Private School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private School

Someone talk me into or out of private school for my kids. Long story short, there's a private school in our area that is $10k a year. The pros of sending our kids are the seemingly amazing curriculum including language immersion, robotics, full STEAM curriculum and small class sizes. Cons are obviously the cost. We do live in an area that has reportedly good to great public schools but we're newer here and have little experience with them. We think it would be a great opportunity for the kids to have a unique curriculum but obviously not necessary. Thoughts?

I'm not going to talk you out of private school. I sent both of my children to private school throughout. One of the most important things you'll do is educate your children. Is $10k/yr too much if you feel that it's a superior education and/or they may be peers with a higher caliber students than if they went to the local government school? That's a personal decision.

Comment

Originally posted by klubs24 View Post
      Someone talk me into or out of private school for my kids. Long story short, there's a private school in our area that is $10k a year. The pros of sending our kids are the seemingly amazing curriculum including language immersion, robotics, full STEAM curriculum and small class sizes. Cons are obviously the cost. We do live in an area that has reportedly good to great public schools but we're newer here and have little experience with them. We think it would be a great opportunity for the kids to have a unique curriculum but obviously not necessary. Thoughts?
      crunch the numbers and see if you can really afford it. If you can and it's more important to you than other things you could be doing with that money, then do it.

Comment

Not all private schools are created equal.. Know their mission. Know their priorities and how they bend to parents -- Religion vs education vs country club silver spoons. -- All make a difference on matching up with your own expectations.

Any self-starting child will do well anywhere. If your child needs a little more attention, then private school does offer the clear benefit of ability to be more involved in the individual attention to your child.

Comment

10K/year is nothing for a high quality education`. You should do it assuming the public schools aren't actually better. In my area there are plenty of schools that charge that amount that are clearly not better than the very highly rated public schools.

Comment

How old and how many kids?

I am not anti private school but I am anti spending money you don't have to if there is a cheaper alternative that gets you 80% of the way there.

Comment

Agree with Lordosis. Unless the private school is substantially better than the public schools or your children have needs that would be significantly better served in a private setting (not common), I’d stay with public schools.

Comment

Hard pass for us...

Though I always tip my hat to parents doing what they think is best for their kids.

Plus, we all choose different pathways. We spend 25k+ a year on sports in order to give our kids the best opportunities possible.. which also ironically gives them their best chance to pick a school of their choice.

Comment

Is a full STEAM curriculum about downloading video games and playing them, i loved that class in high school, we'd just play SIM city.

Comment

Yes, send them to the private school. Yes, there is a price tag.

You get one shot at educating your children. Give them the best opportunity to succeed.

Newsflash - the school you attended (and remembered) as a child has changed.

Don't let your child flounder or waste their time in any school. It is a personal decision, but go with your gut instinct. The school your child attends does make a difference in their future success. Stop listening to the "noise" from other parents who just want to validate their own decisions.

529 funds can be used for K-12 education.

College is hard and requires previous academic preparation to succeed. Many have ability but will never graduate.

These are just my opinions.

Comment

Use hard, quantifiable data to determine if your public schools are great or not. I’ve found in our area that while the metrics say the schools are great many parents talk about how the schools suck. I’ve determined most of these people are privileged folks who don’t know how great they have it and don’t know what a truly bad public school is. They just complain. So ask around about the schools but if you are new to the area you also may not know the people that well either. This is why hard data is best to determine public school fit

Comment

We had 4 kids go through public school. We moved to an area where the schools were rated the highest. At the time, the school seemed good. But two things changed my mind. When my kids entered college , you could see real quickly the deficiencies in their education in regards to knowledge and how hard they learned to work and study.

The other issue, is that this year our local public school has been atrocious in the way they handled the pandemic and education. It was basically a freebie year for the teachers and kids. Other private schools found ways to teach effectively through, small groups, zoom and other educational avenues. The public school took an attitude of lets just take the year off. They would list course work for the kids each morning. No instructional or interactional teaching was provided. If this is the way they value education and teaching, I can now see why American is going down the drain educationally. You can blame covid, for the home schooling, but you cant blame covid for the lack of effort and teaching.

Comment

Relatively speaking from someone who works with many clients in private school and goes over budgeting, etc, this is quite reasonable. However, what really matters is how much better it is than the free pubic school(s) from which you can choose.
                          Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Very personal decision. For us it was really important to be in public schools so we arranged our lives to be somewhere where we had exactly the type of public schools we wanted. We moved three times in five years to end up where we wanted.

We've been happy with their education, and the diversity of their classmates and teammates, which would suffer in a private school setting. Their schools are very good. Not the über competitive almost private atmosphere pseudo public schools of some wealthy suburbs; just a good solid reasonable suburban public school district.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
                              We've been happy with their education, and the diversity of their classmates and teammates, which would suffer in a private school setting. Their schools are very good. Not the über competitive almost private atmosphere pseudo public schools of some wealthy suburbs; just a good solid reasonable suburban public school district.
                              Agree with this thinking. I view exposure to racial/ethnic and class diversity as part of the education. The goal of life has more to do with contentment and doing right by others than with formal education itself. Have met too many unhappy people who were the products of uber-competitive school environments, driven largely by the expectations of others.
                              “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

Working...
                              X