Diet and Excercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by STATscans View Post

very expensive to me. You have to buy the bike AND pay subscription??? I already own a road and mtn bike, do have a hard time paying for a bike and monthly fee. I can ride my bike for free.
    Money is fungible. Some spend it on houses, cars, collectibles, workout equipment, etc. We have a Peloton. I live in Florida. I dislike running immensely, even if it is much less expensive. I prefer the Peloton and my free weights in my garage gym. I can workout at home when I chose, and still be available to help care for my toddler. I didn’t much care for the CrossFit gym as the times didn’t work with my schedule, and I didn’t care for some of the exercises (snatches, Kettlebell swing should not go above shoulder height). I think some of the CrossFit exercises place folks at increased risk for injury. I’m much more likely to get injured riding a bike to the hospital or mountain biking than I am on a Peloton.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Most of the home gym equipment, most notably Peleton have adopted these strategies

1. Sell at cost but make your annual revenue with monthly subscriptions.
      2. Crimp its full potential that can be fully unlocked only if you continue paying for the subscription..
      3. Make the monthly subscription substantial, in line with gym memberships.
      4. If selling the equipment at cost does not result in brisk sales, double the price and make it a bit difficult to get and use social media to promote it. Make it all about lifestyle rather than building muscles or endurance or health. You will see the sales skyrocket.
      seems like 'subscription' is the wave of the future. Look at tv/entertainment - you can subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Apple TV etc. for a 'low cost' but if you start adding them all up... yeah...

Tesla full self driving (FSD) is going that way - monthly subscription.

Maybe everything in life will go in that direction.

If you own a paleton and join a gym - that starts adding up huh? From a financial POV, it isn't a big deal to drop $2 G and pay that $40 a month (with my current salary and saving, it wouldn't put a big dent), but mentally and fiscally, I just feel like that's costly and can't justify it. Just wondering who these people are who buy this stuff..

Comment

I just feel like that's costly and can't justify it. Just wondering who these people are who buy this stuff..

Lots of people in this forum have bought it. I love to bike outdoors rather than be cooped indoors and the trails here are free. But others like the convenience of indoors and a motivation that comes from a subscription.

Comment

Just wondering who these people are who buy this stuff..
          The people I know who are buying it are doing so on credit.

Most people cannot just plunk down 2k on a whim but they can sign up for a payment plan for $90 a month. Plus subscription fees. And a new seat I guess...

Peloton still makes their sale. And the person does not realize how much they just spent. This is no different then a car or a phone or a house. Just different amount of zeros.

Comment

• Lordosis is right. No different than car, phone or another gadget. It just depends what you value most.

I got my bike (not Peloton) from Costco at reasonable price i think with 1 year free membership. Once the membership expires i don't think i want to pay $40 monthly, i will just find alternative platform. The price i paid with the membership and features i think it is worth it for me so far. Just depends, do you like your new watch most or your exercise bike, or the phone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

A 2 grand bike has an uncomfortable seat?
              sure does

Comment

very expensive to me. You have to buy the bike AND pay subscription??? I already own a road and mtn bike, do have a hard time paying for a bike and monthly fee. I can ride my bike for free.
                It is and I agree. If you can choose to ride outside instead get a mtb. Unfortunately not everyone has that option. Don't expect to come out much cheaper though because quality road and mtb bikes can go way over 2k.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Most of the home gym equipment, most notably Peleton have adopted these strategies

1. Sell at cost but make your annual revenue with monthly subscriptions.
                  2. Crimp its full potential that can be fully unlocked only if you continue paying for the subscription..
                  3. Make the monthly subscription substantial, in line with gym memberships.
                  4. If selling the equipment at cost does not result in brisk sales, double the price and make it a bit difficult to get and use social media to promote it. Make it all about lifestyle rather than building muscles or endurance or health. You will see the sales skyrocket.
                  Agree, though gym memberships in my area are well over $40 per month.

Comment

• Originally posted by endo4jc View Post

Money is fungible. Some spend it on houses, cars, collectibles, workout equipment, etc. We have a Peloton. I live in Florida. I dislike running immensely, even if it is much less expensive. I prefer the Peloton and my free weights in my garage gym. I can workout at home when I chose, and still be available to help care for my toddler. I didn’t much care for the CrossFit gym as the times didn’t work with my schedule, and I didn’t care for some of the exercises (snatches, Kettlebell swing should not go above shoulder height). I think some of the CrossFit exercises place folks at increased risk for injury. I’m much more likely to get injured riding a bike to the hospital or mountain biking than I am on a Peloton.
                    True Mtb courses can be absolutely insane and extremely dangerous for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

The people I know who are buying it are doing so on credit.

Most people cannot just plunk down 2k on a whim but they can sign up for a payment plan for $90 a month. Plus subscription fees. And a new seat I guess...

Peloton still makes their sale. And the person does not realize how much they just spent. This is no different then a car or a phone or a house. Just different amount of zeros.
                      Like anything else, if you cant pay cash you cant afford it.

Comment

• 1) Mostly vegetarian/vegan. Although I have started including fish in my diet again up to once weekly. Mostly legumes, nuts, etc for protein.
                        2) I was always a cardio junky. However, the last year, I really started getting into weights. I actually now REALLY like lifting. I'll typically do arms 2 times weekly (chest/back, and arms/shoulders). I NEED to do better with leg day, but I HATE leg day. I try to get in cardio as well.
                        3) Yes.
                        4) No. I enjoy red wine, but typically just on weekends.
                        5) No.
                        6) I have been slacking more on exercise than I would have liked lately. This is because I have enjoyed sleeping (AM workout person). However, I want to get back into more of a consistent routine.
                        7) I think it's easier when you have the resources financially to be healthier, but it still doesn't determine behavior.

Piggy-backing on the peloton discussion, we got on last year pre-COVID, and I LOVE it. I like the instructors, I like that I can do anything from a 5 minute workout to a 90+ minute workout, and there are SO many things to choose from. I mostly have to workout from home, as my husband's schedule has him out of the house by 5am, and our kids are young enough that I can't leave them at home. Prior to getting the peloton, I was using a different bike with the app. However, the peloton itself is a much better bike than our other bike, so it is worth it to me.

I do enjoy running more outdoors, but we've had a very trusty treadmill over the last 10 years that I will use if I have to.

Comment

• Rower costs 900 bucks for a top of the line one that will last you your entire life (literally), no subscription and burns more calories/time. Pelotons seem cool just very pricey but hey if it gets people to be active.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panscan View Post
                            Rower costs 900 bucks for a top of the line one that will last you your entire life (literally), no subscription and burns more calories/time. Pelotons seem cool just very pricey but hey if it gets people to be active.
                            The concept 2 rower is on my list for a future addition to my garage gym. I built a pull-up bar and modular deadlift platform. Got a treadmill for about $130. Keep the peloton indoors. The monthly subscription does help keep me motivated to use it and not let it collect dust! My CrossFit membership was $135 a month.

Comment

The concept 2 rower is on my list for a future addition to my garage gym. I built a pull-up bar and modular deadlift platform. Got a treadmill for about $130. Keep the peloton indoors. The monthly subscription does help keep me motivated to use it and not let it collect dust! My CrossFit membership was $135 a month.

that is a nice looking garage for sure

Comment

That's a nice gym. I'm jealous.

Comment

Working...
                                X