Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: Pursuing FIRE in a High Cost of Living Area: One Couple’s Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: Pursuing FIRE in a High Cost of Living Area: One Couple’s Experience

I took the easier path, reaching FI living and retiring in relatively low cost of living areas in the upper ... Read more

Click here to view the article!
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Anyone else envious of those insanely cheap property taxes and medical bills? My HD insurance requires $1,500 OOP and every year it’s painful to pay $400 monthly for a medication that used to cost $35. I dislike the whole HSA savings (but I do it) - the Canadian system is so much better.

Nice example of 29yo couple living within their means —they will do well. Should inspire med students/residents/fellows the benefits of frugal living standards early on.
    But I’ll speak from ghost of Christmas future 10 years later —$251 grocery bill per month won’t last. I spent over that a couple nights ago taking my parents out to dinner 😉 Good to live frugally while young

Comment

eyecandy, I agree with ya. The closer I get to retirement, and start planning for my family’s health insurance, the more I realize how screwed up our system is where your health insurance is so dependent on your job. I’ve never liked the idea of nationalized healthcare but it does have positives for those retiring early or without jobs

Comment

The question of what is going to happen in the future with health insurance and healthcare costs is the biggest issue/risk in early retirement imo. You can price out what it will cost for you now and calculate that you can afford to retire early *as long as healthcare costs just increase with inflation and don’t spiral even further out of control*. I envy people in other countries that have more assurance in this regard.

Comment

Working...
        X