Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corona Virus and Las Vegas Conference

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Corona Virus and Las Vegas Conference

    Given the current corona virus situation and the day to day changes in the US as new case are discovered , is anybody cancelling their attendance for the upcoming Las Vegas White Coat Investor conference? I would really hate to miss it but given the fluid situation, nonessential travel may be restricted in the upcoming days. I am coming from the East Coast so it will be big decision. Any thought out there?

  • #2
    I plan on isolating myself in a really nice hotel suite. I’m going find another like-minded traveler who is equally cautious, and insist they be fit, young and healthy to minimize risk and maximize aesthetic appreciation. Together we will “ride out the storm”, in a comfortable place where droplet precautions need not be observed.

    Comment


    • #3
      Cancelling domestic travel isn't even on my radar. As an ER doc with a kid, I have two much more likely sources of infection. As I wrote elsewhere, the bigger concern is getting quarantined because of international travel. If we get to the point of domestic quarantines/travel restrictions, well, there are gonna be some bigger issues than the dollars lost on a conference.

      But--it might be worth rechecking hotel prices!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by G View Post
        Cancelling domestic travel isn't even on my radar. As an ER doc with a kid, I have two much more likely sources of infection. As I wrote elsewhere, the bigger concern is getting quarantined because of international travel. If we get to the point of domestic quarantines/travel restrictions, well, there are gonna be some bigger issues than the dollars lost on a conference.

        But--it might be worth rechecking hotel prices!
        Actually, looks like there are rooms at Paris (there weren't 3-4 weeks ago) for a good price ($100 less than 1-2weeks ago)

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm not concerned about getting the virus. I'm concerned that cases will escalate in west coast (now that it's in CA and WA states). The last thing I want is to be placed in a quarantine somewhere in NV because I was in a plane or room because somebody got the illness.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            I'm not concerned about getting the virus. I'm concerned that cases will escalate in west coast (now that it's in CA and WA states). The last thing I want is to be placed in a quarantine somewhere in NV because I was in a plane or room because somebody got the illness.
            like I alluded to, if they try to quarantine you for going to vegas, the actual logistics of being quarantined are going to be overcome by the anarchy going in the streets.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              I'm not concerned about getting the virus. I'm concerned that cases will escalate in west coast (now that it's in CA and WA states). The last thing I want is to be placed in a quarantine somewhere in NV because I was in a plane or room because somebody got the illness.
              and btw, I don't think I like your tone of voice. southern Nevada is very nice this time of year.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                Given the current corona virus situation and the day to day changes in the US as new case are discovered , is anybody cancelling their attendance for the upcoming Las Vegas White Coat Investor conference? I would really hate to miss it but given the fluid situation, nonessential travel may be restricted in the upcoming days. I am coming from the East Coast so it will be big decision. Any thought out there?
                just flew west to east.
                maybe a third wearing masks. so i felt safer from them haha.
                watched multiple ppl leave the bathroom and not wash their hands per usual.....

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm a freak.

                  I cancelled a trip to Disney last week.

                  Cancelled my specialty annual conference in March.

                  Cancelled my subspecialty annual conference in April.

                  And likely cancelling a family cruise in August (although in truth, we are also going with additional family members who annoy me so this cancellation is two-pronged)

                  Incidentally, everyone has been very kind about the cancellations and waiving cancellation fees with the exception of the airlines and my subspecialty conference

                  I think my likelihood of getting the disease is low but to be honest, the ever increasingly depressing news of the coronavirus scares me and I'd rather hedge my bets by staying home as much as possible.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post
                    I plan on isolating myself in a really nice hotel suite. I’m going find another like-minded traveler who is equally cautious, and insist they be fit, young and healthy to minimize risk and maximize aesthetic appreciation. Together we will “ride out the storm”, in a comfortable place where droplet precautions need not be observed.
                    Why this is ingenious. I will now in fact be making travel plans to Vegas with a similar strategy in place.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I cancelled my ski trip to Japan a couple of weeks back. We had a flight connecting in China. At that point I was concerned about getting quarantined abroad or upon my return home, but as of now I am planning to attend WCICOM.

                      I don't worry as much about getting quarantined in Vegas, but things could change. The plan for now is to go.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post
                        I plan on isolating myself in a really nice hotel suite. I’m going find another like-minded traveler who is equally cautious, and insist they be fit, young and healthy to minimize risk and maximize aesthetic appreciation. Together we will “ride out the storm”, in a comfortable place where droplet precautions need not be observed.
                        I just hope they don’t punch you in the face in the process

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thank you for the input. I'm going to play things by ear, depending on how things evolve next week. If the numbers continue to climb in the west coast, esp if new cases surface in Las Vegas, I may cancel. It's a pain but I would hate to be quarantined. Talk about life disruption!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post
                            I cancelled my ski trip to Japan a couple of weeks back. We had a flight connecting in China. At that point I was concerned about getting quarantined abroad or upon my return home, but as of now I am planning to attend WCICOM.

                            I don't worry as much about getting quarantined in Vegas, but things could change. The plan for now is to go.
                            I didn't know that you were going to ski. I mentioned that I just got back from Japan earlier this month, also for a ski trip: the snow was awful.

                            I connected through NRT; at the time I wasn't worried about quarantine coming from there, but these days, who knows!? I'd rather not spend my vaca constantly checking to see if I'm going to be on a no-fly list. Although I'm pretty sure I could make lemonade out of that lemon, even with crumby snow.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Unless things change drastically in the next two weeks, I have no intention of changing plans.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X