Diet and Excercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet and Excercise

We all know we should eat better and exercise. But are you doing it as prescribed?

I know most on here are tuned into finances and probably will retire wealthy.

But just curious about health issues. Are you focus on it as you are with your finances?

1) Do you have meat with every meal? Or do you have ‘meat less’ meals a few times a week? Ignore if you are vegan/veggie.
    2) Do you do 30 minutes or more of exercise 3 times a week? Cardio or weight.
    3) Are you in the ‘normal’ BMI range.
    4) Do you have more than 2 ETOH drinks per day (average out).
    5) Do you smoke? Hopefully this will be a no.
    6) are you happy with where you are with diet and exercise or do you wish you were better?
    7) Are wealthier folks healthier?

Last edited by STATscans; 02-09-2021, 07:47 PM.

1) (mostly) converting to plant based, mainly to try to work on #3.
    2) way more, all cardio. Never liked weights, but may try to find a sustainable routine in the next few months.
    3) Not quite. Need to drop another 10 pounds, which I can hopefully do by Easter.
    4/5) Hard no
    6) At the moment yes. Ask me 6-12 months from now. 2020 was pretty bad.
    7) Guessing yes. The contra positive is undoubtedly true anyway (poor folks are unhealthier). The question is, is there a ceiling at which the correlation of wealth and health plateaus (like income and happiness)? It’s most likely an asymptotic relationship.

Comment

1) Not always, but most meals have some meat. I eat way more for breakfast than I should in general, but bacon is my Achilles heel.
      2) Yes, almost always. I try and lift weights 6 times per week and run 3 miles twice a week.
      3) No. Last time I weighed myself my BMI was just above 27. I’ve been overweight to some degree basically since residency. But I’ve lost about 18 pounds over the last year, and have a goal to lose about 20 more, but I’m progressing slowly. Also since I’m lifting weights a lot, I’m pretty sure my weight isn’t dropping as quickly since I’m adding muscle mass.
      4) No. Don’t drink and never have.
      5) No. I don’t smoke and never will.
      6) Not entirely. Hence my goal to lose another 20 pounds. I enjoy eating too much, and since at my age you can’t outrun a bad diet, here I am.
      7) Wealthy people are healthier, in my experience. It takes some money to buy healthy foods, and to have time to exercise.

Comment

1. Meat every meal would be ideal to me but that doesn't happen. We still have a few meals a week without meat. My wife is a fantastic cook and I can't cook (but I do take care of all the cleaning) so I'm at her mercy with regards to meals. She does a good job of mixing in all kinds of protein. That's a long ways from where I used to be where dinner would be me browning a pound of ground beef and then eating it with ketchup. That's not to say I still don't do that if she's out of town.

2. Yes and both although my running has trailed off a bit as I cancelled our gym membership and bought a bunch of home gym stuff but no treadmill/cardio equipment. It's too cold to run outside at the current moment but I typically try to get in about 60 miles a month with runs anywhere from 3-6 miles.

3. Yes.

4. No. I used to have more than my fair share but only drink a few beers maybe once or twice a month at most. I think that is mostly due to COVID because I rarely will drink unless we're around other people. I've never been one who would drink alone.

5. Never. Can't stand the smell. I like the smell of cigars better but, again, don't smoke them.

6. I'm happy with where I'm at. I'm in my 30s now so don't necessarily focus on being the strongest I can be but I try to be better than I was the day before.

7. No but they have the means to make it easier to be healthy.

Comment

1) Been pescatarian since 1995.

2) Started running 3rd year of med school (1988); currently exercise 5-6 days per week, 30-60 min per session, mostly running or Peloton, some strength and yoga.

3) Normal BMI (22)

4) Average less than 2 (probably 1-1.5)

5) Nope.

6) Mostly. Wish my joints were in better condition so I could run faster and longer like I did when I was younger.

7) Mostly so. Working in Aspen, I noticed that there were hardly any overweight people. Most were quite thin. When you have time and money, you can take better care of yourself.

Comment

1. mostly veggies, some fish. I love sushi but since covid take out sushi just isn't the same as sitting at the sushi bar
            2. also started running in med school b/c most efficient way to burn calories. Yes easily get in minimum 3 hrs exercise per week and closer to 12 during ski season
            3. BMI 20 prior to Covid. Now 21 --because I have a sweet tooth
            4. average 4 glasses wine per week
            5. hard no
            6. mostly yes. except when I get off the running wagon d/t injury - amazing how a short or long run helps with my mental health. no better anti-depressant/anxiolytic than exercise
            7. most definitely
            Last edited by eyecandy; 02-09-2021, 09:52 PM.

Comment

1) Do you have meat with every meal? A hard intentional yes(1 to 2 meals a day).
              2) Do you do 30 minutes or more of exercise 3 times a week? 1-2 hrs of cycling 4-6/wk. Climbing 1-2x/week.
              3) Are you in the ‘normal’ BMI range. 21
              4) Do you have more than 2 ETOH drinks per day (average out). 1-3/week.
              5) Do you smoke? No
              6) are you happy with where you are with diet and exercise or do you wish you were better?Yes and yes.
              7) Are wealthier folks healthier? Same habit mindset tools is effective to achieve both.

Comment

1. Most meals. Unintentionally some days are meat free. But maybe 1-3 days a month only.

2. I'm on & off with this. Some weeks at a time I walk 30 minutes a day. Then I won't do anything for a few weeks. Used to do weights. Not very interested anymore. It's useful being strong. But it's boring.

