Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: Come On, Get Happy: Lessons from the World Happiness Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Latest POF Blog Post: Come On, Get Happy: Lessons from the World Happiness Report

Every March, the World Happiness Report is released, compiling and discussing data from the World Gallup Poll to help us ... Read more

Click here to view the article!
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Really?

Comment

Originally posted by Bev View Post
      Really?
      I have come to the theory that Bev is a secret cooperative of PoF, providing negative press with the aim of bumping the articles and prompting people to click on them and read them to see what the heckling is all about.

Comment

I tend to roll my eyes whenever I see the "happiest countries" and "happiness index" brought up.

Most of these happiness estimates are subjective and self reported. I have been to Finland and Switzerland. Finnish people are not at all happy. They have a constant frown on their face, don't smile back and look as if they are constipated. They consume a lot of alcohol and many travel to Sweden for cheaper booze. Swiss people are more concerned about making money. And all the Nordic countries have high rates of depression and are some of the top nations in antidepressants consumed per capita. Maybe we should emulate that.

What happened to Bhutan. At one time people was touting it as the happiest country. It is so poor but the king is wealthy. Rather than fix poverty, they decided to create the happiness factor to divert attention from the poverty. If you ask the common man, he would rather have a little more money and be lower in the happiness index scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post

I have come to the theory that Bev is a secret cooperative of PoF, providing negative press with the aim of bumping the articles and prompting people to click on them and read them to see what the heckling is all about.
          She succeeded in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post

If only I had thought of that.

Guess I didn't need to, after all. It's happening with or without my involvement!

For what it's worth, I really liked the way this post turned out, and there are some helpful insights in the article and the linked World Happiness Reports from the last few years. Maybe it was the Partridge Family reference in the title that turned Bev off.

Comment

For me as an Asian American, I can say my happiness went down for the past four years, and worsening the past few months. From micro-aggression, overt racial slurs, to physical threat of harm, I wonder if the data segregate different groups by race in the US the conclusion would be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
                I tend to roll my eyes whenever I see the "happiest countries" and "happiness index" brought up.

Most of these happiness estimates are subjective and self reported. I have been to Finland and Switzerland. Finnish people are not at all happy. They have a constant frown on their face, don't smile back and look as if they are constipated. They consume a lot of alcohol and many travel to Sweden for cheaper booze. Swiss people are more concerned about making money. And all the Nordic countries have high rates of depression and are some of the top nations in antidepressants consumed per capita. Maybe we should emulate that.

What happened to Bhutan. At one time people was touting it as the happiest country. It is so poor but the king is wealthy. Rather than fix poverty, they decided to create the happiness factor to divert attention from the poverty. If you ask the common man, he would rather have a little more money and be lower in the happiness index scale.
                Maybe they're happy because they take so many antidepressants.

Comment

I sometimes feel blue and worried about the future, but is this rational?
                  Recently seen lots of data for optimism.
                  Matt Ridley has a book called the rational optimist. + another on innovation.
                  Also recently read another book, diff author called: Fewer Richer Greener.
                  Not a perfect world /Life, but better than ever in the past and getting better with time.
                  The vaccine alone is fantastic and the innovative people and technology that made it astonishing.
                  The news/media is very negative (if it bleeds it leads), politics are increasingly divisive and people seem to want to complain, but this is a pretty amazing country and a pretty amazingly nice life the average rascal can expect.
                  I have so much to be grateful for.
                  We have first world problems.
                  My prediction is that it will only get better.
                  Last edited by Tangler; 04-01-2021, 02:23 AM.

Comment

“Happiness is the only logical pursuit “ MMM

Comment

Originally posted by CalMD View Post
                      For me as an Asian American, I can say my happiness went down for the past four years, and worsening the past few months. From micro-aggression, overt racial slurs, to physical threat of harm, I wonder if the data segregate different groups by race in the US the conclusion would be different.
                      For some reason, the number of hate crimes against Asian Americans has really soared within the last 12 months. Seems like the start of 2021 is bringing in even more. I’ve read the increase is as much as 120-150%. It is sad for this to be happening!

Comment

Originally posted by Eye3md View Post

For some reason
                        Serious?.....unknown reason.....

Comment

I’m trying to invoke the idea that rising hate crimes against AAPI are concerning and sad without turning this into a political discussion. So, instead of implying reasons, I intentionally left it as “for some reason...”

Comment

Since this is a happiness thread, I don't want to elaborate on reasons for hate crimes against Asians even though as an Asian American I know a few good reasons why this is occurring. To avoid any political issues, I will stick to perceived increased happiness by the Nordic people.

Comment

I haven't read the article yet. I'm of Nordic descendants but not sure I can claim increased happiness. Everything nowadays is so anxiety producing. Even things mentioned with good intention can be twisted into something far off from what was ever intended. I'm scared to have conversations anymore and find myself much more reluctant to talk with people in social settings. Not only that but the medical world itself is anxiety producing. With me being in the medical profession for over 20 years, you'd think I'd be accustomed to that by now, but I feel like I am handling it less well. Probably one of many reasons docs decide to leave medicine earlier than planned.

Now I gotta read the article.

Comment

Working...
                              X