Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STATscans View Post

Exactly.
    Some is physical, some is mental. Some is genetic, etc. Just make sure you attribute properly.

Comment

When you can't read a paper/book without holding it father away or taking off my glasses... that is when I felt old.

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingToFish View Post

Oh come on, now. While I certainly do not intend to practice medicine at 74, there still exists the rare bird that is genuinely passionate about medicine.
        Key word, rare, and their level of passion for medicine would be the least of my worries.

Comment

I know a few docs still practicing in their 70s. A few have simply lived beyond their means and will work til they die. The others just don't seem to have any other life outside of medicine. This one spine surgeon is around 70. He operates from early in the AM until 8-9:00 at night. The guy has to have made multiple millions. He doesn't look worn down either. He looks like you just invited him to the most wonderful party every time I see him. Its his life and he seems to truly love it. I'm sure his family enjoys the money (they live in a $6M home in a LCOL area) but I bet they would like to see him more.

Comment

This thread is a good reminder to enjoy my youth.

Thanks older guys and gals!

Comment

Originally posted by Eye3md View Post
              I know a few docs still practicing in their 70s. A few have simply lived beyond their means and will work til they die. The others just don't seem to have any other life outside of medicine. This one spine surgeon is around 70. He operates from early in the AM until 8-9:00 at night. The guy has to have made multiple millions. He doesn't look worn down either. He looks like you just invited him to the most wonderful party every time I see him. Its his life and he seems to truly love it. I'm sure his family enjoys the money (they live in a $6M home in a LCOL area) but I bet they would like to see him more.
              Reminds me of a joke:
              Where do you hide a $100 bill from an internal medicine doc? Under the bandage/dressing.

Where do you hide a $100 bill from a surgeon? In the chart.

Where do you hide a $100 bill from a spine surgeon?
              On his kids. (I would also accept “you can’t hide money from a spine surgeon”).

Comment

Max Power, that is a good one!

Comment

Originally posted by Eye3md View Post
                  Max Power, that is a good one!
                  What about an ophthalmologist? Hide it on the patient’s body? Or is that a radiologist?

Comment

What about an ophthalmologist? Hide it on the patient’s body? Or is that a radiologist?
                    Ha, either specialty most likely

Comment

How about food intake?

Are you all decreasing how much you eat as you get older? I know it seems harder each year to loose weight but I LOVE food. All sorts. And it is hard to cut down. I’m kinda used to eating whenever I want. 3 meals a day and some snack in between. Never counted calories.

Do I have to be a plant based eater? Errrr.... if I want to keep BMI below 23/24 with only 3 times of 30 minute jogging a week in my 50s?

Comment

Anyone still practicing medicine at 74 is no hero.
                        Isn't our nation's top infectious disease at 80 years of age who is on TV every day, still practicing since he received the vaccine because he does rounds every day. I know he is a divisive person regarding his pronouncements on the COVID-19 but he still has the job and practices medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post
                          I know. Ludicrous for a man my age. But what can you do?
                          Probably inspired by the ludicrous mode of your Tesla.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Isn't our nation's top infectious disease at 80 years of age who is on TV every day, still practicing since he received the vaccine because he does rounds every day. I know he is a divisive person regarding his pronouncements on the COVID-19 but he still has the job and practices medicine.
                            My comment was semi tongue in cheek but I'll reiterate that no hero practices medicine at 74.

Comment

How about food intake?

Are you all decreasing how much you eat as you get older? I know it seems harder each year to loose weight but I LOVE food. All sorts. And it is hard to cut down. I’m kinda used to eating whenever I want. 3 meals a day and some snack in between. Never counted calories.

Do I have to be a plant based eater? Errrr.... if I want to keep BMI below 23/24 with only 3 times of 30 minute jogging a week in my 50s?
                              Gotta listen to your stomach. Challenge yourself, are you hungry? Or just craving the taste of something?

I also love food, live to cook as well. But my appetite is way down from my 20s. Of course at the time I was running 40+ miles a week, so eating 7000+ calories a day was normal and necessary. In the last year I've been playing around with intermittent fasting and discovered I'm far less hungry than I thought I'd be. I quit eating at 9 pm. I don't eat again till 1 pm, except i have a dose of protein at 7 am, usually eggs/egg whites. I'm less strict on Saturdays and sometimes i cheat, but this has been a way for me to limit snacking when I'm not actually hungry, and it's not too difficult.

Comment

How about food intake?

Is there someone who doesn't love food in the western food environment? I certainly do. When I work 3-4x week, I do OMAD. Weight stable. Used to be a vegetarian, now I'm carnivorish. I eat candy or cookies if it's lying around at home but I won't buy it. BMI 21-21.5. Used to be 23.5-24 three years ago before I switched from veggie to meateater+IF. Started biking to work a year ago, and I gained one pound. I think it's extra leg muscle.

Comment

Working...
                                X