Company to establish a basic will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company to establish a basic will

Resident physician with a new kid at home. We don't have many assets at this point but was interested in setting up a will to handle affairs in the event of my death. Looking for something basic that is inexpensive but is a legal document and was looking for suggestions of possible resources and other thoughts. I have heard of LegalZoom but that is about it. Any suggestions? How about a living will?

Nolo.  My library has multiple editions, with software.  They have everything that you might need, POA/HCP/death instructions/etc.  You can download the software and fill it out and print it.  I had the folks in the med staff office witness it and notarize it.  Basically, the entire process was free.

That said, you should probably get a revocable trust, but it is more work and money.  It has been on my To-do list for about 5 years now....  Pathetic on my part.

Comment

I think Legal Zoom is fine for a basic "I love you" will for a resident without assets. You mostly just need to name someone to take the kid and someone to manage the money.
      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I am a 5th year resident with 3 kids. My wife and I decided to use Nolo. It cost $33 on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Willmaker-Plus-2017-Software/dp/1413323103/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500950200&sr=8-1&keywords=nolo+willmaker

45 minutes after install we had our will printed and ready to go. We did take time to list some assets like our minivan and willed them to the people who would be taking care of the kids.

I agree with "G" that the software can help you fill out other documents as well.

Nolo.  My library has multiple editions, with software.  They have everything that you might need, POA/HCP/death instructions/etc.  You can download the software and fill it out and print it.  I had the folks in the med staff office witness it and notarize it.  Basically, the entire process was free.

That said, you should probably get a revocable trust, but it is more work and money.  It has been on my To-do list for about 5 years now….  Pathetic on my part.

Best of luck.

Comment

If you're at a large university, check with HR on options you may have.  Some have legal for cheap on things like this.

Comment

Working...
          X