Diet and Excercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pierre View Post

What are you using to track HR and mile splits? I have a polar hr monitor that is about a decade old that I’ve been thinking of replacing
    I have a Garmin forerunner and recently borrowed my brother in law's chest strap .. but it's wildly inaccurate. So now I'm back to using the Garmin itself and when it's strapped higher on my forearm it seems pretty accurate, i checked many times during runs and it was very close. Less accurate when worn on my wrist.

Comment

• Originally posted by STATscans View Post
      Anyone see this documentary?

https://gamechangersmovie.com

It really pushes for vegan diet and all the benefits. The film profiles famous athletes who saw great improvement by going vegan. But to me sample size seems too small.
      If this was applied to wide scale population, could they find the same thing?
      Let the diet wars begin:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jClsLOuQ2DE

I think if you switch from the standard american diet and go wpbd, you're going to get improvement. If you're eating a lot of grain based foods because you've been told that methane from cows are worse than cars for the environment, I think you're being sold a bill of goods.

I think regenerative grazing restores soil. As opposed to monocropping for future beyond burgers.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI
      Problem is that it can't be corporately scaled from a laptop by some high end university dropout.

Comment

• Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
        This is a personal update for burritos and Pierre but I've been trying Maffetone's method of aerobic training and my 7 mile splits this morning were:

Heart rate totally consistent 129-134

After just one month with this method my last 2-3 miles have sped up by 10-20 seconds per mile. I feel like it's working!

I'm currently running 20 miles per week and lifting 3-4 with a modified starting strength program, squat 2x/wk rather than 3 and go for higher squat reps 8-9 before moving up weight. My goal is a 21:45 5k and a 300 lb deadlift in the same week end of summer.
        Impressive. Keep up the good work!

Comment

• 1) 180g of protein each day with about 60-80g of that coming from meats/seafood with every dinner.
          2) 5 hours weightlifting weekly. 2-3 hours HIIT weekly
          3) Yes, BMI ~22, body fat 9-10%
          4) No, avg ~3-7/week usually bourbon or gin
          5) No
          6) Yes, my day starts and ends with exercise. Always training to be a better version of myself.
          7) I don’t think so.

Comment

• 1) I usually don’t eat meat for breakfast, really enjoying fake-meat sausage patties the fiancé purchases. I typically always have meat with lunch and dinner, though.
            2) I aim for 3 one-hour long weightlifting sessions per week + a few long walks.
            3) Yes
            4) Average at around 2 beers/day. Never binge. No liquor. Pretty shocked that after twelve pages that I’m the first to report in the affirmative to this one. Not sure if this is representative of the general physician population.
            5) Tobacco is incredibly disgusting.
            6) I’ve never been satisfied with my diet and exercise and I consider that as a positive. I think it’s important to constantly strive to improve in these areas.
            7) Yes, wealthy people, on average, tend to be healthier from my experience.

Comment

It really pushes for vegan diet and all the benefits. The film profiles famous athletes who saw great improvement by going vegan. But to me sample size seems too small.
              Maybe famous professional athletes are more likely to select a vegan diet? Then they promote it and us in the proletariat buy in.

Comment

• Originally posted by pierre View Post

What are you using to track HR and mile splits? I have a polar hr monitor that is about a decade old that I’ve been thinking of replacing
                I bought a Wahoo HR chest monitor (Dicks sporting) and use it with app to track HR and find it pretty accurate. I borrowed friend's fit bit wrist monitor and it couldn't monitor my HR accurately with activity (tennis, etc).

Comment

• 1. weigh yourself every day
                  2. avoid sugar (read the labels and see the "hidden sugar")
                  3. eat fruits and vegetables - prewash and put in the frig- easier to grab
                  4. take the stairs at every opportunity - except when carrying heavy items
                  5. pick the parking spot that makes you walk more
                  6. pack your lunch/snacks every day
                  7. figure out when you get the hungriest and have a bag of cut up veggies/washed fruit ready to grab (I usually keep a cooler in the car with veggies to munch on at the end of the day as I am driving home)
                  8. avoid the lounges with tempting snacks
                  9. try to walk for 15 minutes (outside preferably) during lunch
                  10.keep small hand weights in your office to use at least three times a day

Comment

I've been WFPB for about 4 years now. Used to eat anything in front of me. I made the switch for my health (confirmed familial hypercholesterolemia) and I wanted to avoid long term medications. It's work great for me, to each their own though.

