Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWeb
    replied
    On your iPhone through safari you can make an icon that is just on your phone that looks like an app. You click on it and it takes you directly to the forum or to the home page or whatever you want it to.  I just really struggle with whether to put it in my "Financial" folder or my "Medical" folder.

No need for an app if you do that.

Leave a comment:

• Hank
    replied
    I've used Tapatalk in the past and didn't care for it.  Obviously your mileage may vary.

Leave a comment:

• ChaseD702
    replied
    So from what I can see, TalpATalk is like an RSS feed for forums. I have “subscribed” to several of them, and I get simple notifications on my phone when someone responds to something I have posted, and can respond on there. It’s as easy as sending a text.

For me, I’m terrible about keeping up with forums so I often don’t visit certain ones but every few weeks/months. This makes keeping in communication and responding to a multitude of forums quick and easy. I’ve really only used it for the StudentDoctorNetwork forum, but so far so good. It would allow me to be much more active on a wider variety of forums, so I wonder how many others it may help connect as well.

Leave a comment:

• SWEng
    replied

I have also explored app creation for a very niche on-demand medical/educational service. It seems a lot of the companies are in India. Though they may be completely equip to make the first rendition of an app (can always transfer to a larger US company later for updates as you retain all coding rights), I don’t know enough about the local laws to know if a non-disclosure agreement holds much weight. Anyone have experience in this?

Those larger US companies most likely use some offshore resources and have some sort of NDA in place with them. I would say that an NDA usually does not hold much weight outside of developed world (US, EU,...), but that doesn't mean that every company out there will steal your ideas and your code. I've been working with the same offshore team in Europe for 15+years, but I personally know these people since we were coworkers before I moved to US.

Leave a comment:

• The White Coat Investor
    replied

I just found TapATalk (which I see someone mentioned earlier), but still no WCI forum on there. Any plans to add there? Not too familiar with it so far, but for the younger members this would be much easier than logging on to the browser forum each time.

I have also explored app creation for a very niche on-demand medical/educational service. It seems a lot of the companies are in India. Though they may be completely equip to make the first rendition of an app (can always transfer to a larger US company later for updates as you retain all coding rights), I don’t know enough about the local laws to know if a non-disclosure agreement holds much weight. Anyone have experience in this?

Not currently. Also not too familiar with it.

Leave a comment:

replied

Right? Tell me this is in the works.

Can’t have an empire without an app.

Considered it about 4 years ago. Cost was surprisingly expensive, between $50-100K. I couldn't figure out a way to recoup my investment there.

What would you like the app to do?

Leave a comment:

• jacoavlu
    replied

this would be much easier than logging on to the browser forum each time

what do you mean by this? I use chrome on iphone and don't have to login each time

Leave a comment:

• ChaseD702
    replied
    I just found TapATalk (which I see someone mentioned earlier), but still no WCI forum on there. Any plans to add there? Not too familiar with it so far, but for the younger members this would be much easier than logging on to the browser forum each time.

I have also explored app creation for a very niche on-demand medical/educational service. It seems a lot of the companies are in India. Though they may be completely equip to make the first rendition of an app (can always transfer to a larger US company later for updates as you retain all coding rights), I don't know enough about the local laws to know if a non-disclosure agreement holds much weight. Anyone have experience in this?

Leave a comment:

replied

The main issue is it is really expensive to build a nice app,
    Click to expand…

As a software engineer I would recommend migrating to mobile friendly forum engine instead of developing an app.

However, if you still want to develop an app I have access to less expensive software development resources ?

The tricky part is to have it be both mobile friendly and easily monetizable.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Yes, I've determined that applies to a lot in this space.

Leave a comment:

• Complete_newbie
    replied

I’ve looked into apps several times. The main issue is it is really expensive to build a nice app, and difficult to monetize it well enough to justify the expense.
    Click to expand…

About 2-3 months ago I had this idea to “usurp” finance for physician using a slick app. To be frank it will get alot of traffic. Unfortunately monetization is a problem + too much work ( I can self code but its ALOT of work to make a slick app – design + coding)

Click to expand…

Good luck!

lol not doing it. Did a thought experiment. Too much work, not much reward. Pass!

Leave a comment:

replied

I’m not skilled enough to make an app, and WCI makes enough to pay someone instead of using a volunteer.

I don’t think the entire site would need to be redesigned, but some changes I am sure.

It mostly would provide a single portal to better use the forum and find WCI recommended services. That is an indirect revenue generator.

Key is to get some grad students who will work cheap. ? Or take some competitive bids.

If I could figure out a way to monetize the forum sufficiently to justify an app, that would be great. I think I've finally broken even on it...maybe.

Leave a comment:

• SWEng
    replied

The main issue is it is really expensive to build a nice app,

As a software engineer I would recommend migrating to mobile friendly forum engine instead of developing an app.

However, if you still want to develop an app I have access to less expensive software development resources

Leave a comment:

replied

I’ve looked into apps several times. The main issue is it is really expensive to build a nice app, and difficult to monetize it well enough to justify the expense.
    Click to expand…

About 2-3 months ago I had this idea to “usurp” finance for physician using a slick app. To be frank it will get alot of traffic. Unfortunately monetization is a problem + too much work ( I can self code but its ALOT of work to make a slick app – design + coding)

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• RogueDadMD
    replied
    I'm not skilled enough to make an app, and WCI makes enough to pay someone instead of using a volunteer.

I don't think the entire site would need to be redesigned, but some changes I am sure.

It mostly would provide a single portal to better use the forum and find WCI recommended services. That is an indirect revenue generator.

Key is to get some grad students who will work cheap. Or take some competitive bids.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X