3. Nope. Borderline obese technically. My "normal BMI" PMD says all his blood work is worse than mine.

4. No. Before Covid, I'd have 1-3 weekends per year of "heavy" drinking, usually for a wedding. Other than that, maybe 2-4 drinks a year. Since August 2019, I've had maybe 4 drinks.

5. Last cigarette was in 2014. Was a social smoker since middle school.

6. Wish I was better.

7. Hmm... I dunno. "I can afford to be fat" vs "I can afford to be healthy".
                $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

1) Do you have meat with every meal? Or do you have ‘meat less’ meals a few times a week? Ignore if you are vegan/veggie.
                  We probably only have meat at dinner like twice a week? Never for breakfast or lunch.
                  Been running since middle school. I run 4.5 miles 5 days a week. Plus lots of walking. We walk every where! I will get back to my strength training classes post covid.
                  Yep. I think I went over a bmi of 25 at the end of my pregnancies though.
                  4)
                  Do you have more than 2 ETOH drinks per day (average out).
                  Didn't start drinking until 3 years ago. I drink 2/week.
                  Never.
                  6) are you happy with where you are with diet and exercise or do you wish you were better?
                  Yes I'm happy. I'm thankful that I have always loved to exercise and find it easy to eat a reasonable diet. I could never go without sugar, carbs, dairy, gluten or whatever. Sounds awful to me.
                  I don't know but it takes money to buy healthy food and to have time to exercise.

Comment

1. Meat with dinner only, and not every dinner.
                    2. I exercise pretty much every day. If I don’t, I feel like crap, so it’s easy.
                    3. BMI just over 25, but have more muscle mass, so I give myself a break there.
                    4. No, drinking alcohol makes me feel like crap the next day, so I don’t drink very often (notice a trend? If something makes me feel like crap, I tend not to do it)
                    5. Have never smoked, not even once. Never saw the appeal in it.
                    6. Yes, happy with both.
                    7. Yes, unfortunately I think that being less well off financially makes it more difficult to be healthy. Healthcare and healthy foods cost money, and it’s hard to find time to exercise if you’re a single mom working 40-50 hours a week at a minimum wage job and then coming home to take care of your kids.

Comment

1. few times a week at dinner only
                      2. 5 times a week , combination of bike , run, lift
                      3. yes
                      4. no , a few on weekends , but still below average
                      5. no, but since pot is legal now , I am thinking of taking up a bad habbit
                      6. I still think I eat too much junk food
                      7. yes, with a higher income, you have the availability for better food choices and probably more free time to exercise. I think people that are motivated in one area of life tend to be more motivated in multiple areas of life.

Comment

1. Vegetarian since college. Occasional piece of fish if eating out. Protein from tofu.
                        2. Exercise daily encouraged by my apple watch. Currently doing an exercise challenge involving 54 minutes of exercise per day. Do yoga, lift weights, walk.
                        3. BMI 19.
                        4. One beer per day.
                        5. Never smoked.
                        6. Happy with both.
                        7. Yes I buy almost no frozen or canned foods. Fresh fruit, vegetables are expensive.

Comment

Animal protein most meals, not uncommonly canned herring from TJ or sardines from Costco or egg whites and olive oil. Try to minimize red meat.

Run up to 4 miles or lift or both 6-7 days per week. Also ski 1-2 x per week in winter, hike/snowshoe often. Played indoor soccer pre covid.

BMI always 25 because of the weight lifting. I run a 22 min 5k and resting pulse 45 so I think I'm ok, but I have high morning blood sugars (despite low sugars all day long and a normal OGTT and A1C) and started metformin recently just as a trial.

No tobacco. I drink maybe 2-3 drinks a month, I'm a lightweight and often just drink 1/4 of a beer and throw out the rest. I enjoy the flavor of good beer and wine and an old fashioned or classic Mexican margarita, I just find the first 3-4 sips are the best. A bottle of wine lasts me a month or longer. Coravin is a help.

I fantasize about a sub 20 5k but would probably have to completely give up weight training and lose 20 pounds and be a stick so I guess that's out. I'm stronger than I've ever been and still do a lot of sprinting (track club, track workouts, and soccer) but I have started to see the inexorable slowing of age. My teenage daughter can outrun me for the 200 and 400, but I'm still about even with her on the 100. I'd need specific sprinting coaching to get materially faster at my age.

Wealth = health but the relationship is not all about what money can buy you. I'm just going to leave it there to not derail the thread.

Comment

Very intriguing that most responses have been “very little meat” and “adequate exercise” and “low to almost no etoh”. These dont require much $$&. In fact they seem to be money savers.

Comment

Originally posted by STATscans View Post

4) Do you have more than 2 ETOH drinks per day (average out).
                              1. Vegetarian. Eggs once in a month, or sometimes longer.

2. Used to gain weight, especially around the waist, which I knew is going t kill me sooner than I wanted. Now we have a German Shepard that we have to take for walks every day. He forces us to walk 4 miles a day, except when it is pouring rain.

3. I think I have gotten my BMI in the normal range.

4. Very very rarely G&T or single malt. Mostly red wine and not more than twice a week, 2 glass max. I can go for weeks without any wine.

5. Never smoked a single cigarette or weed in my life.

6. I would like to do a bit more intense cardo occasionally and lift weights once or twice a week but I don't think it will happen. If I keep doing what I am doing, I should be happy.

7. As a group the wealthier can afford to eat healthier foods and less fast food but still a significant number eat poorly because for their workload. I think this forum is skewed to people who save a ton and also are a bit fanatical about their health.

Comment

Working...
                              X