The Single night release of Game Changers in theater was about 45min longer than the Netflix version (Which I haven't been able to find anywhere).

Other resource if interested (not including cookbooks stuff): these are off top of my head

Documentary - Forks Over Knives
                    Books - The China Study, How Not To Die, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, The Cheese Trap, Proteinaholic.... and so many more
                    Website - Nutritionfacts.org

I know nutrition can be a hot topic, but after a couple weeks of adjusting (mostly to preparing all my own food) I'll never go back.

Just like finance I understand there are differing views

Comment

• Originally posted by wfpbFI View Post

I've been WFPB for about 4 years now. Used to eat anything in front of me. I made the switch for my health (confirmed familial hypercholesterolemia) and I wanted to avoid long term medications. It's work great for me, to each their own though.

The Single night release of Game Changers in theater was about 45min longer than the Netflix version (Which I haven't been able to find anywhere).

Other resource if interested (not including cookbooks stuff): these are off top of my head

Documentary - Forks Over Knives
                      Books - The China Study, How Not To Die, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, The Cheese Trap, Proteinaholic.... and so many more
                      Website - Nutritionfacts.org

I know nutrition can be a hot topic, but after a couple weeks of adjusting (mostly to preparing all my own food) I'll never go back.

Just like finance I understand there are differing views
                      What are your thoughts on the dentist, Weston Price and his findings about how western foods are pathological to dental heath, and hence all health?

Comment

• Originally posted by burritos View Post

What are your thoughts on the dentist, Weston Price and his findings about how western foods are pathological to dental heath, and hence all health?
                        I personally think the Price diet is a bit hokey, but that is my opinion and I'm sure people think I'm nuts for only eating whole grains, whole vegetables and whole fruits. My weakness is craft beer and an occasional bourbon, otherwise I'd only drink water and occasional tea.

I do agree with the idea that processed foods are both generally "bad" for your dental/oral health and general health. And yes, then standard western/American diet is horrible for more than your teeth.

I hardly bring up diet in person, most patients accept sugar is bad but less are open to anything beyond that.

Comment

• Originally posted by wfpbFI View Post

I personally think the Price diet is a bit hokey, but that is my opinion and I'm sure people think I'm nuts for only eating whole grains, whole vegetables and whole fruits. My weakness is craft beer and an occasional bourbon, otherwise I'd only drink water and occasional tea.

I do agree with the idea that processed foods are both generally "bad" for your dental/oral health and general health. And yes, then standard western/American diet is horrible for more than your teeth.

I hardly bring up diet in person, most patients accept sugar is bad but less are open to anything beyond that.
                          I find metabolic health very interesting, but I agree most people don’t want to hear it. As you’ve mentioned, anything is better than the SAD. But maybe it goes:

WFA(animal)B > WFPB > > SAD.

if you find something that you like and can stick to is the most important. I’ve had vegetables and meat be the majority of my diet at different times, currently it’s meat, which I prefer.

I heard a guy on podcast recently talking about how he cured his eczema and other skin issues with a vegan diet. But as his diet evolved he thought he solved his problems in spite of the vegan diet. Sometimes it’s more about what you are not eating, rather than what you are replacing it with.

Give animal based a try and see how you feel... if you want

Comment

• People get very polarized about animal vs plant based. It would make sense if we evolved in a way that some people in any group would feel better/be more drawn to/fare better on a predominantly animal diet, some would fare better on predominantly plant diet, and some (perhaps the majority) would fare better on a mixed diet. Just like circadian rhythms, if everyone in a group has the same preferences that doesn’t fare as well for the continuation of the group at large. When modern day humans discover that they are someone who does best on one end or the other of the dietary spectrum, it’s as life changing for them as it is for a night owl who has always been forced to wake up at 5 am to live/sleep on their own schedule. They feel so much better on a vegan or meat heavy diet and so assume that this is the way and then gravitate to whichever body of research confirms their innate bias. Some things aren’t good for anyone but there are a wide variety of diets that are healthy, and different people are better suited to some diets than others.

Comment

• Between diet and exercise, DIET seems to be a bigger player.

Comment

Between diet and exercise, DIET seems to be a bigger player.
                                I would 100% agree with this. I have tracked my calories off and on for years with MyFitnessPal. Looking good naked is 80% diet and 20% exercise, in my experience. I could be exercising 2 hours a day but if I am eating like crap, that six-pack won't show. On the flip side, I could completely forego exercise but if my diet is on point, I can get a six-pack to return within a couple months.

Comment

Working...
                                X