more than I do now.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

On top of being electric the GVWR is > 6,000, so it would probably qualify for section 179 deduction for my side hustle.

I have never owned an electric vehicle but an electric truck is actually even more practical than an electric car in my mind.

It sounds like a decent electric truck for people that want a electric truck that looks like a normal truck.

Practicality of it remains to be seen. Evs look sleek/funny because of aerodynamics trying to make the vehicle go as far as efficiently as possible for a set battery. Regular looking trucks don’t really meet that criteria.

So to go the same distance, the f150 has to have a bigger battery because it’s less efficient. Then if you’re carrying a load or towing, range can essentially get cut in half.

So I’m sure it’ll sell well and hope people buy them over ice f150s but as with all prototypes I want to see real world testing and use.

Comment

So far it has put the CyberTruck to shame. I’d be all in on an electric F-150.

Comment

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/20/2...-hummer-rivian

https://www.motor1.com/features/5083...er-comparison/

The cybertruck beats the electric F150 in every reported spec and is cheaper (if you don't count the EV rebate that Ford still qualifies for). The thing the F150 has going for it, is that it looks like a regular truck and the capability of vehicle to grid. The cybertruck is supposed to have 240V outlets so it may be possible to do it as well but no announcements yet.

But again, all these trucks are prototypes. So take everything each manufacturer says with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
          https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/20/2...-hummer-rivian

https://www.motor1.com/features/5083...er-comparison/

The cybertruck beats the electric F150 in every reported spec and is cheaper (if you don't count the EV rebate that Ford still qualifies for). The thing the F150 has going for it, is that it looks like a regular truck and the capability of vehicle to grid. The cybertruck is supposed to have 240V outlets so it may be possible to do it as well but no announcements yet.

But again, all these trucks are prototypes. So take everything each manufacturer says with a grain of salt.
          1.) The Lightning doesn't look like a 2nd grader drew it.

2.) Tesla is very well known for being a lot of talk so I wouldn't be surprised (and fully expect) Ford to beat Tesla in regards to being the first to major production.

3.) The F-150 can function like a truck with a bed which is what actual current truck owners will want.

4.) The F-150 is already the best selling automobile in the US which I consider very advantageous.

Comment

The question is, how far can you actually charge your boat or trailer on a single charge. Seems like that could really limit the practicality.

Comment

Most people buy their vehicles for what they need it for the most uncommon 1% of the time period so if this F-150 lightning can tow a boat for 200 MI it'll probably sell fine. If it can only go 50 miles I think people will stick with gasoline for now. People do not want to be inconvenienced and they want one simple thing to do everything they'll possibly ever need. This is why the Ford F-150 is the most common vehicle in america. Very rarely do people actually need a pickup truck that you could not accomplish with a two-door sedan.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

1.) The Lightning doesn't look like a 2nd grader drew it.

Cybertruck does look funny, no one argues with that fact.

2.) Tesla is very well known for being a lot of talk so I wouldn't be surprised (and fully expect) Ford to beat Tesla in regards to being the first to major production.

Tesla does talk a lot, and meets some time frames but misses on others. You may be right on this front especially because the Cybertruck has many new manufacturing techniques to work out the kinks. Once that part is figured out, then the simpler process should ramp easily and be produced much cheaper than any other vehicle. Only time will tell.

3.) The F-150 can function like a truck with a bed which is what actual current truck owners will want.

The Cybertruck has a longer bed than the F150, higher payload, higher towing capacity so far.

4.) The F-150 is already the best selling automobile in the US which I consider very advantageous.

Name brand and recognition does play a large role. But as Bmac asks, if the highest trim F150 that costs $90k can only get 150 miles of range when towing/fully loaded when a Cybertruck that costs $70k and get 250 miles of range, does brand name matter as much?
                Just need real world testing when production vehicles are all out.

Comment

I’m waiting for the electric Tundra, then I’m buying

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post
                    I’m waiting for the electric Tundra, then I’m buying
                    You will have to wait till 2028 or longer since they put out some FUD about regular Li-io batteries and stated that they are going straight to solid state batteries. There is no prototype of it in the automobile field.

Toyota did very well with their Prius hybrid but stopped electric innovation after that and placed their bets on hydrogen fuel, which has turned out to be a dud.

Comment

The Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid is a good compromise for those that don't want to go full electric due to the charging issues.

But if I had to pick which of the two above (Cybertruck or F-150) will sell more, most likely the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

You will have to wait till 2028 or longer since they put out some FUD about regular Li-io batteries and stated that they are going straight to solid state batteries. There is no prototype of it in the automobile field.

Toyota did very well with their Prius hybrid but stopped electric innovation after that and placed their bets on hydrogen fuel, which has turned out to be a dud.
                        May be a long term win. Europe is setting up a H2 infrastructure for trucks that Toyota is leveraging.

Comment

i predict this will sell like hotcakes.

f150 is best selling car in america.

the VAST majority of people who drive trucks don't tow or haul loads, even if they do i'm not convinced this won't still be better.

i remember when someone said to me "there is no way pickup owners are ever going to buy electric!"

well, if the EV is faster, more powerful, and easier to maintain then....

tesla has become almost the default dream car now, i mean even WCI bought one. (i keed, i keed)

i really noticed this when the iphone came out. if you had asked a bunch of people "do you want a touch screen computer in your pocket instead of your blackberry?" i think most would have said "************************ no." then you bring an undeniable, user friendly product to market. it's not "can i use this?" it's "i have to have this b/c it is easy in addition to being cool AF." seems to be tesla biz model for sure.

Comment

I think a lot of it is that people in general don’t like change. Even if it’s objectively better in most ways.

Once it becomes more mainstream and they experience it in their day to day life, they realize it is better and don’t go back.

A lot of new technologies go through this and go through the s curve of adoption.

There’s definitely going to be a lot more evs sold in the future, f150, cybertruck, or whatever else that comes out.

Im still not sold on hydrogen fuel cell yet as it’s still terribly inefficient. Once there’s infinite surplus of renewable energy then it would make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
                              I think a lot of it is that people in general don’t like change. Even if it’s objectively better in most ways.
                              Except most ways that people care about but we’d just be rehashing things at that point.

Comment

Working...
                              X