Do you fly coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you fly coach?

We flew from the East Coast to Hawaii and as many of you probably know it is a pretty long flight. We flew coach as it was the cheapest. The wife who is around 5 foot 5 is complaining that there was no room to move or leg room. But the economy plus or first class tickets are pretty steep. It was almost like twice the economy seat on United.

Do most of you who are frugal (which most WCI readers are) fly first class for long trips for the xtra room? Or do you just suffer and sit in the coach section?

Cheapest available. You can even try to select one of those seats next to the door with more leg room.

Comment

We always fly coach. We would prefer to be uncomfortable for a few hours in exchange for spending more on a nicer resort or more activities and adventures.

Comment

Never. I gave up on coach once we were FI. I’ll pay anything to not fly coach.

Comment

Business for anything over a few hours. And I look for a plane with a handicapped stall, the bathroom size reduction has gone beyond ridiculous on some planes.

Comment

My husband did enough business travel prior to Covid that he had “status” on the airline we use most. He had lots of free upgrades so I’ve flown business to Asia and Europe several times. With Covid the business travel has been on hiatus but it’s a fair trade—I’d rather have him home every night and fly economy. I would consider paying twice as much for international business (domestic business isn’t enough of a difference to warrant a price differential for me), but at least when I’ve looked it up the difference in price for US to Europe/Asia is at least 3-5x as much. I don’t see myself ever paying that difference but who knows. Maybe one of these days I’ll get into travel hacking. I don’t mind economy though. The worst plane ride I ever had was 5+ hours in the back of a packed C-130 on a hard seat with a bunch of sweaty Marines where the only bathroom was behind a curtain. After that economy doesn’t seem so bad.

Comment

We’re you in the forces?

I didn’t realize there was a ‘status’ thing with business flights? Sorta like hotel points? The more you stay the more free nights you get?

Originally posted by Anne View Post
              My husband did enough business travel prior to Covid that he had “status” on the airline we use most. He had lots of free upgrades so I’ve flown business to Asia and Europe several times. With Covid the business travel has been on hiatus but it’s a fair trade—I’d rather have him home every night and fly economy. I would consider paying twice as much for international business (domestic business isn’t enough of a difference to warrant a price differential for me), but at least when I’ve looked it up the difference in price for US to Europe/Asia is at least 3-5x as much. I don’t see myself ever paying that difference but who knows. Maybe one of these days I’ll get into travel hacking. I don’t mind economy though. The worst plane ride I ever had was 5+ hours in the back of a packed C-130 on a hard seat with a bunch of sweaty Marines where the only bathroom was behind a curtain. After that economy doesn’t seem so bad.

Comment

Yes I fly coach when I'm paying. This topic reminds me of the great Louis CK bit about people complaining on airplanes.

I've flown first class to/from Europe on points. It was pretty awesome. But not worth 8X the cost or whatever it is.

Comment

Budget. Cheapest but doesn’t allow a carry on bag.

Comment

Originally posted by STATscans View Post
                    We’re you in the forces?

I didn’t realize there was a ‘status’ thing with business flights? Sorta like hotel points? The more you stay the more free nights you get?

Yes, Navy

And yes, if you fly a lot with the same airline they give you free upgrades etc and treat you like royalty in general—when my husband would call with any sort of issue they fix it right away. Me, I’m on hold for 30 minutes and then they tell me so sad too bad. I most definitely get treated better flying with him than when I’m by myself. Maybe it’s because he’s better looking but I tell myself it’s the status.

Comment

Cheapest seat available

Comment

Economy plus for domestic. Business for international.

Comment

Cheapest. But the longest flight I've ever done was only 6 hours.

I think if I was doing more than 8 hours, I'd consider upgrading. But it's usually magnitudes more expensive.
                          $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

gulfstream

Comment

I have flown coach throughout my life, but did start to fly domestic first class during the pandemic when flying out for work assignments. It was an extra $100 or so per flight, and I always had a seat without anyone next to me.

In the future, my wife and I have decided that we will fly business class for International. We can afford it, and if we don't, our kids one day surely will. For local flights, we mostly fly Southwest as the best option, and I am not sure that I would continue to upgrade to first for 2-3 hour flights.

Comment

Working...
                              X