Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: Covid-19 and Physician Burnout: How I Turned My Plank Into A Runway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Latest WCI Blog Post: Covid-19 and Physician Burnout: How I Turned My Plank Into A Runway

How are you coping with burnout during these unprecedented times? Today's guest shares his story and how he's redefining his relationship with medicine.

The post Covid-19 and Physician Burnout: How I Turned My Plank Into A Runway appeared first on The White Coat Investor - Investing & Personal Finance for Doctors.

Click here to view the article!
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Interesting read. I think the underlying message is that now, more than ever, it really pays to be living frugally, saving appropriately, and addressing burnout before it starts. I certainly was thankful for having the extra savings needed to weather some of the financial uncertainty of the last 5-6 months. I can't imagine how much more stressful the whole ordeal would have been if I were still in my previous burnt out position with little savings, too much debt, and spending out of control.

If there's two things I've learned from this year's ordeal it's that first and foremost, we as humans have a problem and it is we aren't treating the earth with the respect it deserves and bad things like covid are going to continue to happen until we do. And second, it's that it's time to be even more extreme with the financial "prepping." The next time around could be way worse. I spend a good portion of every day thinking about how I can be better prepared for the next pandemic or natural disaster that will cripple society. Wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to work at all? My family and I could just homestead and stay away from all the insanity (all of my free time has now been devoted to learning to grow, store, and preserve my own food on our small farm). Having a paid off home is my other top priority at this point. I'm working extra shifts right now with the goal of socking away enough cash in my taxable account to be able to rid us of the mortgage if the need ever arises. I'll keep plugging away as best I can. Having these specific goals in mind really helps avoid burnout in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by hightower View Post
      Interesting read. I think the underlying message is that now, more than ever, it really pays to be living frugally, saving appropriately, and addressing burnout before it starts. I certainly was thankful for having the extra savings needed to weather some of the financial uncertainty of the last 5-6 months. I can't imagine how much more stressful the whole ordeal would have been if I were still in my previous burnt out position with little savings, too much debt, and spending out of control.

If there's two things I've learned from this year's ordeal it's that first and foremost, we as humans have a problem and it is we aren't treating the earth with the respect it deserves and bad things like covid are going to continue to happen until we do. And second, it's that it's time to be even more extreme with the financial "prepping." The next time around could be way worse. I spend a good portion of every day thinking about how I can be better prepared for the next pandemic or natural disaster that will cripple society. Wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to work at all? My family and I could just homestead and stay away from all the insanity (all of my free time has now been devoted to learning to grow, store, and preserve my own food on our small farm). Having a paid off home is my other top priority at this point. I'm working extra shifts right now with the goal of socking away enough cash in my taxable account to be able to rid us of the mortgage if the need ever arises. I'll keep plugging away as best I can. Having these specific goals in mind really helps avoid burnout in my experience.
      While I completely agree with the sentiment that we need to be better stewards of the planet, I guess I don't really see the connection between COVID and environmentalism?

Comment

Originally posted by Vottomatic View Post

While I completely agree with the sentiment that we need to be better stewards of the planet, I guess I don't really see the connection between COVID and environmentalism?
        Maybe don’t eat earths rodents?

Comment

Working...
        X