Financially Adrift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I will probably donate more to charity

Great plans, all of them! Consider starting a donor advised fund, and donating appreciated funds to it. I started building mine up a few years ago when I found myself in a similar situation.

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies.  By financially adrift, I meant what do I do with the excess money in my bank account every month that previously I had a plan to use (I know… a good problem to have).  It is obvious, but thanks for reminding me… to live life–though I was doing a pretty good amount of that before.  I think I will probably donate more to charity and do more pro-bono/reduced fee work and continue to expand friendships and hobbies.

lol, definitely an attention-grabbing header.
      Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

You have a great start!  Congratulations on landing a great private practice and paying off your loans.  You are WAY AHEAD of most.  You have options.

Read WCI's book.

Spend some time at:

http://www.physicianonfire.com/

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/

Comment

You need an expensive hobby 

Wine and sports cars would be good starts

Bicycling, golf and skiing would be more healthy!

Beware of beer and running which are very hard to spend enough on.

Comment

Start traveling for marathons or shopping around for beers like these and you'll have no problem burning through some serious cash.

Comment

I try to limit any drinking nowadays as even a glass impairs my fun (yay for getting older), Im not doing so well as I sip a whiskey rn I guess, but its friday. One of my fav beers is Dutchess, usually like 5-9 bucks a pop, cant even afford to drink it. Annoying.

In other news I cant see this thread without hearing that old PM Dawn song. "set a drift on financial bliss" (sic)

Comment

I can relate to how you are feeling.  I'm feeling like I don't know exactly what my next direction is supposed to be. I like my work, but I don't have to work.  I have worked reduced hours for the last 15 years, and now in my late 50's, I'm still working part time. I start my days mountain biking in the woods every morning with my friends. I volunteer and donate to charity. I serve on the board of important community organizations. I go on a great trips all over the world with my spouse every year.  But I don't always feel confident that I am "earning my oxygen."  These are first world problems to say the least, but somehow I need to be making contributions that allow me to feel worthy.  I guess it remains a lifelong journey to figure it all out.

Comment

In other news I cant see this thread without hearing that old PM Dawn song. “set a drift on financial bliss” (sic)

"Christina Applegate, you gotta put me on."

A glass impairs fun? I think you meant to say "enhances," or maybe you're just doing it wrong.  8-)

Comment

In other news I cant see this thread without hearing that old PM Dawn song. “set a drift on financial bliss” (sic) 
                    Click to expand…

“Christina Applegate, you gotta put me on.”

A glass impairs fun? I think you meant to say “enhances,” or maybe you’re just doing it wrong.  ?

Next day fun. I never sleep as well if I have a drink, then I dont have as great a ride/workout on next day. Think Im just old and lame, its very sad. Terrible!

Comment

Next day fun.

OK, that makes a lot more sense. There seems to be a direct correlation between the fun in the evening and the lack thereof the next morning. You might even go so far as to say causation.

Cheers!

-PoF

Comment

Click to expand…

Start traveling for marathons or shopping around for beers like these and you’ll have no problem burning through some serious cash.

I wish I had met you sooner.

I also wish that I had not paid $50 (sunk cost) for the 15k trail race that I am headed to this morning (though there will be a beer at the end of it).

Comment

Click to expand…

Start traveling for marathons or shopping around for beers like these and you’ll have no problem burning through some serious cash.

POF seriously if you buy any of those beers you will not stay financially independent for long!  I love a good craft beer but not for $5000/bottle.

Comment

Wow those are some seriously expensive beers

I buy the occasional $25 bomber and feel guilty.  I had no idea.

Comment

Wow those are some seriously expensive beers

I buy the occasional $25 bomber and feel guilty.  I had no idea.

I think it's absurd. The "whale hunters" have taken beer snobbery to a level on par with wine snobbery, and I have no respect for any of it. Unless I can profit from it.  

I've got one Surly Barrel Aged Darkness left from 2015, and apparently they sell for $80 and up now after winning Gold at the GABF. I'm much more likely to share it than sell it, but I'll let the partakers know what they're partaking in. I bought 8 of this year's batch at $22 apiece.

Cheers!
                              -PoF

Comment

Click to expand…

“Christina Applegate, you gotta put me on.”

A glass impairs fun? I think you meant to say “enhances,” or maybe you’re just doing it wrong.  ?

Click to expand…

Next day fun. I never sleep as well if I have a drink, then I dont have as great a ride/workout on next day. Think Im just old and lame, its very sad. Terrible!

Me too. I was in the habit of having a drink in the evening, but I find that I wake up feeling much sharper if I eschew the Bailey's.
                                Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Working...
                                X