Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    https://m.facebook.com/auroraboreali...508613%2F&_rdr

YOLO, seems like a nice relaxing vacation! WCI has shared some climbing pics. Any other extreme fans?
    Here's my wife at Zuma Beach. Not Utah, Red Rock(NV) or Yosemite, but did manage to spot a few dolphins.

Comment

Originally posted by Shant View Post
      Did we get proof of life after WCI's ride today? My only thought watching those videos at this point in my life is NO NO NO NO NO!
      “That's not a trail, it's a via ferrata. Look at the cabling on the right side. I'd do it as a via ferrata, but not as a mountain bike ride! I do have something kind of similar planned for the morning though:”
      I googled YouTube for via Ferrata. The guide says to hold the cabling, don’t lean into the mountain. Leaning gives poor traction and you might lose your footing! Riding a bike is insane!

Comment

Originally posted by Shant View Post
        Did we get proof of life after WCI's ride today? My only thought watching those videos at this point in my life is NO NO NO NO NO!
        I'm pretty sore, but I definitely survived. Didn't break the bike either. Only two endos. Really funny too that they were on relatively easy sections. I was pretty proud of how I did on the hard stuff, but probably still walked 10 obstacles at some point during the day. Not bad for 28 miles.
        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post

I'm pretty sore, but I definitely survived. Didn't break the bike either. Only two endos. Really funny too that they were on relatively easy sections. I was pretty proud of how I did on the hard stuff, but probably still walked 10 obstacles at some point during the day. Not bad for 28 miles.
          Do you use 27.5 or 29 inch wheels? Through casual conversation yesterday, I just found out my 26's are near obsolete and my 3 ring crankset cassette has definitely gone the way of the dinosaurs. I'm kind of wary of dropping 3k for a new bike, but sounds like my bike is equivalent to a motorola razr.

Comment

Wow, and I thought I was brave for doing the Half Dome. My chest feels tight just watching the video. I am rubbish at bikes!

Comment

Originally posted by TheQuietOne View Post
              Wow, and I thought I was brave for doing the Half Dome. My chest feels tight just watching the video. I am rubbish at bikes!
              The cables at the top are exciting especially if you go face down. The glove pile at the bottom is kind of nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post

Do you use 27.5 or 29 inch wheels? Through casual conversation yesterday, I just found out my 26's are near obsolete and my 3 ring crankset cassette has definitely gone the way of the dinosaurs. I'm kind of wary of dropping 3k for a new bike, but sounds like my bike is equivalent to a motorola razr.
                I have 29s. Frankly, a 2 ring crankset is now a dinosaur. I'm the only one still using one in my group on my "old" 2015.

You don't get much mountain bike for $3K these days. I think the top number on my latest ride was closer to $14K. That carbon fiber stuff isn't cheap. Pretty amazing what they can do/survive though.
                Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post

I have 29s. Frankly, a 2 ring crankset is now a dinosaur. I'm the only one still using one in my group on my "old" 2015.

You don't get much mountain bike for $3K these days. I think the top number on my latest ride was closer to $14K. That carbon fiber stuff isn't cheap. Pretty amazing what they can do/survive though.
                  Yeah, that's what I concluded from my recent conversation with my new MTBing partner. Though I was able to stay in the saddle and climb the steep hill section in my 2004 fred bike that he was unable to climb in his 1 ring crankset Yeti. Dang it, I see a high priced purchase in my near future. Now I'm feeling anxious. Thanks for the confirmation.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I concluded from my recent conversation with my new MTBing partner. Though I was able to stay in the saddle and climb the steep hill section in my 2004 fred bike that he was unable to climb in his 1 ring crankset Yeti. Dang it, I see a high priced purchase in my near future. Now I'm feeling anxious. Thanks for the confirmation.
                    You can still get a good MTB for less than 4K, I still love my Cannondale bad habit, had it for a couple of years. It’s aluminum, but I honestly don’t think most people need or will really notice if they have carbon vs aluminum. I beat the crap out of it, ride it several days a week, and other than normal wear and tear haven’t had any issues with it.

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

You can still get a good MTB for less than 4K, I still love my Cannondale bad habit, had it for a couple of years. It’s aluminum, but I honestly don’t think most people need or will really notice if they have carbon vs aluminum. I beat the crap out of it, ride it several days a week, and other than normal wear and tear haven’t had any issues with it.
                      How old is it? 2018? Whatever I get even if it approximates 3k, it’ll light years ahead of
                      what I have. But then I know I’m being cheap for no good reason other than for the sake of being cheap.It’s a cognitive obstacle I will have to get over. But then I’ll have upgrade my road bike.

Comment

How old is it? 2018? Whatever I get even if it approximates 3k, it’ll light years ahead of
                        what I have. But then I know I’m being cheap for no good reason other than for the sake of being cheap.It’s a cognitive obstacle I will have to get over. But then I’ll have upgrade my road bike.
                        It’s a 2019, got it at the beginning of last year. I don’t remember the exact price, but it was around 3k, and well worth it. Definitely get full suspension vs a hard tail, especially if you’re doing a lot of riding in rock gardens and bumpy trails, your back will thank you!

Comment

Apologies for a “downer”. Saw a post that involved a physician, a casual ride in the park and disability. Be careful, no one is invincible
                          and carry LTDI. Bad news, be warned.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/nei...s-15758954.php

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            Apologies for a “downer”. Saw a post that involved a physician, a casual ride in the park and disability. Be careful, no one is invincible
                            and carry LTDI. Bad news, be warned.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/nei...s-15758954.php
                            Yeah, I was talking to my buddy who was telling me how one of his neighbors(who was a physician) got sucked under a truck and was killed. Make sure you have life insuance with that LTDI.

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

There seems to be a void in the dual suspension 2k price range. Seems like the free market could produce something at that price point. Have you ever heard of polygon bikes? It’s Indonesian and has been a popular value play for aussies for the last 8 years. They started selling to the US last year. I figure if it is good for aussies probably good enough for me.

https://www.bikesonline.com/2021-pol...MaAvXqEALw_wcB

Comment

Working...
                              X