Non financial points of retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non financial points of retirement

Many of us who visit forums like this one are good savers and investors and hope to achieve financial independence and retirement.  I often hear that it is best to retire to something rather than escape from your job.  I want to get an idea of what that something is for many of you?  I often find myself bored and not fulfilled when I am on my non traveling vacation weeks and worry that retirement may not be what I imagine it to be.  I find myself thinking that part time work for as long as possible may be the answer rather than working full time until I reach that magic number.

I find myself thinking that part time work for as long as possible may be the answer rather than working full time until I reach that magic number.

I think you're right, particularly if you get bored during staycations. Going part time will give you time to find out what hobbies you enjoy, so you can actually retire to that something. I'm working on a plan to go part-time as a trial run of sorts, hopefully starting this fall.

I can't remember the last time I was bored when I had free time. Maybe as a kid when my free time wasn't really my own. I made of list of 50 things I'd like to do (or do more) in retirement.

Best,

-PoF

Comment

First and foremost I will retire to adequate sleep and exercise. I work out 4-6 times per week now but I am tired before I even begin. There is no substitute for feeling rested and fit.

Second, I'll move our home base back to my hometown where I have extended family. I'll be able to see them for football games and holidays, and impromptu trips to the gym, or a beer on the backyard deck. We'll be able to host family dinners and parties at our place. We'll reenter the ebb and flow of family life.

Third, we can travel at a leisurely pace. Currently I need to take a day off before vacation begins in order to recover from work. Then I need to come home a day early to get ready for work. I never want to take a long vacation because the backlog of work grows bigger every day that I'm gone. In retirement we can stay as long as we like and just relax, with no pile of work looming over the return.

Fourth, I'd like to devote myself to essentially full-time investing. I may publish investment research on a blog in the hope of building a community of investors who exchange ideas and find the flaws in each other's theses.

Fifth, I look forward to more quality time with my wife. I'm usually half-dead and less-than-fun when I get home from work--and then the hospital calls.
      Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

I find myself thinking that part time work for as long as possible may be the answer rather than working full time until I reach that magic number. 
        Click to expand…

I think you’re right, particularly if you get bored during staycations. Going part time will give you time to find out what hobbies you enjoy, so you can actually retire to that something. I’m working on a plan to go part-time as a trial run of sorts, hopefully starting this fall.

I can’t remember the last time I was bored when I had free time. Maybe as a kid when my free time wasn’t really my own. I made of list of 50 things I’d like to do (or do more) in retirement.

Best,

-PoF

The part-time trial run is a new plan, correct?
        Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

The part-time trial run is a new plan, correct?

I seriously contemplated it  last summer, but the whole household wasn't on board. It made sense then, still does, and my group is now aware and willing to work a bit more to allow me to work a bit less. When it becomes official (admin has to approve) I'll be writing about it.

Comment

I don't like to use the word "retirement" as it's a loaded term with associations with being put out to pasture and an end to productivity. I view stopping working as a physician as a transition to a new stage of life, one that will afford me more opportunity to use my time as I wish. I have many things I'd love to spend time on, but if I didnt, I'm not sure I'd stop working. On the other hand, if I didn't, I think it would be a wake up call to to ask myself what else my life is about than the one thing I do with so much of my time.
            My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

More time with family, golf, beach, golf, home improvement projects, golf...

Comment

More time with family, golf, beach, golf, home improvement projects, golf…

But what about golf? Will there be golf?

Comment

I think there are a lot of benefits to part-time work, both financial and non-financial. I think I'll be working into my 60s despite being pretty much financially independent. I think I'll be practicing medicine at least into my 50s.
                  Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

More time with family, golf, beach, golf, home improvement projects, golf… 
                    Click to expand…

But what about golf? Will there be golf?

Not enough golf...needs at least 20% more golf imo

Comment

I'm trying to rebalance my portfolio...

Comment

I’m trying to rebalance my portfolio…

...you're overweight in golf?  Impossible.  Golf is recession-proof.  Diversify into international golf as well, consider some small-cap golf, I'd prefer growth golf over value golf.

Comment

Don't forget about about the munis

Comment

Ok now that I am facing this question for real.  I find myself thinking what will I freaking do with my time for the next 35 years if I totally retire!

Comment

To me, being financially independent (prefer this over "retire") just gives me more flexibility with my time. I have plenty of stuff I can do. Hang out w friends, travel, cook more, knit, work on my blog, etc.

Thankfully as a derm, full time is 4 days a week (working more this year to pound out loans(, so part time wouldn't look too different. Main concern in going PT is losing health insurance benefits. Nowhere near this yet... but my current employer let's us go 5/8 and we can keep all benefits.

Comment

Working...
                              X