What side hustles do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What side hustles do you have?

In addition to moonlighting on the side, I'm looking for other ways to augment my income while in fellowship. Anyone here who has done medical transcription part-time from home before? Any other ideas?

I can't imagine transcription pays enough to be worthwhile for a physician. If you're a fellow who is moonlighting, I would think you're busy enough. Soon, you'll make real money. 10 hours of transcribing income can be earned in under an hour of doctoring after fellowship.

To answer the question, I started a blog.  

-PoF

Comment

Kidneyboy,

Are you a nephrologist ?

How about Duber: Hemodialysis on wheels on demand (with a slick app)

Start as a man with a machine.

You heard it here first.

Comment

Agree with POF, cant imagine it pays well and isnt mind numbingly boring. You're also likely to be bested by an app or AI. I have a rental property thus far, but always thinking of something.

Comment

Agree with above regarding transcription. I did that years ago while in college as my parent's neighbor was looking for someone to help out with her job during the summer. This was before there were smartphones and apps to be able to do it (we actually got physical cassette tapes back then). I remember it paying OK for a summer job in college that I could do part time with my other normal job, but I wasn't able to find similar jobs near my college since I did not have any connections to the physician offices there and people were starting to contract out to groups that could do it cheaply. I also did youth sport refereeing around that time and recall it was a bit lower in pay per hour of my time than refereeing games.

Comment

Kidneyboy,

Are you a nephrologist ?

How about Duber: Hemodialysis on wheels on demand (with a slick app)

Start as a man with a machine.

You heard it here first.

HOWDY:  Hemodialysis On Wheels Direct to You!

Comment

To the OP:  Teach/instruct a little (e.g. ATLS).  The random survey which comes across email (enough to buy an 18 year old Macallan or two each year).  Several little side projects, none of which have turned a profit (yet).  Rental prop.

Comment

My side hustles:

Medical Director for a national company

Expert witness and related consulting

Surveys

Selling stuff on eBay

Comment

Oh, I have a side hustle!

http://thehappyphilosopher.com/

Oh, wait...you mean one that makes money.

Never mind.

:P

Comment

I go back and forth between donating plasma.  Hey, it's tax free, within biking distance, and honestly, it's about the only way I can force myself to read my mind-numbing journals.

The surveys get on my nerves.  Almost invariably get disqualified after answering five minutes of screening questions for no compensation.
                    I sometimes have trouble reading private messages on the forum. I can also be contacted at [email protected]

Comment

I go back and forth between donating plasma.  Hey, it’s tax free, within biking distance, and honestly, it’s about the only way I can force myself to read my mind-numbing journals.

The surveys get on my nerves.  Almost invariably get disqualified after answering five minutes of screening questions for no compensation.

Plasma?  Interesting!

Comment

I go back and forth between donating plasma.  Hey, it’s tax free, within biking distance, and honestly, it’s about the only way I can force myself to read my mind-numbing journals.

Click to expand…

Plasma?  Interesting!

$65 for 3 hours of "work."  Obviously that isn't a fortune, but 2 of those hours are spent reading stuff I otherwise can't get motivated to read, because I think I'm getting paid to do it.

Only issue is difficulty returning pages with a large bore needle in my median antecubital.
                        I sometimes have trouble reading private messages on the forum. I can also be contacted at [email protected]

Comment

Click to expand…

Plasma?  Interesting!

I donated plasma in college. No way I'd do it if I had a medical license in hand.

But I agree with those whispering "Be patient young padawan." The key to building wealth as a physician is what you do the first couple of years out of training, not what you do in training.
                          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

The surveys get on my nerves. Almost invariably get disqualified after answering five minutes of screening questions for no compensation.

Thank goodness I learned in the early 2000's that telephone and internet surveys get what they want in those so called "qualifying questions" before they kick you out. Prior to that in the 1990's they allowed you to complete the surveys and paid you, though they might not invite you back. Now they have so many people trying for it and they have found that a sucker born every minute.

Now, whether it is $50 or $250 per survey I don't take the bait. The internet ones go straight to trash / spam. The telephone ones are answered by my MA who says " the doctor does not do any surveys, thank you" and disconnects the phone.

Comment

I'm not sure your specialty but if you're a fellow you won't get any better side hustle than moonlighting. Maybe as a hospitalist or in urgent care.

Comment

Working...
                              X