Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfortunately, I keep hearing (even from doctors, who have a shockingly low education level in the US) that this is a conspiracy/the flu/not that bad. And Americans are prone to exceptionalism.

As White.Beard.Doc knows, we are simply two to three weeks behind Italy.

Social distancing is the only proven way to deal with this. It's arrogance, hubris, ignorance, insane, to think otherwise.

Look at what happened in Boston: https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-bio...d=hp_lead_pos3

Comment

• Kudos to Jim for an earnest and thoughtful email to the conference attendees this afternoon. It came across as a genuine expression of concern for the safety of the attendees and their communities. I found it to be an appropriate and correct message to deliver.

NB: I was planning on attending but in the last 24 hours my medical center of over 2,000 medical staff has prohibited attendance at gatherings of >50 people.

Comment

• So the entire UC system banned large gatherings over 100.

Yet our department of medicine held Grand rounds today....talk about sending mixed messages on social distancing and density lowering....not only that but high target value of residents and division chiefs all can potentially get infected at once from the tainted bagel delivery staff

Comment

• Canadinoutlaw - that's good to hear but his response earlier in the thread was nonchalant and frankly dismissive. It is possible he is getting influenced now that events are unfolding and happening by the second and there are increasing csncellations.

Lol @ startrek. Classic irony.

Comment

• Originally posted by canadianoutlaw View Post
            Kudos to Jim for an earnest and thoughtful email to the conference attendees this afternoon. It came across as a genuine expression of concern for the safety of the attendees and their communities. I found it to be an appropriate and correct message to deliver.

NB: I was planning on attending but in the last 24 hours my medical center of over 2,000 medical staff has prohibited attendance at gatherings of >50 people.
            Can you share the email? What is the status of the conference? All our public schools closing at end of day for next two weeks.

Comment

• Pretty disappointing.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. It's sad that the conference is going to get more people infected and potentially lead to death, all for money.

Comment

• I wonder how many people will be there tomorrow when all is said and done. The ground is moving beneath our feet, and attitudes have shifted dramatically compared to even a week ago. In another month, I wonder if our hospitals will be giving us ankle monitors or giving us air mattresses and microwaves to use in our office.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panscan View Post
                  It's sad that the conference is going to get more people infected and potentially lead to death, all for money.
                  I think this is an unfair statement.

You are welcome to your opinions.

Comment

• jacoavlu I agree it sounds harsh what panscan wrote but what exactly is the reason to do the conference here ? I mean we know gatherings are nidus for the spread. So what is the right decision here ? Continue ? Or be proactive and cancel?

Conferences slated for end of this week across USA have been cancelled so that argument is weak.

I see no valid reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by formerly_cn View Post
                      jacoavlu I agree it sounds harsh what panscan wrote but what exactly is the reason to do the conference here ? I mean we know gatherings are nidus for the spread. So what is the right decision here ? Continue ? Or be proactive and cancel?

Conferences slated for end of this week across USA have been cancelled so that argument is weak.

I see no valid reason.
                      no valid reason? really? If I challenged you to try to come up with one valid reason, you really could not?

I'm not expressing an opinion about the conference. I'm not going and never planned to. If I had, I don't know if I would go. If it were my conference, I don't know what I would do.

But, Jim has said what he's said and people don't have to like it but to say things like "all for money" and "no valid reason" is disingenuous.

Comment

• March madness is going to be played in empty arenas.

Yet Big East and SEC are moving forward with their invincible fanbase.

Comment

• What is the valid reason? Are there going to be magic secrets that the physicians and other professionals can't wait a month or two to learn or perhaps discuss online?

My post is frank but it's accurate.

Comment

• jacoavlu you are telling me A reason. But yes, current situation, with what we know you find Jim's response as valid admist mutliple large events getting cancelled ?

Ok. I guess. I completely disagree and yes would like a reason that makes sense. I don't think this is money related and Jim is better than that, so I am failing to see a valid reason.

Comment

• do you think there are not already people in Vegas for the conference? Or people getting on a plane tomorrow? Do you think no one would be upset to cancel at this point?

I don't really care, I think adults can make their own decisions, which is exactly what everyone has done and will do.

Comment

• I think some of the reasons the armchair quarterbacking annoys me is that this isn't your typical CME conference. It isn't run by a bunch of professional society minions in a fancy condo in Chicago who make a bunch of money by sending you dues invoices, cutting ribbons, and holding inconsequential meetings. When a crisis occurs, all the staff that your money supports can be mobilized. WCI is not exactly a one man band but it still feels like more of a mom and pop shop, in which a few people do a lot of heavy lifting to put this together. It's only their second time putting this together, and the first rendition was about half of this year's scale.

I do think that it's a bad optic to carry on when we're starting to see widespread cancellations of conferences, March Madness now being played in empty arenas, and schools beginning to close. But without knowing the scope of conference management and the financial/PR ramifications of cancelling, I think it's presumptuous to predict we'd manage the situation differently. Do conference organizers routinely train in disaster preparedness? In Las Vegas which very rarely has natural disasters, I'm not sure it would have even crossed my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X