Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: Top 7 Uses for Bitcoin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: Top 7 Uses for Bitcoin

Offering an honest reality check on what bitcoin is and isn't useful for and why people actually own this cryptocurrency.

The post Top 7 Uses for Bitcoin appeared first on The White Coat Investor - Investing & Personal Finance for Doctors.

Click here to view the article!
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

I love the comments so far. Let me summarize: you are not telling people to buy bitcoin while smart folks who understand it are buying, so you are clearly a biased idiot.

Interesting idea about the katana. I have an antique sword that I guess could substitute, but I generally recommend a tomahawk.

I enjoyed this article. I wanted to buy BTC to speculate but couldn't get coinbase to work at the time...too bad, I would have had a paper gain of 23k (who knows if I would have sold today).

Comment

Right now I use bitcoin as a hedge. It's a very small % of my portfolio.

I am very much looking forward to this book, as I hope he addresses bitcoin within it:

Safe Haven: Investing for Financial Storms Hardcover – October 12, 2021

by Mark Spitznagel (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/Safe-Haven-In.../dp/1119401798

Comment

Many of the points could be said for the US dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by WCInovice View Post
          Right now I use bitcoin as a hedge. It's a very small % of my portfolio.

I am very much looking forward to this book, as I hope he addresses bitcoin within it:

Safe Haven: Investing for Financial Storms Hardcover – October 12, 2021

by Mark Spitznagel (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/Safe-Haven-In.../dp/1119401798
          A hedge against what?

That is what a lot of people say when they put money into alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
            Many of the points could be said for the US dollar.
            Funny. It'd be uncouth to say "My bank account has x dollars", but you can kind of get away with saying I have "X tesla shares or X bitcoins".

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

A hedge against what?

That is what a lot of people say when they put money into alternatives.
              Index funds, inflation, money printer going off, black swans, things we can't even think of.

I'm like 95% WCI/Jack Bogle all in....but I read a few Taleb books and started thinking..."what if......"

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1...258560?lang=en

Comment

Index funds, inflation, money printer going off, black swans, things we can't even think of.

I'm like 95% WCI/Jack Bogle all in....but I read a few Taleb books and started thinking..."what if......"

I suffer through his holier-than-though writing for nuggets of usefulness. My professional skillset, avocational hobbies, and a supply of food and water is my cover for a black swan. I have always tried to come up with ways for my investing to be anti-fragile, but I can never figure it out aside from what I just mentioned.

Fun to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post

I suffer through his holier-than-though writing for nuggets of usefulness. My professional skillset, avocational hobbies, and a supply of food and water is my cover for a black swan. I have always tried to come up with ways for my investing to be anti-fragile, but I can never figure it out aside from what I just mentioned.

Fun to consider.
                  You sound like me.

Outside of getting into Universa, it's hard to know how to integrate some of his thoughts into just a regular joe portfolio. That's why I'm hoping Spitznagel's book might shed some light.

Comment

So a hedge against everything.

Is Bitcoin a good hedge for those things?

Are there other investments that would be better? RE, Gold, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

So a hedge against everything.

Is Bitcoin a good hedge for those things?

Are there other investments that would be better? RE, Gold, etc?
                      I don’t know. I’m still learning. There are way smarter people than me on all this.

Im mostly VTSAX, some private equity real estate, and small bitcoin.

I think my returns would be best with just VTSAX. I like to tell myself some diversification helps though.

I do know a lot of people I find very smart (and were early/correct on COVID), think there is a role for bitcoin moving forward. Naval, Balajis, Taleb, et al. If you separate the fan boys from the thought leaders I think there’s substance there.

Comment

I don’t know. I’m still learning. There are way smarter people than me on all this.

Im mostly VTSAX, some private equity real estate, and small bitcoin.

I think my returns would be best with just VTSAX. I like to tell myself some diversification helps though.

I do know a lot of people I find very smart (and were early/correct on COVID), think there is a role for bitcoin moving forward. Naval, Balajis, Taleb, et al. If you separate the fan boys from the thought leaders I think there’s substance there.
                        Sounds to me like your Bitcoin position is more of a small percentage speculation. But regardless, it is not a hedge in a literal sense that it goes up or holds value when stocks or other traditional investments crash. It is fine to keep a small amount in alternative investments, including Bitcoin. It’s fun. Just don’t kid yourself.

Comment

Working...
                        X